Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,568 times

Advertisements

I think many "city" rivalries are actually sports rivalries. Those are the times when there are two actual teams that play against each other and try to beat each other. Fans of the respective teams then transfer those feelings onto the other city.

NYC vs LA: These are two very different ideals of what a place should be like. East coast vs west coast. A traditional type-A city vs the laid back southern California lifestyle. And of course they are the two largest cities in the US

Washington vs Baltimore: Two cities that are very close geographically but very different culturally. White collar vs blue collar

Seattle vs Portland: Competition to be the best of the Pacific NW

In-State rivalries: these people come into frequent contact with each other and often compete for residents, companies, etc:
Dallas vs Houston
Cleveland vs Cincinnati vs Columbus
San Fran vs LA
Memphis vs Nashville
Philly vs Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:46 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
The SF v LA rivalry is definitely only between the Giants and the Dodgers. Trust me when I say that nobody in LA walks around talking about how much they hate SF on a regular basis. You often overhear conversations at bars and restaurants in SF about how much superior SF is to LA or how much a new transplant to SF is so glad they left LA.

I also don't think NYC v Chicago exists as much, because it's mostly just from Chicago in my experience. I could be wrong though.

The two most obvious I can think of, though, are NYC v Boston and Houston v Dallas.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:48 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What do you mean?
There is not a real rivalry. Just a dreamed up one on city data.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:56 AM

54 posts, read 65,729 times
Richmond vs. Raleigh

Old 01-20-2016, 12:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
The most legitimate ones IMO, are:

Seattle vs. Portland

Houston vs. Dallas

I do see the NYC vs LA one, but not so much a competition of who is better, but rather lifestyles. New Yorkers are more likely to talk down on LA (especially when it comes to our public transportation), but Angelenos are more likely to consider it undesirable while recognizing all it has to offer. I mean, I remember couple years ago when NIMBY Angelenos would say "Manhattanization" like it translated to the end of all life as we know it.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
[quote=po-boy;42706410]I think many "city" rivalries are actually sports rivalries. /QUOTE]

Given the massive popularity of sports in this country/world, I don't think you should downplay this factor at all. There's a reason why Yankees-Red Sox has been used in political posturing, for example. I can't think of another factor besides the obvious in proximity/same state that contributes as much to a rivalry.

Sports are a huge generator of money for cities, and I actually do think they're usually the strongest indicators of civic rivalries (not always, though; Dallas-Houston isn't very strong in sports, yet that, despite what another poster stated, is a premiere rivalry).

Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
NYC'ers do that to very city
Yes. They are very loud and aggressive with it too.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:33 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
LA vs San Fran (San Fran hates LA. LA doesnt care)
Charlotte vs The Triangle
Boston vs NYC (Boston hates NYC more but NYC doesnt care)
Dallas vs Houston

Old 01-20-2016, 12:35 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Under the terms set by the OP, LA vs SF/The Bay, doesn't count. No one in LA is aware of such rivalry, it's pretty much all one direction.
^^^This, outside of Dodgers vs Giants, it's all a one way hate from the north to the south.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Correct. The only legit rivalry between San Francisco/the Bay Area and Los Angeles is between the Dodgers and the Giants. Other than that, it's definitely one-sided, with people up north always talking smack and having something to say about Los Angeles. Same goes for San Diego.

I don't see any rivalry between Los Angeles and New York.
Yeah, mention Los Angeles to somebody in San Francisco, and you can expect a certain response. Mention SF in LA, and it triggers of unhinged tirade about...wonderful restaurants with lovely views.

Anybody who thinks the predominant attitude held by Angelenos towards SF is one of "rivalry" has no idea what they are talking about.

Last edited by nslander; 01-20-2016 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City