Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is most likely to get surpassed or at least pushed this century?
Mexico City 6 6.25%
New York 36 37.50%
Toronto 54 56.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Who cares about Mexico City and New York! Don't you see we need more Toronto!!! There's never enough! We should rename the whole website 'Toronto-data.com' since no other city is worthy of conversation.

We have Bostonkid, Fusion and Acajack falling into routine. All we need is Mr. Burns crowing about tree density and Tosin's 3rd grade commentary about how Toronto is great because it has the right minorities.
Oh we all know your routine

btw - didn't you get the memo - Mr Burns and Tosin (from Calgary) are no longer members....

Old 03-19-2018, 11:38 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
LA could surpass NYC as the #1 city. There will be a revolution. Capitalistic society will not be as huge as it is now. America will be a lot more utopian. Healthcare for all for cheap. No insurance companies. No huge banks. No corporations controlling everything.

America will be less divided by politics and religion. Pulling money and knowledge to improve ourselves is ideal. We will be healthier due to advances in medicine. Also less materialistic because there is no need to flaunt wealth. We will have machines doing many jobs. Americans will be more educated since there is a lot more to know in future. Kids will be doing advance math and science in elementary school not high school. Most people will have a more equal income since jobs will be different, so there is no poverty or homelessness. There will be cures for diseases cancer and diabetes or things like drug addiction or alcoholism. People will building huge machines to go to moon and mars and beyond. The population will decrease because there is not need to overpopulate the earth. We grow food inside mega buildings so you can just go to like the 3rd floor of your mega building and just grab fruits and veggies grown in a lab.

Because of this, New York being an economic world capital, will cease. Wall street will cease. New York will shrink in population and economic powerhouse. It could retail it's cultural influence.

LA will continue to thrive. Building lots of desal plants to get fresh water. LA will become a super tall buildings center that makes Corusant look like a baby. People will come because of the weather. Along the coastline it will be high rise buildings with ocean views like Miami.

Haha. Do you think this is a possible scenario by the end of the century? In 50 years the US and the world will be so vastly different from today. Science and Technology will accelerate making out lives very different similar to how 50 years ago things were different. Today we walk around with a computer phone that can do a lot of stuff. We talk about self driving cars all time. We talk about how human jobs are being replaced by machines. We hear advances in medicine. Because of this, I cant imagine America being the same. People will have to learn new job skills. PEople will likely have to get a different education like how many today are getting educations in computer related jobs.

In 80 years..... so many possibilities. Thats why I say LA could surpass NYC. But that can be true for any American city.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:47 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Monterrey is really coming up but it will not be passing up Mexico City any time soon, I do see it passing up Guadalajara into the #2 spot.

New York city is not only the #1 city in the US but #1 in the world. No way is LA or Chicago passing it up anytime soon.

That leaves Toronto, perhaps one day soon Vancouver could pass it up.
I disagree regarding Guadalajara. Guadalajara is attracting more and more Americans, Chilangos and others. Moved here 6 months ago. Awesome city, totally thriving.

I've met tons of migrants from Mexico City, several mentioned earthquakes. I heard that during that last big Mexico City quake, large numbers of elites moved to Guadalajara, which is seismically much safer apparently.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:17 AM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Who cares about Mexico City and New York! Don't you see we need more Toronto!!! There's never enough! We should rename the whole website 'Toronto-data.com' since no other city is worthy of conversation.

We have Bostonkid, Fusion and Acajack falling into routine. All we need is Mr. Burns crowing about tree density and Tosin's 3rd grade commentary about how Toronto is great because it has the right minorities.
I don't get this. The city is barely talked about. There are way more NYC, Philly and Houston boosters on here and frankly for what Toronto is, its severely underrated as a city, I feel like if TO was in the US it'd be a lot more praised. Based on the tone of this and that other posters posts, it's clear a lot of jealousy for Toronto/Canada is going on here.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:26 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I don't get this. The city is barely talked about. There are way more NYC, Philly and Houston boosters on here and frankly for what Toronto is, its severely underrated as a city, I feel like if TO was in the US it'd be a lot more praised. Based on the tone of this and that other posters posts, it's clear a lot of jealousy for Toronto/Canada is going on here.
You sure read him perfectly!

Old 03-22-2018, 08:06 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I would replace Houston with Atlanta. Even Dallas and Austin more.

As for Toronto jealousy? Threads became very boisterous with literally saying that Toronto best and surpasses American cities in enough factors to be already second to NYC. A few threads ended up closed earlier when arguing was worst.

The only jealousy I'd note is Toronto did not experience the declines, drastic racial change that lead to radical issues especially in US their cores. Where Toronto boast of its rise the most. There was no big shift to the US sunbelt that slowed Northern cities recoveries and finally recovering in there cores outward. All while Toronto was having a steady uninhibited rise. Some hate if I say even gifted the Première City of Canada that it gained quickly and steadily in Québec's Separatist Movement.

Now in 50+% of its residents educated immigrants. It is decreeing its arrival. Clearly its rise is clear and choosing to become a top metropolis in high-rise living that is seen as a major claim to a superior city in NA.

