Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:51 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

If you were to make a list of the 10 best city vs. city rivalries in the United States, which 10 rivalries would make the list? You can rank these rivalries in order from first to tenth or you can choose to just make a list of ten, assuming they all carry similar weight.

some caveats here:

1. sports teams can be part of the rivalry, but they shouldn't be central to it. For example, there once was a strong rivalry between the Redskins and the Cowboys, but that hardly makes Washington and Dallas true rivals.

2. the rivalry needs to be recognized and is important to both cities (which may eliminate many so called rivalries between NYC and certain other cities where the rivalry is only recognized in the other city and not in New York). there has to be a degree of equity, of both players having skin the game.

3. As much as possible, the rivalry should have a degree of recognition beyond just the vicinity of the two cities involved.

4. the list should have no bearing to the best rivalries on City/Data; the forum should be irrelevant to your choices.

so what would be your picks for the honor of "Best US city vs. city rivalries, 2016 version"???????????

and please feel free to tell why any (or all) of your listed rivalries is so strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 04:54 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
In general...
NYC v. Philly
NYC v. Boston
NYC v. Chicago
Chicago v. Detroit
Chicago v. Saint Louis
LA v. San Francisco
Dallas v. Houston
Philly v. Pittsburgh
Cleveland v. Cincinnati
DC v. Baltimore

Bonus: NYC v. LA

Old 01-19-2016, 04:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Springfield vs Shelbyville

Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Off the top of my head:

Boston vs Philly
Houston vs DFW
LA vs the Bay Area
Indianapolis vs Columbus
Cleveland vs Columbus vs Cincinnati

Old 01-19-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Springfield vs Shelbyville
Springfield vs. Shelbyville is not a rivalry: it is a world-class, full combat war.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,286 times
NYC vs. Boston
STL vs. Chicago (mostly for baseball, but people of Chicago have a hobby of ridiculing Saint Louisans)
Seattle vs. Portland (more of a cultural war)

Old 01-19-2016, 06:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
2. the rivalry needs to be recognized and is important to both cities (which may eliminate many so called rivalries between NYC and certain other cities where the rivalry is only recognized in the other city and not in New York). there has to be a degree of equity, of both players having skin the game..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
In general...
NYC v. Philly
NYC v. Boston
NYC v. Chicago
Chicago v. Detroit
Chicago v. Saint Louis
LA v. San Francisco
Dallas v. Houston
Philly v. Pittsburgh
Cleveland v. Cincinnati
DC v. Baltimore

Bonus: NYC v. LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Off the top of my head:

LA vs the Bay Area
Under the terms set by the OP, LA vs SF/The Bay, doesn't count. No one in LA is aware of such rivalry, it's pretty much all one direction.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Under the terms set by the OP, LA vs SF/The Bay, doesn't count. No one in LA is aware of such rivalry, it's pretty much all one direction.
Please tell me you're not serious here. San Francisco vs. Los Angeles is the arguably the premiere city vs. city rivalry in the US, held together by enough lore and enough stories to make it a true blockbuster.

no state has two such megacities of top global ranking as california (texas doesn't come close with dallas and houston) and their relationship and their rivalry has been tied up as an intregal part of Golden State history.

Yes, I would say SF was well int ascent during the second half of the 19th century when it alone was "The City". The early to mid-20th century was good to LA with the growth of Hollywood, the oil industry, and the war machinery industry and the city was in ascent.

flash forward to today with the growth and power of Silicon Valley and SF touted as a second NYC as a place to life and work and you have today a degree of parity between SF/Bay Area and LA/Metro LA perhaps unique in their history.

San Francisco vs. Los Angeles is huge: from Union Square to Wilshire Boulevard, from Embarcadero Center to Century City, from Cal/Stanford to UCLA/USC.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:27 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
NYC vs. Boston
STL vs. Chicago (mostly for baseball, but people of Chicago have a hobby of ridiculing Saint Louisans)
Seattle vs. Portland (more of a cultural war)
The Cubs and Cardinals thing is actually fun. I like to see the Cub fans come to St. Louis all liquored up with their chest stuck out. I just send them over to Imos and make them eat it.

The cities dont compare at all. St. Louis has a lot of Chicagoans. Some embrace it others dont. The ones who embrace the city usually refer to St. Louis as Chicago South due to the high percentage of Chicago transplants in the city. The ones who don't like to bad talk St. Louis and thats when I have to school them on the reality of their home town and they soon remember why they left.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Then there is Memphis and Nashville. I think Nashville looks down their noses at Memphis and that is a little irritating although I would live in Nashville any day before I would go back to Memphis.

Everytime I'm in Atlanta I hear people from NYC brag on their city and how Atlanta is inferior. I guess there might be a rivalry or a big bully syndrome there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City