Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Irvine CA vs Sugar Land TX
Irvine CA 60 63.83%
Sugar Land TX 34 36.17%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:31 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think a home in OC is quite possibly double that in Houston.
A mid-century ranch suburban tract house in SoCal can fetch close to $1 million, depending on the location and other factors. A $1 million house in suburban Texas buys a McMansion with a backyard pool.

I really hate microclimates! This also accentuates the divide between the rich and the poor. The California weather is only accessible to wealthy Brentwooders, while working-class people are baking in the Antelope Valley or the Inland Empire. (That 76 F temperature on the daily national map is only applicable in DT L.A.)

S.L. is only 10 minutes away from Galleria shopping. The local mall is having trouble staying in business because of the close proximity provided by the interstate. Why shop in the local mall when there is nicer stuff in the city-wide mall only 10 minutes away? O.C. is way too far from world-famous Rodeo Drive. With the presence of Beverly Hills/Century City in the metro area, it makes South Coast a downgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 06:46 PM

405 posts, read 196,117 times
You're such a homer. South Coast Plaza is better than any mall in Texas, and is a top 3 or 5 in the entire country, if not the best.It's probably the most upscale mall there is. Then there's Newport Beach Fashion Island etc, Spectrum. Unlike alot of suburban areas, OC is big enough to have amenities you don't need to drive all the way to the city for. That's one of the draws.

You're never gonna convince anyone Sugar Land is near more jobs or shopping and entertainment. It's crazy.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
A mid-century ranch suburban tract house in SoCal can fetch close to $1 million, depending on the location and other factors. A $1 million house in suburban Texas buys a McMansion with a backyard pool.

I really hate microclimates! This also accentuates the divide between the rich and the poor. The California weather is only accessible to wealthy Brentwooders, while working-class people are baking in the Antelope Valley or the Inland Empire. (That 76 F temperature on the daily national map is only applicable in DT L.A.)

S.L. is only 10 minutes away from Galleria shopping. The local mall is having trouble staying in business because of the close proximity provided by the interstate. Why shop in the local mall when there is nicer stuff in the city-wide mall only 10 minutes away? O.C. is way too far from world-famous Rodeo Drive. With the presence of Beverly Hills/Century City in the metro area, it makes South Coast a downgrade.
This is so dumb. Your knowledge of LA or OC is similar to mine of Wyoming. Very little. There's plenty of perfectly fine working class areas in LA/OC and some are near the ocean.
Hell, probably 1/3 of Huntington Beach is working class. Ever heard of San Pedro? West Long Beach? Wilmington? They're very similar to the harbor areas on the east coast. There's some gentrification, but it's so far from downtown, they'l likely stay predominately working class.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-26-2020 at 07:08 PM..

Old 07-26-2020, 07:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
You're never gonna convince anyone Sugar Land is near more jobs or shopping and entertainment. It's crazy. Orange County is more expensive, but it doesn't really lack anything for suburban areas.
First Colony isn't a slouch with the convenience of Houston within 15-30 minutes. It was very coveted in the '90s. The good part is that First Colony was built after lead paint was banned, while you have to deal with lead paint and aluminum wiring in SoCal.

Orange County is really spillover from very populous L.A. There isn't much to do, except for South Coast and Fashion Island which is not well-known outside SoCal. (I only found out from an accidental encounter on Google!) Most of the world-class tourist stuff is 100 km away in the Westside of L.A. (and North).

But this is a bad comparison because the O.C. area is more similar to Clear Lake City with the '60s ranches and the marinas. Clear Lake actually holds water compared to Newport Bay.

The OP is displaying contempt of Houston because of Middle America disdain by coastal elitists. (Even China acknowledges that it lost more with the closure of the Houston consulate. Energy is the central conflict in today's geopolitics. People-in-the-know revere Houston's influence on the global economy.)

But enjoy your aging, white conservative enclave in Blue CA. (I was stunned to see anti-mask protesters by plenty of white people in Huntington Beach, despite O.C. "blueing".) Meanwhile Fort Bend County is becoming the diverse, cosmopolitan purple suburb that represents the future of America.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:15 PM

Downtown LA is 39 miles away from Irvine, no idea where you're getting these numbers from. Downtown Long Beach and environs is 25 Newport and Laguna are 10. Huntingon is probably 15. Hermosa, Manhattan, Redondo are probably 35-40 if you don't want to go to LA. Beverly Hills is further, 58 miles. Still nowhere near 100 KM, but you like to exaggerate.

I'll take O.C's things to do over Houston's suburban areas in a second. It seems pretty blah. You're actually comparing to Newport Beach, lol, one of the most desirable places in North America. Ok. It's not my scene, but I know what Newport Beach is. It's like saying who cares about the Hamptons in New York? You comparison is like the quote from "Ozark", "The Ozarks have more coastline than California", despite it not being the same thing.

Enjoy Fort Bend, I guess? I doubt most people even know what or where it is.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-26-2020 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-26-2020, 07:34 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
First Colony isn't a slouch with the convenience of Houston within 15-30 minutes. It was very coveted in the '90s. The good part is that First Colony was built after lead paint was banned, while you have to deal with lead paint and aluminum wiring in SoCal.

Orange County is really spillover from very populous L.A. There isn't much to do, except for South Coast and Fashion Island which is not well-known outside SoCal. (I only found out from an accidental encounter on Google!) Most of the world-class tourist stuff is 100 km away in the Westside of L.A. (and North).

But this is a bad comparison because the O.C. area is more similar to Clear Lake City with the '60s ranches and the marinas. Clear Lake actually holds water compared to Newport Bay.

The OP is displaying contempt of Houston because of Middle America disdain by coastal elitists. (Even China acknowledges that it lost more with the closure of the Houston consulate. Energy is the central conflict in today's geopolitics. People-in-the-know revere Houston's influence on the global economy.)

But enjoy your aging, white conservative enclave in Blue CA. (I was stunned to see anti-mask protesters by plenty of white people in Huntington Beach, despite O.C. "blueing".) Meanwhile Fort Bend County is becoming the diverse, cosmopolitan purple suburb that represents the future of America.
Hard to argue here. Once you throw in Clear Lake, the Houston metro runs away from SoCal.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:36 PM

Clear Lake is also 35 miles from Sugar Land. Going off google map images, it looks to have more in common with the LA harbor areas than Newport. South Coast Plaza and Newport Beach are not regular places, no matter how hard you try to make them.

Dude, it's fine to like Houston, but don't try to lie or exaggerate on places where other people live. You're gonna be called on it and it just makes you look foolish. I know you have some need to make Houston look better than Socal, but let it go. I would never say LA is a better city than NYC, because it's not. I prefer it, but that's it.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-26-2020 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-26-2020, 07:48 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
Clear Lake is also 35 miles from Sugar Land. Going off google map images, it looks to have more in common with the LA harbor areas than Newport. South Coast Plaza and Newport Beach are not regular places, no matter how hard you try to make them.

Dude, it's fine to like Houston, but don't try to lie or exaggerate on places where other people live. You're gonna be called on it and it just makes you look foolish. I know you have some need to make Houston look better than Socal, but let it go. I would never say LA is a better city than NYC, because it's not. I prefer it, but that's it.
It's not him. It's a Houston citizen thing.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:43 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's not him. It's a Houston citizen thing.
No, it’s him. You should see him when he talks about Dallas if you think this is bad.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:01 PM

Hes like the terminator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City