Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Irvine CA vs Sugar Land TX
Irvine CA 60 63.83%
Sugar Land TX 34 36.17%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 10:26 AM

532 posts, read 821,178 times

Advertisements

How flood prone is Sugar Land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 03:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Sugar Land

Old 11-03-2019, 03:15 PM

119 posts, read 139,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
How flood prone is Sugar Land?
The areas closest to the Brazos River and its tributaries, or older developments that weren't built with water drainage and retention particularly in mind, can really flood in a Harvey-like event. However, the vast majority of Sugar Land isn't particularly prone to much of anything other than a few inches of ponding water when a lot of rain falls at once (which can still be enough to close some streets).

Old 11-03-2019, 03:16 PM

119 posts, read 139,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I laughed when I read that as well.

We have a saying here in Oklahoma..........

It goes.........

"You can always tell a Texan...........But you can't tell them much."

So if a Texan says the Sugarland has better scenery and weather than Irvine.............then by gawd Sugarland has better scenery and weather than Irvine.
I've seen some of Jester's posts before. He appears to live in California (though I can't prove that). He just has something against Irvine.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:43 PM

492 posts, read 535,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
As a metropolitan area, Houston is a lot rattier than Orange County. In my opinion, a better comparison would be Alpharetta, GA vs. Irvine, CA.
I agree. This was the first thing that I felt when I saw this thread..

Old 11-03-2019, 04:51 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
I've seen some of Jester's posts before. He appears to live in California (though I can't prove that). He just has something against Irvine.
Yes, I lived in Irvine before. But read my posts. You'll see that I continually defend Irvine against its accusers. Many people assume Irvine is the stereotypical suburb--conservative, homogeneous, devoid of any parks or sidewalks, and a bedroom community.

None of this is true. If it even matters, Hillary beat Trump 61-32 in Irvine. Obama won both times. Irvine is now plurality, if not majority, Asian. I 100% agree that when it comes to safety, parks, schools, employment, Irvine beats almost any other U.S. suburb, period.

BUT when it comes to weather and scenery, the Gulf Coast beats SoCal. Look at what people are saying when it comes to Tampa vs. San Diego weather/scenery. Ok, maybe not Irvine vs. Sugar Land but you get the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
To me, all South CA falls into being largely brown, so not sure what the appeal of rocky cliffs and mountains are. I'll take flat tropical lushness over mostly barren, desert like landscape. Especially around SD, most surrounding mountains/cliffs look like this.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jense...a/IMG_6321.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
While southwest and SoCal desert is beautiful in it's own right with cool topography, I much prefer the lush greenery, color, waters, and sub-tropical/tropical environment of Florida. Believe it or not, I like the weather better in Florida too. The thunderstorms make it more interesting and as uncomfortable and high humidity can be, it's much better for the skin. Humidity also allows Florida to have better beach weather. Plus, Florida winters are the closest thing to the "perfect" San Diego weather FWIW.
Let's see where SoCal has better weather than Houston:

1. No hurricanes/flooding. And, uhm, that's it. (Unfortunately everyone hyper-focuses on this and then concludes the Gulf Coast has crappy weather).

Where the Houston has better weather than SoCal:

1. NO pesky Santa Ana winds! (When I lived in Irvine, near Portola, those Santa Ana winds were very, very annoying). I'll take 100 degree days with 80 degree dew points over the Santa Ana winds.
2. Fewer droughts
3. Less fire danger: In 2007, the Northern fringe of Irvine was undeveloped but was burned by the Santiago Fire. Now, those areas are packed with houses, which would be disastrous if fire strikes again.
4. SUMMER RAIN! (keeps things nice and green). Also, nice interesting thunderstorms. Summer weather in Irvine is very boring...day after day without a drop of rain. Hillsides turn brown and creeks dry up.
5. No chilly June gloom weather
6. WARM NIGHTS during the summer

Old 11-03-2019, 04:57 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Let's see where SoCal has better weather than Houston:

1. No hurricanes/flooding. And, uhm, that's it. (Unfortunately everyone hyper-focuses on this and then concludes the Gulf Coast has crappy weather).

Where the Houston has better weather than SoCal:

1. Fewer droughts
2. Less fire danger: In 2007, the Northern fringe of Irvine was undeveloped but was burned by the Santiago Fire. Now, those areas are packed with houses, which would be disastrous if fire strikes again.
3. SUMMER RAIN! (keeps things nice and green). Also, nice interesting thunderstorms.
4. No chilly June gloom weather at the beach
5. WARM NIGHTS during the summer
6. Breezes penetrate farther inland, because there's no mountains, unlike in SoCal.
Socal weather is better because it's not oppressively hot. Or at least it rarely is. And most people like it cooling off a bit at night. If there weren't air conditioning you could still live in Southern California. You couldn't say the same for the gulf. It's unlivable without A/C.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:17 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Socal weather is better because it's not oppressively hot. Or at least it rarely is. And most people like it cooling off a bit at night. If there weren't air conditioning you could still live in Southern California. You couldn't say the same for the gulf. It's unlivable without A/C.
Only in COASTAL SoCal can you live without AC. You NEED A/C in Riverside, San Bernardino counties. Even in Irvine I turned on the A/C during summer days. Ok, you may not need to turn on the A/C during the cool SoCal summer nights, but California also has higher electricity rates than Texas, so the savings aren't as much as you'd think, and would easily be negated by California's sky-high gas prices.

Actually, it does cool off 15-20 degrees in Houston, in New Orleans, in Tampa, etc. It still cools down, just that you have 75-80 degree lows on the Gulf Coast vs. 60 degree lows in SoCal.

75-80 degrees at sunrise is just perfect. Great for long walks at sunrise, outdoor concerts and fireworks at night. Not too chilly, not too hot. Just warm.

In SoCal, I have to bundle up to watch the 4th of July fireworks or take an evening walk. It just cools off too much, too fast.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:18 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,892,772 times
I'd pick Irvine, but the housing costs make it unrealistic for the average person. Irvine is as close to the perfect suburb, the entire city is on a smart grid, rated best run city the country, safest large city in the country, best schools in the country too, not to mention UC Irvine is apart of the best public University system in the world as well. The weather is great in Irvine as well.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:27 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Give it up...one can't talk sense into Mr. Jester. Last month I was in San Antonio and it was 54 degrees with 30 mph winds. I think if the Jester was there he would take a boat to Mexico because of the "cold".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City