Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Irvine CA vs Sugar Land TX
Irvine CA 60 63.83%
Sugar Land TX 34 36.17%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 06:22 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
in
You can say whatever you want, doesn't mske anything I said less true.

You can spare me the cheaper talk cause Texas isn't appealing
if it were 3x cheaper than it is now. If that's all you got, well....

Sugarland looks like Ontario anyway. Forget Irvine.
The COL difference is real. I just bought a house in Irvine, it's pricey and imo I could get three of similar quality in the Houston area. But, I chose Irvine for a reason so it's ok.

Parts of Seattle are way pricier than Irvine though. Seattle is where I'm moving from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 06:24 PM

405 posts, read 196,181 times
Its real but it's not everything .
Living somewhere you don't even like cause of cost isnt a
Good thing. I know these people in different parts of the country, and they're all trying to leave the cheaper areas. They're just not happy there. More crime, less jobs, less social opportunities etc etc.

This forum likes to think cheaper is better, but thats not the reality for alot of people.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-13-2020 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-13-2020, 06:41 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
One upside with Sugar Land is that it's much closer to "the city."

Even without traffc, Irvine is just way out there. You have to literally plan a day trip if you want to go into LA for the cultural attractions and urban amenities.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Heres the deal: its hard to imagine not picking Irvine if money is no object. I say that as someone who has a very high opinion of Sugar Land. However, if I could live and work in Irvine for a high salary, of course that would be my choice.

However:
1) If I had to commute from Irvine to LA vs. Sugar Land to Houston, I would pick Sugar Land.
2) I make six figures but I would want 250k before Id consider Irvine over Sugar Land.
3) I have a job that requires me to be on the road a lot. John Wayne is limited on destination. LAX certainly isnt, but to say its AWFUL is an understatement. I prefer Bush Airport for that.

So for the realities of my life, I choose Sugar Land. However, if I make another 100k and didnt have to travel, Id choose Irvine.
Let's not mince words. LAX is the devil.

Worst airport I've ever flown in/out of, bar none.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
One upside with Sugar Land is that it's much closer to "the city."

Even without traffc, Irvine is just way out there. You have to literally plan a day trip if you want to go into LA for the cultural attractions and urban amenities.
Yea, but you're somewhat close to Long Beach, which is more walkable/dense than Houston. I honestly never hear anyone talk about walkable Houston areas, even people who live there. You also have fun coastal areas close to Irvine too. The South Bay is closer than Santa Monica/West Hollywood too if you don't want to drive all the way. Its not like other cities, where's there's nothing else in driving distance.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:32 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
in
You can say whatever you want, doesn't mske anything I said less true.

You can spare me the cheaper talk cause Texas isn't appealing
if it were 3x cheaper than it is now. If that's all you got, well....

Sugarland looks like Ontario anyway. Forget Irvine.
Sugar Land looks like Ontario???? Theres no way youve ever been to Sugar Land if you think that. They dont look anything alike.

Houston has world class dining, amazing cultural institutions, has tons of green space, and is incredibly ethnically diverse. Does it top LA in any of those areas? No, but we dont live in a vacuum. With the exception of outdoor activities and entertainment, LA doesnt blow Houston out of the water in any one category either.

Housing is literally 3x more expensive in Irvine than it is in Sugar Land but it doesnt offer three times the living experience. Not even close. They are both ethnically diverse but bland suburbs. Irvine is just a lot prettier and has access to more outdoor activities. Is that worth 3x the amount for a house? If it was, Id be there.

Youre trying to follow the argument that if a place is more affordable, it must be awful. Lots of places are affordable. LA is affordable compared to the Bay Area. Perhaps that makes it inferior in your eyes.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Sugar Land looks like Ontario???? Theres no way youve ever been to Sugar Land if you think that. They dont look anything alike.
I thought that was weird too.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Houston has world class dining, amazing cultural institutions, has tons of green space, and is incredibly ethnically diverse. Does it top LA in any of those areas? No, but we dont live in a vacuum. With the exception of outdoor activities and entertainment, LA doesnt blow Houston out of the water in any one category either.

Housing is literally 3x more expensive in Irvine than it is in Sugar Land but it doesnt offer three times the living experience. Not even close. They are both ethnically diverse but bland suburbs. Irvine is just a lot prettier and has access to more outdoor activities. Is that worth 3x the amount for a house? If it was, Id be there.

Youre trying to follow the argument that if a place is more affordable, it must be awful. Lots of places are affordable. LA is affordable compared to the Bay Area. Perhaps that makes it inferior in your eyes.
Again, irvine is closer to more interesting areas. It's not just outdoor activities. Its also a much larger and prestigious job center and closer to better shopping. Most people will know this and not ignore it.

Actually LA blows it out ot the water for interesting, vibrant neighborhoods and walkable suburbs.
Its not even close, and to suggest otherwise is not honest.
Texas in general lacks in this area, and its a huge disadvantage for people who enjoy urban living. Some people don't care about this, but you can't write it off either.

You're making the argument if it's cheaper, its a better quality of life and that's not true for everyone. There are many people not happy with that adjustment.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-14-2020 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 08:26 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Again, irvine is closer to more interesting areas. It's not just outdoor activities. Its also a much larger and prestigious job center and closer to bettdt shopping.

Actually it blows it out ot the water for interesting vibrant neighborhoods and walkable suburbs.
Its not even close, and to suggest otherwise is not honest.
Texas in general lacks in this area, and its a huge disadvantage for people who enjoy urban living.

You're making the argument if it's cheaper, its a better quality of life and that's not true for everyone.
Ill give you interesting neighborhoods though Houston isnt a slouch there. But LA does blow Houston (and most cities) out of the water there.

Walkable suburbs? Yeah, I guess some suburbs in LA are more walkable but just like in Texas, the majority of suburbs of LA are overwhelmingly car dependent. Walkable suburbs is awfully random because people who want walkability typically dont live in suburbs that far from the main city.

Other than outdoor activities, lifestyle in LA suburbs and Houston suburbs arent all that different with the exception of the beach cities. Over the years I lived in LA (Olympic and Sepulveda), Torrance, Garden Grove, El Segundo, and Redondo Beach. The beach cities have some walkable parts near the piers and some like Santa Monica have public transit access, but Irvine? Irvine has the same walk score as Pasadena, TX (which is to say its low).

You though Sugar Land was like Ontario and they are nothing alike. Sugar Land's equivalent in LA is Torrance.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:36 AM

Surburbs with Walkable areas.
Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena , Long Beach etc.
Several San Gabriel Valley burbs. South Bay.

I never said Irvine was, I said it was close to places you can
Walk around in. Huntington, Newport, Laguna etc.
Its not random, and I believe that's part of the California lifestyle that you pay for.

Would you have to drive there? Sure, but thats true for Reston Town Center, Naperville, Bethesda MD, etc. Suburbanites do it all the time.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-14-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City