Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 11:59 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
In general...
NYC v. Philly
NYC v. Boston
NYC v. Chicago
Chicago v. Detroit
Chicago v. Saint Louis
LA v. San Francisco
Dallas v. Houston
Philly v. Pittsburgh
Cleveland v. Cincinnati
DC v. Baltimore

Bonus: NYC v. LA
Best comparison IMO
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 12:02 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It always seems to me that the "larger city" within a city rivalry will go to great lengths to deny that it exists. It's as if it's beneath them to admit the rivalry exists or somehow comparing ones city to a smaller city is insulting. The classic example of efforts to blunt this sort of situation comes from New Yorkers who often make statements here on C-D that there is no comparison to NYC.
Not true. Boston vs. New York. It's there & we recognize it. It's mostly based off sports though, but I can't stand Boston either way. Maybe my dislike stem from me hating the Red Sox and the Patriots (since I was a kid, because of my family, etc) but that's another thread.

Against other cities though? Another poster was spot on. Among other cities there is no comparisons (or rather competition) to NY for rivalries to begin. Everything can be compared in America, let me say that first. But if ultimately NY comes out on top in mostly every category, why would we have to initiate a rivalry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
The "New Yorkers are real, but Angelenos are fake" so-called argument is my favorite.
lol, I don't say this because I hate generalizations of people. Yeah, on average New Yorkers are more loud, aggressive and blunt. While on the West, LA-people are more chill, soft spoken and passive. I wouldn't say one is more real or fake over the other. Both cities have it's moments. What I will say though is the cultural differences between the two is definitely noticeable. That's where that notion probably originated.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:09 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Under the terms set by the OP, LA vs SF/The Bay, doesn't count. No one in LA is aware of such rivalry, it's pretty much all one direction.
There's definitely a rivalry. However, it is mostly one sided with people from SF always taking jabs

Old 01-21-2016, 04:46 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Boston/New York
New York/Philly
New York/LA
DC/Baltimore

Cleveland/Cincinnati
Detroit/Chicago
St. Louis/Chicago

Houston/Dallas

LA/San Francisco

These are the largest, most well known city rivalries. Of course, there are probably hundreds of smaller, regional rivalries nationwide, that hold plenty influence but just aren't significant on a national scale:

VA
Petersburg/Hopewell
Richmond/Norfolk
Norfolk/Virginia Beach
Richmond/DC

NY
Buffalo/Rochester (Syracuse, but less so)
Elmira/Binghamton/Ithaca
Albany/Schenectady

Carolina
Charleston/Columbia/Greenville
Greensboro/Winston
Charlotte/Raleigh
Durham/Raleigh
Charlotte/Atlanta

Nashville/Memphis...tons of smaller, regional rivalries...

Old 01-21-2016, 06:03 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
The second-tier cities in Georgia--Augusta, Columbus, Macon....Savannah is pretty much exempted though.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:51 AM

14,018 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Not true. Boston vs. New York. It's there & we recognize it. It's mostly based off sports though, but I can't stand Boston either way. Maybe my dislike stem from me hating the Red Sox and the Patriots (since I was a kid, because of my family, etc) but that's another thread.

Against other cities though? Another poster was spot on. Among other cities there is no comparisons (or rather competition) to NY for rivalries to begin. Everything can be compared in America, let me say that first. But if ultimately NY comes out on top in mostly every category, why would we have to initiate a rivalry?

lol, I don't say this because I hate generalizations of people. Yeah, on average New Yorkers are more loud, aggressive and blunt. While on the West, LA-people are more chill, soft spoken and passive. I wouldn't say one is more real or fake over the other. Both cities have it's moments. What I will say though is the cultural differences between the two is definitely noticeable. That's where that notion probably originated.
That's true, if you ever ask a New Yorker what they think of Boston its
1) its backwater trash blablabla
or
2) I actually like Boston. (as if they are suppose to dislike it)

Old 01-21-2016, 07:02 AM

638 posts, read 623,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I never hear any talk of Kansas City in my daily life in St. Louis. I often read like on cd of there being a rivalry. Mostly from people from KC.
They're both Missouri cities, so some rivalry is expected. They are more natural (or should we say modern) rivals than St. Louis and Chicago.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
There are a lot of cities that have rivals with New York, because, well, it's New York. There are varying reasons and degree of rivalry--all rivalries are NOT equally intense. However, I believe New York reciprocates rivalry to:

-Boston, first and foremost. There is a general dislike of Boston culture and sports that is not really found towards another city.
-New York holds political rivalries with Albany (state) and DC (federal). New York press is constantly bashing/screaming about both cities, and both Albany and DC return the favor in varying degree...
-There is a real rivalry with Los Angeles, but was born mostly by circumstance. New Yorkers certainly don't hate LA the way they hate Boston. But both cities are the clear Alphas of the United States, that sit at polar opposites of the nation. The cities are constantly compared (sports, media, cinema, arts) in nearly every medium of life. And residents of both cities know this. Again, certainly not a hatred, but to deny that an LA\NY rivalry exists is absurd...
-Philadelphia. To a small degree, I think it was more intense in yesteryear...
-New Jersey. Pretty self explanatory!

Any rivalry with Chicago was small in time and a thing of the past. New York really doesnt reciprocate the imagined beefs other cities have with it...

Old 01-21-2016, 08:38 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post

You forgot judgmental

Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
-New York holds political rivalries with Albany (state) and DC (federal). New York press is constantly bashing/screaming about both cities, and both Albany and DC return the favor in varying degree...
-There is a real rivalry with Los Angeles, but was born mostly by circumstance. New Yorkers certainly don't hate LA the way they hate Boston. But both cities are the clear Alphas of the United States, that sit at polar opposites of the nation. The cities are constantly compared (sports, media, cinema, arts) in nearly every medium of life. And residents of both cities know this. Again, certainly not a hatred, but to deny that an LA\NY rivalry exists is absurd...
NY - DC rivalry is definitely true....not among the average resident of each city but within a certain intellectual circle...the political top dog vs the economic top dog

I agree on the NYC - LA rivalry as well

DC - Bmore rivalry is not what it once was but still exists to some degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City