Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most cohesive tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) (PA/NJ/DE) (DC/MD/VA)
NYC Metro NY/NJ/CT 31 43.66%
Philadelphia Metro PA/NJ/DE 4 5.63%
DC Metro DC/MD/VA 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:50 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,096,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This is just subjective opinion though, because you didn't grow up in a large city like that. I remember when I first went to Philadelphia as a kid I expected it to be a city roughly comparable in size to New York (Philly is, afterall, in the top10 largest cities in the US I learned that in school!). I was actually shocked how small it was, I literally thought I was in some town in Philly suburbs....lol.
This is only subjective to New Yorkers, lol...maybe LA folks. The vast majority of Americans would have a similar perspective I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 01:58 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is only subjective to New Yorkers, lol...maybe LA folks. The vast majority of Americans would have a similar perspective I'm sure.
Also to people who grew up in major cities in other countries. I didn't grow up in the US, but I did grow up in a large city. When I came to NYC it was pretty "standard" as far as city size goes.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:10 PM

18,498 posts, read 15,303,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
"Peak" hours start at 11am on the weekend for a reason.

But we could always start a thread about it in the NY or NJ forums to see what everyone's experiences have been like.
You are talking about EZ Pass peak hours. I am talking about real peak hours. EZ Pass peak hours is a business decision. If you want to start a thread, go for it. But you will probably get more realistic results on the NJ forum than the NY forum. People from NJ do the trip all the time. People from NY, much less frequently.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:16 PM

32,155 posts, read 34,833,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You are talking about EZ Pass peak hours. I am talking about real peak hours. EZ Pass peak hours is a business decision. If you want to start a thread, go for it. But you will probably get more realistic results on the NJ forum than the NY forum. People from NJ do the trip all the time. People from NY, much less frequently.
Those are the "real" peak hours. There's a reason why Saturday from 11am to 9pm is considered "peak" whereas Wednesday at 2pm isn't. It's not because they simply want to stick it to EZ pass tag holders; its' because demand is high during those hours. They attempt to regulate congestion into Manhattan by raising the price at times when the most drivers are on the road.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:18 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,096,313 times
Quote:
Also to people who grew up in major cities in other countries. I didn't grow up in the US, but I did grow up in a large city. When I came to NYC it was pretty "standard" as far as city size goes.
They would still be in the minority.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,191,117 times
This poll is currently at a dead heat. Interesting.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:21 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,648,864 times
Quote:
Yea but most people in America didn't grow up in NYC, LA, London (which honestly doesn't feel nearly as large as NYC), Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Rio, Cairo, Moscow, etc.

In fact, most people in the US today probably didn't even grow up in cities the size of Philly, Boston, SF, Madrid, Vienna, Sydney, Melbourne, etc

So I would think most people in the US today share my perspective that NYC is so utterly large that even NNJ feels a world apart, relative to the relationship between Northern VA and DC or MD.

You come from a unique perspective if you grew up in a highly urbanized, first world(ish) city of 10+ million people.

There are 320 million people in the US today and over 7 billion around the world. Most in either group did not grow up in NYC or Tokyo or Paris equivalents.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,030,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Yea but most people in America didn't grow up in NYC, LA, London (which honestly doesn't feel nearly as large as NYC), Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Rio, Cairo, Moscow, etc.

In fact, most people in the US today probably didn't even grow up in cities the size of Philly, Boston, SF, Madrid, Vienna, Sydney, Melbourne, etc

So I would think most people in the US today share my perspective that NYC is so utterly large that even NNJ feels a world apart, relative to the relationship between Northern VA and DC or MD.

You come from a unique perspective if you grew up in a highly urbanized, first world(ish) city of 10+ million people.

There are 320 million people in the US today and over 7 billion around the world. Most in either group did not grow up in NYC or Tokyo or Paris equivalents.
Except those of us who live here, and our opinion matters a lot I think.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:24 PM

32,155 posts, read 34,833,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Except those of us who live here, and our opinion matters a lot I think.
But I live here too...

Old 09-23-2015, 02:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,030,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But I live here too...
Who said your opinion did not matter? I merely said to not speak for everyone in NYC when you say it is difficult and long to get to NJ. I understand it's that way for you in Brooklyn, but not necessarily everyone else living everywhere else. It makes sense for it to be like that for you in Brooklyn. Guess what - it's not exactly a walk in the park for us in NJ to get to Brooklyn, either. These things work both ways. But someone living closer to NJ than Brooklyn may just have an easier time.

As for the post I quoted, if the majority in the 20 million populated NYC metro area feel it is NOT too large, that matters. No offense to everyone else, but this is about cohesiveness. How a local feels about cohesiveness matters more than a tourist or observer because we actually live it. YOU may think it's too large, and that's fine, but we may not, and that opinion may matter a bit more as we're the ones who have to live here and know the ins and outs, quite literally, of getting places and what it's like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City