Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pacific Coast Beaches vs Atlantic Coast Beaches
Pacific Coast 30 38.46%
Atlantic Coast 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:44 PM

699 posts, read 610,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Anyone who has swam at La Jolla Shores or pretty much any SD beach knows plenty of people are swimming or playing in the waves and not running in and out. I provided several threads that show plenty of people who find 70 degree water comfortable, so it appears you're the only lying or are ignorant of other people's preferences.
No one finds 70 degrees comfortable. They may like cold, but how can they find it comfortable if they will die in that water within a couple hours?

Again, the comfort for the vast majority of people is 84 degrees. That's what resorts keep their pools at. Anytime you step in a pool, that is how 84 degrees water feels like.

70 is just too damn cold, if resorts try to keep their pools at that temperature they will be sued for providing "ice water" for customers to swim in.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post

Again, the comfort for the vast majority of people is 84 degrees. That's what resorts keep their pools at. Anytime you step in a pool, that is how 84 degrees water feels like.

70 is just too damn cold, if resorts try to keep their pools at that temperature they will be sued for providing "ice water" for customers to swim in.
Most of the pools I've swam in are outdoor pools. They're more likely to be closer to 70°F than 84°F.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most of the pools I've swam in are outdoor pools. They're more likely to be closer to 70°F than 84°F.
Even outdoor pools are heated, and they will be only 70 degrees in the morning, or on cool days if they are not heated in the summer where you're at, Massachusetts.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:50 PM

317 posts, read 378,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm not even sure what you mean by your statement, go as far out in the Atlantic? what? Yeah playing in the waves...jumping into them, over them, under, getting tossed around, and especially body surfing and riding a wave in. I like boogie boarding too but didn't do it that often. I just think swimming in calm waters is like swimming in a pool, kind of boring in comparison but I can still enjoy myself. Waves are fun to play in imo which is why a lot of water parks have wave pools.
Actually that's exactly where I'm lost in the whole point of your statement. Like I already said the Atlantic is still an ocean, you are a puny human being in comparison.

Even the tallest of dudes in a place like Daytona Beach for example, will have to stop after a certain point, because if they go any deeper the waves will be big enough to go over their heads, devour them, drown them, send them to the hospital, the morgue...

If your goal is to break surfing records, yes you will find the Atlantic lacking in comparison (the US side anyways). Having large enough waves to play in with your physical body however is not among the issues. In fact it's better in the Atlantic strictly due to the fact that it's warmer. So yeah that's kind of where I'm lost on the point. Unless you were just comparing waves vs non waves in general, which might come in useful in some ocean vs lake debate.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:51 PM

317 posts, read 378,117 times
70 is on the colder side for water. By most of the country's standards anyways.

Last edited by cityguy7; 01-25-2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 12:54 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Actually that's exactly where I'm lost in the whole point of your statement. Like I already said the Atlantic is still an ocean, you are a puny human being in comparison.

Even the tallest of dudes in a place like Daytona Beach for example, will have to stop after a certain point, because if they go any deeper the waves will be big enough to go over their heads, devour them, drown them, send them to the hospital, the morgue...

If your goal is to break surfing records, yes you will find the Atlantic lacking in comparison (the US side anyways). Having large enough waves to play in with your physical body however is not among the issues. In fact that's better in the Atlantic strictly due to being warmer. So yeah that's kind of where I'm lost on the point. Unless you were comparing waves vs non waves in general, which might come is useful is some ocean vs lake debate.

Waves on the east coast wont drown you unless its a storm or you cant swim.
Places like Miami often times have no waves.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:56 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
84 degrees = old people? For water? LOL.

Can anybody spot the guy that can't tell the difference between air and water temperatures?

What do you mean. Pools are heated that warm for old people. Not kids, not young adults.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:02 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,437,252 times
I don't remember getting into a pool at 84 degrees at all.
This dude just makes stuff up all the time to fit his beliefs.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
What do you mean. Pools are heated that warm for old people. Not kids, not young adults.
Lol, most people who use the pools at resorts are kids, and adults of those kids.

14 degrees colder than comfortable.

14 degrees colder.

Oh boy, lol.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I think to distill this even further, one can say

Pacific Coast for people who want a more natural, rugged and wild beach experience an any time of the year.
(biodiversity and gorgeous topography/backdrops/better protected)

Atlantic Coast for those who want a more comfortable beach experience once in a while. Beach towns cater to tourists, not as much "nature", warmer water to swim, and "once in a while" (between noreasters in the winter and tropical storms in the summer).
Haha there aren't THAT many summer tropical storms that stop you from going to the beach that makes it a "once in a while" experience.

I can't think of a hurricane/tropical storm that even made landfall in my region last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City