Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Irvine CA vs Sugar Land TX
Irvine CA 60 63.83%
Sugar Land TX 34 36.17%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 04:07 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
The irvine business center (not the spectrum) is easily a top 5 suburban business center in the country. It must have 30 office buildings over 10 stories.
The spectrum has countless office buildings. Then there's Costa Mesa, Santa Ana and Newport Beach high-rise offices nearby. This whole area is constantly building.

Irvine might be bland, but that's the first time I've seen someone knock Irvine for jobs or being small.
South O.C. has a skyline? L.A. isn't known as a skyline magnet. The only skyline in the entire county along The 405 near the O.C. Airport.

The buildings are pretty dated (on par with the rest of L.A.) compared to Houston--that Hotel Irvine stuck out. Westchase along Beltway 8 is more impressive than the Irvine Business Center.

My point is that S.L. has better access to a major job market (Houston), along with its suburban market, than Irvine. Spatially, it would have made more sense for the affluent area to cluster along the Orange Curtain than the South O.C. because of synergy with the established L.A. job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 04:15 PM

405 posts, read 196,427 times
Umm, nobody said skyline but you. I said jobs, and there's few suburban clusters that have more than Irvine in the country.
The fact is there's several 15-20 story buildings there.
I'm sure more than Westchase.

Dated, meh. Thats your opinion. You do several towers have been built in the last 10 years righr? Most ot Houston isn't attractive, so I dont what in the world you're taking about.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-17-2020 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-17-2020, 04:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,725 times
thread made me chuckle because I'm not far from Irvine. I've been to Dallas/Fort Worth but not Sugarland in specific.

If I was 25-35 and single and made north of 125K, I would chose Irvine.

If I was 40+ and married family of 4 and made south of 125K, I would choose Texas.

One cannot underestimate the COL in Irvine - people in leased Lambos tear down Jamboree Road in Irvine (and occasionally wrap themself around a tree). Irvine has an amazing wonderful bike path system that I use infrequently. I took a girl out to din near Irvine, she insisted on paying if we could please go to her chosen place - dinner came to $229 for two people, and the food wasn't even that good. So 'keepin up with the Joneses' is turnt up to 11 in Irvine, and OC in general.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:38 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Umm, nobody said skyline but you. I said jobs, and there's few suburban clusters that have more than Irvine in the country.

Dated, meh. Thats your opinion. You do several towers have been built in the last 10 years righr? Most ot Houston isn't attractive, so I dont what in the world you're taking about.
You did say "30 office buildings over 10 stories." Isn't that the definition of a skyline?

Definitely dated! Most of L.A. was built in the '50s-'70s, while the exurbs are from the '80s-'90s. The Jamboree Center is definitely '70s with the white, cubist Brutalist-on-its-last-legs architecture. L.A. is an old city despite the botox injections and plastic surgeries to maintain a youthful veneer.

Neighboring Woodbridge was built in 1975. Mission Viejo is a master-planned community of one-story ranch homes from the '60s. These would be very old and outdated in Houston (and overpriced considering California prices). Who would drive so far out from Downtown L.A. back then? The Houston suburbs have newer majestic houses with an easier commute by L.A. standards.

Houston is attractive too. Ever been here? The Northside has pine trees and lakes. Galveston is swimmable, unlike the cold Pacific. Houston actually has a livable core with an aesthetic skyline(s), world-renowned museums, theaters, and sports stadiums. L.A. only has the disconnected Westside and lots of poverty outside the trendy areas.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:38 PM

Dated to you.
I guess nyc is extremely dated then. If dated means vibrant areas and not your boring, lifeless Houston areas, I'll take the former. Your post reeks of insecurity too. Lots of poverty?
Houston actually has a higher poverty rate.
Who has more crime and murder?
What exactly is cool or interesting about most of Houston?
It has very few walkable areas and what else? Who in the world would take downtown Houston over Downtown LA?
Pine trees are better than mountains, hills, dramatic coastline?
I could go on and on..

