Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Skyline
I just can't decide 16 5.35%
Charlotte has the better one 234 78.26%
Nashville has the better one 49 16.39%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 05:55 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I wouldn't say this either when we are looking at perspectives. Pre- covid Charlotte was more vibrant during the business day. Now 70% of the population works remotely from home that worked in Uptown(banks).
Do you think Charlotte will be vibrant again, now that so many people work remotely? I am not sure on Nashville's remote numbers, but the city had lax covid restrictions even during the height of the pandemic.

Quote:
Also Charlotte has the over street mall where all of the buildings are connected by skyway and have restaurants, shops,etc. Uptown at night especially Wednesday thru Sunday is everybit as active as Nashville and then you throw in the outer neighborhoods.. Its also active on the weekends during the day. You guys need to spend more time in Charlotte.
I need to get back down there. It is nice how more pedestrian friendly Charlotte is. I am so nervous to cross some of our streets here, especially in SoBro.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:10 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Do you think Charlotte will be vibrant again, now that so many people work remotely? I am not sure on Nashville's remote numbers, but the city had lax covid restrictions even during the height of the pandemic.

I need to get back down there. It is nice how more pedestrian friendly Charlotte is. I am so nervous to cross some of our streets here, especially in SoBro.
It’s is the LRT.. that’s the thing that is driving the density in Charlotte. I still think Nashville has a more density look, and probably say feel until Charlotte got that LRT. Charlotte is more lcompact but that train is definitely changing things quickly.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
https://acme.com/same_scale/#36.1557...0.84998,14,S,S

The only thing Charlotte has over Nashville is taller skyscrapers and more high-rises. Nashville has the larger urban core (footprint wise) and is more consistently built out.
I think historically you’re probably right. But if you aren’t aware of what the LRT it’s/has done in Charlotte, it’s crazy. Not only are things along that line in Charlotte getting dense, they are getting tall and really following in the footsteps of Atlanta, Charlotteans hate to admit it.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:21 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It’s is the LRT.. that’s the thing that is driving the density in Charlotte. I still think Nashville has a more density look, and probably say feel until Charlotte got that LRT. Charlotte is more lcompact but that train is definitely changing things quickly.
Yes, to LRT. That would be a gamechanger for Nashville.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:16 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:

The only thing Charlotte has over Nashville is taller skyscrapers and more high-rises. Nashville has the larger urban core (footprint wise) and is more consistently built out.
Wildly false.
Seriously… go spend some time in Charlotte. Ride the Lynx from one end to the other. Then come back.

As far as vibrancy, it was quite vibrant this morning when we went out for brunch. And vibrant all over. I was impressed.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:16 PM

718 posts, read 492,317 times
Quote:

No it doesn't have a larger urban core at all. You really need to stop looking online and come in person..q

Old 05-15-2022, 07:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
I just took a snippet from the FOX 17 webcam:

https://fox17.com/news/local/fox-17-...ty-cam-network

Old 05-15-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

I really hope it does. It was so cool seeing how busy Charlotte was during a business weekday Uptown. Especially during lunch time. Over 120,000 people work in Uptown so imagine that many people walking around pre-covid...alot of energy....

Old 05-15-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I just took a snippet from the FOX 17 webcam:

https://fox17.com/news/local/fox-17-...ty-cam-network
That is one of the really cool things about Nashville. That urban water scene is EVERYTHING!

Old 05-16-2022, 10:56 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Nashville is not even close to passing Charlotte's skyline and Austin has not caught up yet. Where are u getting your info about hotel construction because Charlotte is building those all over the place. Charlotte is still building and announcing skyscrapers everyday. You guys have no clue at all what yall are talking about lol. Not to mention Charlotte has different office markets in the city including SouthEnd and Ballantyne and SouthPark.
I don't think I would say "Nashville is not even close to passing Charlotte's skyline."

Nashville, height-wise, may not pass Charlotte's tallest towers (871 feet, 786 feet) in the next 6-8 years at all.

BUT, Nashville has a very strong, real possibility to pass Charlotte in total number of skyscrapers over 300 feet high, in the next few years, if economy and pace keep up.

Nashville seems to be building a lot of buildings in the 250-500 foot range or so, and they have a ton lined up under construction, approved and proposed.

According to Wikipedia (which could be off a bit, admittedly):

Currently in 2022, Nashville has 32 buildings over 300 feet high
Nashville has 7 under construction over 300 feet
Nashville has 38 buildings approved/proposed over 300 feet

Currently in 2022, Charlotte has 36 buildings over 300 feet high
Charlotte has 5 under construction over 300 feet
Charlotte has 10 buildings approved/proposed over 300 feet

If these are mostly accurate--and if just 1/3 of the approved/proposed are built in both cities (due to financing/economy/fizzled deals, etc) then by roughly 2026:

Nashville could have 52 skyscrapers over 300 feet high
Charlotte could have 44 skyscrapers over 300 feet high

Nashville seems to have a lot more in their pipeline right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City