It was hype and overtaking Chicago city proper .... when it became this "We Arrived". Though many aspects it must be given credit due. The way it all came down upon BS US cities became heated in always the better, superior and time has arrived to have Americans see it as such.

Just can't blame it all on jealousy. Any city overhyped will get kinda a backlash.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I would replace Houston with Atlanta. Even Dallas and Austin more.

As for Toronto jealousy? Threads became very boisterous with literally saying that Toronto best and surpasses American cities in enough factors to be already second to NYC. A few threads ended up closed earlier when arguing was worst.

The only jealousy I'd note is Toronto did not experience the declines, drastic racial change that lead to radical issues especially in US their cores. Where Toronto boast of its rise the most. There was no big shift to the US sunbelt that slowed Northern cities recoveries and finally recovering in there cores outward. All while Toronto was having a steady uninhibited rise. Some hate if I say even gifted the Première City of Canada that it gained quickly and steadily in Québec's Separatist Movement.

Now in 50+% of its residents educated immigrants. It is decreeing its arrival. Clearly its rise is clear and choosing to become a top metropolis in high-rise living that is seen as a major claim to a superior city in NA.

It was hype and overtaking Chicago city proper .... when it became this "We Arrived". Though many aspects it must be given credit due. The way it all came down upon BS US cities became heated in always the better, superior and time has arrived to have Americans see it as such.

Just can't blame it all on jealousy. Any city overhyped will get kinda a backlash.
Why is Toronto overhyped? It is the 4th largest city in N.A and the 5 largest urban area. I think being in the top 4 or 5 deserves some sort of recognition and discussion. You say it is overhyped but have you actually been to Toronto? Be honest Dave..

What some people like me don't appreciate about your posts is the lack of understand regarding a rather complicated timeline of multiple events that occurred that led to the rise of Toronto as Canada's largest city. Your singular focus on one event does not bode well for your greater understanding and study of the topic. Furthermore, when presented with information about the variety of factors that led us from A to Z, you simply dismiss and gloss over them as though they don't exist - even if people outside Toronto and from Quebec say the same thing. I find that peculiar and suspect.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-22-2018 at 04:52 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 04:58 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Just saw the thread showing U.S. MSA growth rates from 2016 to 2017, and only the Dallas-Forth Worth MSA grew by more people in that period than the Toronto CMA among U.S. and Canadian metros.

Dallas: 146,238
Toronto: 122,090

Montreal grew by 48,515 -- respectable growth but it better pick up the pace if it's going to try and overtake Toronto.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Here's a more complete list showing U.S. and Canadian metro area population growth from 2016 to 2017. Since Canadian CMAs are less expansive than American MSAs, some of the relevant Canadian CMAs are showing the option of being combined with their neighbouring CMAs in order to be more directly comparable to the U.S. MSAs.

Toronto (incl. Hamilton, Oshawa): 138,586
Toronto (excl. Hamilton, Oshawa): 122,090

Houston: 94,417
Atlanta: 89,013
Phoenix: 88,772
Washington: 65,908
Seattle: 64,386
Riverside: 57,017
Orlando: 56,498
Austin: 55,269
Tampa: 54,874
Miami: 51,391
Charlotte: 49,786

Montreal: 48,515
San Antonio: 47,763
Las Vegas: 47,355
Denver: 36,379
Columbus: 31,748

Vancouver (incl. Abbotsford-Mission): 31,279
Boston: 30,589
Vancouver (excl. Abbotsford-Mission): 28,984
Jacksonville: 28,477
San Francisco: 28,280

Ottawa: 25,977
Calgary: 25,914

Los Angeles: 25,646
Edmonton: 25,157

Canadian Metros in Blue
US Metros in Green

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-...018000-eng.pdf
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Old 03-23-2018, 09:05 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Here's a more complete list showing U.S. and Canadian metro area population growth from 2016 to 2017. Since Canadian CMAs are less expansive than American MSAs, some of the relevant Canadian CMAs are showing the option of being combined with their neighbouring CMAs in order to be more directly comparable to the U.S. MSAs.

Toronto (incl. Hamilton, Oshawa): 138,586
Toronto (excl. Hamilton, Oshawa): 122,090

Houston: 94,417
Atlanta: 89,013
Phoenix: 88,772
Washington: 65,908
Seattle: 64,386
Riverside: 57,017
Orlando: 56,498
Austin: 55,269
Tampa: 54,874
Miami: 51,391
Charlotte: 49,786

Montreal: 48,515
San Antonio: 47,763
Las Vegas: 47,355
Denver: 36,379
Columbus: 31,748

Vancouver (incl. Abbotsford-Mission): 31,279
Boston: 30,589
Vancouver (excl. Abbotsford-Mission): 28,984
Jacksonville: 28,477
San Francisco: 28,280

Ottawa: 25,977
Calgary: 25,914

Los Angeles: 25,646
Edmonton: 25,157

Canadian Metros in Blue
US Metros in Green

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-...018000-eng.pdf
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk
I'm assuming this is the undercount one because the MTL metro grew in size. Our metro is around 4.2-4.3M now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City