Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times

Advertisements

Cleveland/Cincinnati
Cincinnati/Columbus
Columbus/Cleveland

(Contemporary Midwestern reincarnations of ancient Athens-vs-Sparta-vs-Corinth)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:47 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Boston/New York
New York/Philly
New York/LA
DC/Baltimore

Cleveland/Cincinnati
Detroit/Chicago
St. Louis/Chicago

Houston/Dallas

LA/San Francisco

These are the largest, most well known city rivalries. Of course, there are probably hundreds of smaller, regional rivalries nationwide, that hold plenty influence but just aren't significant on a national scale:

VA
Petersburg/Hopewell
Richmond/Norfolk
Norfolk/Virginia Beach
Richmond/DC

NY
Buffalo/Rochester (Syracuse, but less so)
Elmira/Binghamton/Ithaca
Albany/Schenectady

Carolina
Charleston/Columbia/Greenville
Greensboro/Winston
Charlotte/Raleigh
Durham/Raleigh
Charlotte/Atlanta

Nashville/Memphis...tons of smaller, regional rivalries...
Besides sports, Chicago has *no* rivalry whatsoever with St. Louis or Detroit. Really Chicago's only rivalry is NYC, and frankly, it's somewhat unrequited.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:51 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,635 times
Quote:
There are a lot of cities that have rivals with New York, because, well, it's New York. There are varying reasons and degree of rivalry--all rivalries are NOT equally intense. However, I believe New York reciprocates rivalry to:

-Boston, first and foremost. There is a general dislike of Boston culture and sports that is not really found towards another city.
-New York holds political rivalries with Albany (state) and DC (federal). New York press is constantly bashing/screaming about both cities, and both Albany and DC return the favor in varying degree...
-There is a real rivalry with Los Angeles, but was born mostly by circumstance. New Yorkers certainly don't hate LA the way they hate Boston. But both cities are the clear Alphas of the United States, that sit at polar opposites of the nation. The cities are constantly compared (sports, media, cinema, arts) in nearly every medium of life. And residents of both cities know this. Again, certainly not a hatred, but to deny that an LA\NY rivalry exists is absurd...
-Philadelphia. To a small degree, I think it was more intense in yesteryear...
-New Jersey. Pretty self explanatory!

Any rivalry with Chicago was small in time and a thing of the past. New York really doesnt reciprocate the imagined beefs other cities have with it...
If there is a rivalry its one way. I'm not sure If I've ever considered NY a rival in anything--sports included (Dodgers-Yankees hasn't been a thing in way too long).

Old 01-21-2016, 08:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nah, not at all. Charlotte vs Raleigh/Triangle and Richmond vs Norfolk/Hampton Roads would be closer to rivalries.
Agreed. While there are definitely posts asking whether one should choose Richmond or Raleigh as a possible future location, there isn't a natural rivalry between the two cities. However, between Raleigh and Charlotte, it could get downright nasty, especially here on C-D. The two cities have the most active city forums in all of C-D and both cities are growing insanely rapidly. The NC forum is pregnant with shade thrown between the two cities. What's odd to me about the rivalry is that the metros don't really compete in the same marketplace. The economies of the two are fairly different from each other with Charlotte being a banking and business center while the Triangle is a technology, biotechnology and education center. Even on the sports field, the two cities really don't compete because most of the pro sports in NC are in Charlotte, with the NHL being the exception, while most of the big time collegiate sports are in the Triangle. Still the rivalry persists and only grows over time.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:56 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Besides sports, Chicago has *no* rivalry whatsoever with St. Louis or Detroit. Really Chicago's only rivalry is NYC, and frankly, it's somewhat unrequited.
So who is Chicago's rival? I do know it isn't New York; a rivalry is a two way affair. New York doesn't hold a rivalry towards Chicago...

I'm not familiar with Chicago, so I'll assume you're right about St. Louis and Detroit...

Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
If there is a rivalry its one way. I'm not sure If I've ever considered NY a rival in anything--sports included (Dodgers-Yankees hasn't been a thing in way too long).
Exactly. There's a rival within the media, maybe entertainment, but definitely not sports and not between the actual people. None, zilch.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Disagreed. NY/LA is a natural rivalry based off of being the two major cities in the country. The creative classes, economies, worldliness/global appeals of both places are definitely compared and contrasted nonstop. Both cities excel in different areas as well as some of the same areas. I will say what adds to it being a rivalry is that NY and NY'ers generally see themselves as the center of the universe, that all life goes through NY. The only city NY generally acknowledges as being a "big" or city worthy of comparison is LA...

LA generally feels as though it's the overall top city in the nation, which pound for pound just isn't true. Angelenos seem to believe that nowhere else in America has a better quality of life and that LA offers the best of everything for everyone. LA doesn't like being called second to anyone, even though it's miles ahead of whoever is third...

Again, not a fiery rivalry, but a real one that has existed for decades, probably since the relocation of cinema and studios to LA from the East Coast...

Old 01-21-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Exactly. There's a rival within the media, maybe entertainment, but definitely not sports and not between the actual people. None, zilch.
Media and entertainment count, though. Those are two HUGE industries that compete against each other in both cities. Downplaying the rivalry exists doesnt mean that it doesnt.

The title of the thread isn't biggest rivalries between "actual people of the cities". By "actual people", I'm assuming you mean Regular Joes, but that kinda goes without saying. I have no personal rivalry with someone 10,000 miles away, eithet...

Old 01-21-2016, 09:17 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
There's no rivalry between Raleigh and Richmond. I don't think Raleigh folks think of Richmond that often and vice versa. Raleigh probably hates Charlotte more than anything, although Raleigh loves picking on Durham at the same time.

There should be a rivalry between Charlotte and Atlanta if there isn't one already. That "New South" rivalry.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
LA generally feels as though it's the overall top city in the nation, which pound for pound just isn't true. Angelenos seem to believe that nowhere else in America has a better quality of life and that LA offers the best of everything for everyone. LA doesn't like being called second to anyone, even though it's miles ahead of whoever is third...
I'm guessing you don't actually know or talk to many people in and/or from LA, they're actually relatively negative about their city overall I find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City