Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Irvine CA vs Sugar Land TX
Irvine CA 60 63.83%
Sugar Land TX 34 36.17%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 01:00 PM

405 posts, read 196,181 times

Advertisements

Chicago had some of that. I think it was my last summer. 95_100 degrees or so at night for a week. It was suffocating.

I don't remember many people outside tbh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 01:09 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This is what I liked about Denver. Could be 95 in the day but once the sun goes down its below 70. It could be 100 degrees at midnight in Texas.
Even within Texas, thats the difference between Houston and Dallas. Theyre both miserable during the day but Dallas has relatively pleasant summer nights because its much drier. In Houston, the summer nights are as miserable as the days.

Chicago, to me, is the most extreme in seasons. Its hot and humid in the summer and frigid in the winter. But it is an amazing city.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:01 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
Besides housing costs, I would take Irvine for everything else.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:15 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
I love it cools down at night and in the morning.

That's a huge positive for alot of people. I can't stand it when its 80 degrees at 9 am and sunny. There's no relief. On top ot the humidity, it makes several months unbearable in those places. When you can't be outside too long because of the weather, it's no different than the cold in the Midwest. It hampers your life.

Don't say "ac" that just means you don't go anywhere or do anything, hence, limits your activity. Its a real problem for the majority of people.

When I was in Chicago last summer, I had to go in and out of hotel lobbies to cool down, something that never happens in California.
If you live in a first floor, East facing apartment, you can even live in Oklahoma City without air conditioning. That's what I'm doing now. The AC has been off all year and so far, temps are hovering at 76-78. I don't even have any fans in the unit!

It's doubtful Houston would be dramatically hotter than OKC. More humid? Yes. But that humidity also stops the actual temp.from rising to high.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:35 PM

Are you active outside in the humidity? Do you run, do you workout? Just like when it's freezing in the midwest, you can live in it, but you don't want to be outside often or long periods of time. It's the same thing for oppressive humidity.

Have you ever heard of heat index, or dew point? That's what matters. 85-90 degrees with high dew points isn't going to be fun.

I've in DC and Chicago for many years. You're not gonna convince me it isn't a issue. Again, it brings a nasty bug problem that can't be ignored either. Who likes mosquitos?

The majority of people hate humidity, and constantly complain about it. People accept it, because most people live in humid areas. But they don't prefer it. Doesn't downtown Houston have tunnels because people don't want to be outside? So does Chicago, but because of the extreme cold.

To be fair, I struggle with Vegas and Phoenix weather in the summer too. LA/SD, not a issue. It gets hot, but not to the point where I feel I need to go inside to cool off.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-15-2020 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Are you active outside in the humidity? Do you run, do you workout? Just like when it's freezing in the midwest, you can live in it, but you don't want to be outside often. It's the same thing for oppressive humidity.

Humidity doesn't keep the temperature rising too high, have you ever heard of heat index, or dew point? That's what matters.

I've in DC and Chicago for many years. You're not gonna convince me it isn't a issue. The majority of people hate it, and constantly complain about it. People accept it, because most people live in humid areas. But they don't prefer it. Come on. Its the same for the cold areas. Most people live in areas that are freezing in the winter.
I took a walk outside when the temp was 93 and dew point was 77 in Yukon (I live in Mustang, so close enough). Wasn't too bad, plenty of cloud cover and wind. Actually more bearable than Sacramento heat waves, where though it's a dry 105 degrees, winds die down and there's no cloud cover.

And I stand by my point that you can comfortably live in Mustang/OKC right now in July without AC in a first floor, East facing apartment.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:53 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Are you active outside in the humidity? Do you run, do you workout? Just like when it's freezing in the midwest, you can live in it, but you don't want to be outside often or long periods of time. It's the same thing for oppressive humidity.

Have you ever heard of heat index, or dew point? That's what matters. 85-90 degrees with high dew points isn't going to be fun.

I've in DC and Chicago for many years. You're not gonna convince me it isn't a issue. Again, it brings a nasty bug problem that can't be ignored either. Who likes mosquitos?

The majority of people hate humidity, and constantly complain about it. People accept it, because most people live in humid areas. But they don't prefer it. Doesn't downtown Houston have tunnels because people don't want to be outside? So does Chicago, but because of the extreme cold.

To be fair, I struggle with Vegas and Phoenix weather in the summer too. LA/SD, not a issue. It gets hot, but not to the point where I feel I need to go inside to cool off.
I can honestly tell you that I workout outside at least 5 days a week. I did a 100 miles challenge last month where I ran 70 miles and speed walked 30 miles outside, in June, in Houston.

Id be lying if I said that was comfortable. It wasnt. But you still find people active on the running and biking trails during the summer months here. People still spend lots of time outside here. Kinda like Minneapolis in winter, people just learn to deal with it.

Im kind of the opposite. Im very intolerant of dry heat because of my sinuses. I need humidity. Of course, I dont spend most of my time outside and I could see that being the reverse if I worked outdoors.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:53 PM

A walk for how long? 1-2 miles? If you did, you have something rare. Me and a buddy used to walk 3 miles everyday in downtown Chicago in the summer, and its possible, its just very uncomfortable and takes alot of you. I wouldn't say we enjoyed it.

The hottest days were dangerous, as you can be dehydrated easily with humidity. I have, twice. It's scary stuff. I hike 3 times a week here, and I don't know if I could with high dew points.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
A walk for how long? 1-2 miles? If you did, you have something rare. Me and a buddy used to walk 3 miles everyday in downtown Chicago in the summer, and its possible, its just very uncomfortable and takes alot of you. I wouldn't say we enjoyed it.

The hottest days were dangerous, as you can be dehydrated easily with humidity. I have, twice. It's scary stuff. I hike 3 times a week here, and I don't know if I could with high dew points.
The average Joe doesn't walk three miles outside a day, to begin with, and therefore would be much less affected by the heat than you would be.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:08 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
These seem like two very similar suburbs. They are both in the sunbelt, have an Asian population of above 40%. They also always rank highly in money magazine for schools and planned communities. I'm wondering which do you think is better overall. With some criteria to consider.
1. Housing
2. Schools
3. COL
4. Location
5. Parks
6. Where would you rather live?
Housing: Mostly suburban tract homes in both areas. Even at the higher end, the homes in both places don't have much character. Tie

Schools: Both California and Texas are laggards when it comes to public education. Spending is relatively low in both locations. Tie

COL: Sugar Land is significantly more affordable than Irvine by nearly every metric aside from the property tax burden. Sugar Land

Location: Texas is toward the center of the country, and Texas, like California, is quite a dynamic state with a lot of opportunities to explore. Tie

Parks: Sugar Land's master planners set aside a healthy amount of public outdoor space. The Irvine Company did the same. However, Irvine's variable topography and proximity to the Pacific Ocean makes the recreational opportunities more diverseā€”not to mention the spectacular weather. Irvine

Where would I rather live?: If money were no object, I'd prefer to live in Irvine for the weather, aesthetics, proximity to Los Angeles, and waterfront. If costs were more of a concern, Sugar Land offers a significantly better value, and that's where I'd be. At the end of the day, neither of these areas are quite my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City