Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 AM

4,511 posts, read 4,040,975 times

Advertisements

Would be interesting to also list who is the main instigator in each vs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 09:23 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Disagreed. NY/LA is a natural rivalry based off of being the two major cities in the country. The creative classes, economies, worldliness/global appeals of both places are definitely compared and contrasted nonstop. Both cities excel in different areas as well as some of the same areas. I will say what adds to it being a rivalry is that NY and NY'ers generally see themselves as the center of the universe, that all life goes through NY. The only city NY generally acknowledges as being a "big" or city worthy of comparison is LA...

LA generally feels as though it's the overall top city in the nation, which pound for pound just isn't true. Angelenos seem to believe that nowhere else in America has a better quality of life and that LA offers the best of everything for everyone. LA doesn't like being called second to anyone, even though it's miles ahead of whoever is third...

Again, not a fiery rivalry, but a real one that has existed for decades, probably since the relocation of cinema and studios to LA from the East Coast...
Have you ever lived in Los Angeles for a long period of time? My guess is no.

Angelenos don't care what others think about our city. Where did you get the notion we think our city is top in the nation? Television?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Quote:
So who is Chicago's rival? I do know it isn't New York; a rivalry is a two way affair. New York doesn't hold a rivalry towards Chicago...

I'm not familiar with Chicago, so I'll assume you're right about St. Louis and Detroit...
I'm not buying it. I have family in, and know many people in Chicago. I've NEVER heard a rivalry mentioned with any city, and have never heard anyone mention St. Louis or Detroit. If you're talking sports, maybe, but there would be other cities, as well. Other than sports, why would St. Louis be on anyone's radar. Same with Detroit. You can't just make this stuff up, to come up with a rival, you know.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:29 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,588 times
A few thoughts on rivalries mentioned by others:

Chicago doesn't seem to have a "true" rival b/c it is on such a different level than other cities. Some Chicago boosters may think of Chicago as a rival to NYC but that really isn't the case b/c NY is just so much bigger and more powerful. NY does not view it as a rivalry at all. Several of the large midwestern cities on the other hand have boosters that view themselves as a rival to Chicago, but Chicago is so much bigger and more powerful than them that it is not a rivalry from Chicago's POV. Chicago, IMO is a 'tweener b/c it is so clearly between the alpha city (NY) and the cities the next tier down (Milwaukee, Detroit, etc).

Also, I disagree w/ the person who said Richmond and Raleigh. Those are two very different cities in different states. I guess they have some similarities like size and general region, but I have spent time in both and it never occurred to me to compare them. Raleigh and Charlotte are more natural rivals b/c they are in the same state and thus compete over resources to some degree. As others have said they are very different, but being in the same state there is some competition/rivarly.

I think there is *some* rivalry between Charlotte and Atlanta, but it is not that extreme b/c Atlanta is so much larger. The situation is a little bit like the Chicago-NY in that Atlanta is just so far ahead. Charlotte is obviously growing very quickly, but so is Atlanta. The two do sometimes compete though. I remember both bid on the NASCAR Hall of Fame and Charlotte "won" although it is my understanding that the HOF has not been very successful. I think that rivalry is more of a big brother - little brother thing, where there are some similarities but also a clear different in size.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:34 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
NC is the birthplace of NASCAR along with Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt, so the HOF is obviously located in Charlotte over Atlanta.

At the core, Raleigh and Richmond are different. The two metros, overall, aren't terribly different. Think suburbs like Henrico and North Raleigh. Also, NC and VA are very similar states.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:36 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,707 times
Quote:
Disagreed. NY/LA is a natural rivalry based off of being the two major cities in the country. The creative classes, economies, worldliness/global appeals of both places are definitely compared and contrasted nonstop. Both cities excel in different areas as well as some of the same areas. I will say what adds to it being a rivalry is that NY and NY'ers generally see themselves as the center of the universe, that all life goes through NY. The only city NY generally acknowledges as being a "big" or city worthy of comparison is LA...

LA generally feels as though it's the overall top city in the nation, which pound for pound just isn't true. Angelenos seem to believe that nowhere else in America has a better quality of life and that LA offers the best of everything for everyone. LA doesn't like being called second to anyone, even though it's miles ahead of whoever is third...

Again, not a fiery rivalry, but a real one that has existed for decades, probably since the relocation of cinema and studios to LA from the East Coast...
LOL have you actually met a person from Los Angeles? This not a common sentiment at all. Certain things-- maybe--everything? No.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:24 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,184 times
Quote:
Boston/New York

VA
Petersburg/Hopewell
Richmond/Norfolk
Norfolk/Virginia Beach
Richmond/DC

I take it that your Richmond/ DC rivalry has to do with NOVA and not the DMV itself. I guess there is a rivalry on a purely political level. DC itself has no rivalry with Richmond.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:04 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I never hear any talk of Kansas City in my daily life in St. Louis. I often read like on cd of there being a rivalry. Mostly from people from KC.
Agreed. Nobody in St. Louis thinks about KC on a regular basis.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:17 PM

382 posts, read 488,424 times
Nashville vs. Louisville is an even more intense rivalry than Nashville vs. Memphis.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:27 PM

638 posts, read 623,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Agreed. Nobody in St. Louis thinks about KC on a regular basis.

Kansas Citians don't think about St Louis on a regular basis either. However, that does not mean there isn't a rivalry between the two cities. St Louis is really Kansas City's only legitimate rival. They share the same state and are both of similar size. KC and St. Louis are each others natural and present day rivals.
It seems this thread is full of a bunch of people trying to show how their city is too prestigious to be a rival of another city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City