Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Im not off base at all.
You know what he says are fact based right?Many Northen blacks are much more diverse and has been that way for decades.
Miami annd NY are the main places that have these generational people of Carib and Latin decent.Many of which are leaving in droves to traditional black locations like Atlanta.
I gave you articles from your papers in your area(Sun Sentinnel).
You are really stubborn.Not sure if I admire your dedication to being so or just bewildered by your tenacity.
Either way ive been home sick for a few days and you definately help me pass the time away so THANKS!LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:35 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Are you Black? If you are, are you a native of a Southern state (and yes, Florida is a Southern state) with family up North or out West?

And yes, African and Caribbean immigrants are categorized as Black by the Census.

So yeah....pretty off-base. Call any Black person 40 and under that was born and raised outside of the South "Southern" and see just how off-base you are.
I think your beef if with the other posters here staring how "southern" floridas black community is.

I'm sorry (actually I'm not) but if floridas highly diverse (in south Florida in particular) black community is "southern", then no doubt blacks living in the north are much more so, given their families are recent arrivals to the north via the south and live in neighborhoods where they are rarely exposed to other cultures.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
The majority of Florida's black population is Southern. It's not Northeastern, it's not Midwestern, and definitely not Western. Blacks in Florida have more in common with the rest of the South than they do with any other region. The Caribbean Black people assimilated with the larger Black American population that populated Florida throughout the 20th century and this includes Miami. Anything else is laughable.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,365 times
Quote:
I think your beef if with the other posters here staring how "southern" floridas black community is.

I'm sorry (actually I'm not) but if floridas highly diverse (in south Florida in particular) black community is "southern", then no doubt blacks living in the north are much more so, given their families are recent arrivals to the north via the south and live in neighborhoods where they are rarely exposed to other cultures.
I'm sorry, blacks in New York and LA are Southern? Hilarious.

I'm not sure why you are so offended by Southern culture, but there is no question that South Florida is more influenced by Southern culture than South Texas. Again, the cities surrounding Lake Okeechobee are just as Southern as those cities in Georgia and Alabama.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I'm sorry, blacks in New York and LA are Southern? Hilarious.

I'm not sure why you are so offended by Southern culture, but there is no question that South Florida is more influenced by Southern culture than South Texas. Again, the cities surrounding Lake Okeechobee are just as Southern as those cities in Georgia and Alabama.
Those counties around lake okeechobee today have a massive Hispanic population (not southern) and have barely any people living in them anyway. Those aren't the standard for anything.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:54 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Not really; Florida is in the South and there are born and bred Southerners living there, including Black folks. Those are facts.

Quote:
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and it answers my question because you just can't be Black if this is your train of thought here.

You're telling me that Blacks in the North are more Southern than Blacks in Florida, which is a Southern state??? How in the world does that work???

And "recent arrivals to the north via the south"???? That only works if your definition of "recent" is in the 50's and 60's; Black folks stopped moving to the north en masse several decades ago. And if you think Blacks in the north live in neighborhoods "live in neighborhoods where they are rarely exposed to other cultures," then you are sadly mistaken. Just look at Harlem, which consists of "traditional" Harlem and Spanish Harlem. Ever heard of Little Senegal in Harlem? Are you aware of the rampant gentrification occurring in Harlem and other northern Black enclaves? Are you aware of the large Asian (Korean in particular) business presence in tons of Black neighborhoods? I mean seriously, I could show how mistaken you are when it comes to lots of other neighborhoods with large Black populations. It ain't the 60's and 70's anymore.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 AM

Both south Texas and south Florida are southern geographically. Neither is southern culturally.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:53 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,621 times
Quote:

Am I being punk'd?No becauseAshton is on a diffeent show now but this still has to be a joke right?

So you actually think Florida black community is diverse?
Hardly no Africans meaning from the continent of Africa with over 50 countries and literally over a thousands different languages and dialects.cultures and ethnicities that are pretty much absent from Miami.

Ive brought up several articles about Black History of South Florida.Still no reply to my statement regarding who the African American born blacks from Southern states like Georgia and SC, who came to help build the city and were subsequently relocated to Liberty City from Overtown which originaly was called "Colored Town"Funny how those places still exist for everyone to see but I guess you dont go to that side of town so like every bad part of every city,its "out of sight,out of mind".

All the other posters have that at first agreed with you have not said anythings since all these inforative links were quoted and posted but YOU persist.Yeh. made up my mind.Im actually impressed by your dedication to a lost cause.
Custard aint got nothing on you.lol

Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
I can't speak for South Texas, though I know its very very Mexican. (Not just Mexican-American, but pure immigrant Mexican)

South Florida has a civil rights history more similar to Georgia and Alabama than South Texas does. My 5th grade teacher was an elderly black woman who told me of living in Miami during the Civil Rights era and how segregation was. Then a teacher senior year (who was a northerner with a southern accent..) would talk about visiting Miami from Chicago as a child, and sitting in a diner next to a black man and his family going "No honey, you can't sit there. That's for coloured only!" South Florida has a history of southern segregation that the north did not have. I'm not sure how it was in South Texas, but South Texas has always been Mexican. Way longer than South Florida was Cuban.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:31 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I can't speak for South Texas, though I know its very very Mexican. (Not just Mexican-American, but pure immigrant Mexican)

South Florida has a civil rights history more similar to Georgia and Alabama than South Texas does. My 5th grade teacher was an elderly black woman who told me of living in Miami during the Civil Rights era and how segregation was. Then a teacher senior year (who was a northerner with a southern accent..) would talk about visiting Miami from Chicago as a child, and sitting in a diner next to a black man and his family going "No honey, you can't sit there. That's for coloured only!" South Florida has a history of southern segregation that the north did not have. I'm not sure how it was in South Texas, but South Texas has always been Mexican. Way longer than South Florida was Cuban.
Not to mention the race riots in the 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City