I've been through Houston. Eh.
Attractive or interesting isn't how id describe it.
I' You think Houston has better museums
And stadiums? La is just the Westside? Are you delusional or just a booster with extreme homerism?

You're likely both, and you're dishonest about Irvine.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-17-2020 at 08:15 PM..

Old 07-17-2020, 08:23 PM

65 posts, read 41,878 times
Most of Houston is not attractive and a lot of it is becoming dated. Drive the freeways and one sees the 70s and 80s mish mash of signage and strip shopping along the frontage roads. There is much less of the pine forests due to sprawl. The Galleria area built in the 70s is dated except for the new buildings going up and around Post Oak and 610. The downtown skyline itself built in the 70s and 80s is for the most part dated and has not changed much. Also, not a lot of building activity is currently going on dwntwn (especially tall) since corporates seem to have opted for Westchase or The Woodlands.

Also, while Houston is a great metro, you really can't compare it with the LA Metro which is so much larger and varied.

Also, OC has some very modern architecture that I don't believe I have seen in Houston.
Attached Thumbnails
Irvine CA vs Sugar Land TX-50069811317_a73df67412_b.jpg   Irvine CA vs Sugar Land TX-50069556471_1c6d2d630e_b.jpg  

Old 07-17-2020, 08:27 PM

Yea, its bizarre to see someone from Houston say that.
But this poster said alot of other bizarre things..

Houston has world renowned museums but La doesn't. LA isnt building majestic houses. The rich are building bigger than ever. The Eastside of La is more popular than the Westside for many young many people.

Just...a weird post.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-17-2020 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-17-2020, 08:42 PM

12,828 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatravelinguy View Post
Most of Houston is not attractive and a lot of it is becoming dated. Drive the freeways and one sees the 70s and 80s mish mash of signage and strip shopping along the frontage roads. There is much less of the pine forests due to sprawl. The Galleria area built in the 70s is dated except for the new buildings going up and around Post Oak and 610. The downtown skyline itself built in the 70s and 80s is for the most part dated and has not changed much. Also, not a lot of building activity is currently going on dwntwn (especially tall) since corporates seem to have opted for Westchase or The Woodlands.

Also, while Houston is a great metro, you really can't compare it with the LA Metro which is so much larger and varied.

Also, OC has some very modern architecture that I don't believe I have seen in Houston.
Houstonians think NYC has the potential to be the next Houston. Lots of civic pride.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:02 PM

Civic Pride is fine if it makes sense. What if LA posters said "Man, NYC is so old. And it's only good parts are Manhattan. The rest of the city is poor". It wouldn't be received well, and it would be justified.

That said, I dont think Houston homers are as loud as they used to be, except for this poster. The energy layoffs and crime/city issues have lowered their voice and expectations in my observation.

And after looking on Google maps, anyone who says Westchase is a bigger business district than Irvine is fooling themselves.
The Irvine Business complex alone has 50 high-rises in it, its just so spread out it doesn't form a skyline. But does Westchase have one? Not really. But as I stated, this was about jobs anyway.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-17-2020 at 10:22 PM..

Old 07-18-2020, 07:32 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:

I am from Irvine, and while I am pretty proud of Irvine and it does have a good skyline for a suburb, I'll have to say that Bellevue, Arlington, and Sandy Springs all have bigger skylines than Irvine. Marietta, Reston, etc are at least on par with Irvine. There definitely are quite a few suburbs with bigger skylines than Irvine, but to be fair, that's likely because Irvine is in a seismic zone. Irvine is actually very dense for an outer suburb and would undoubtedly have a much larger skyline if it weren't located in a seismic zone.

Oh, and Plano/Frisco is building high rise condos like crazy and is definitely going to outclass Irvine in terms of skyline. Once again, that's expected because they're not in seismic zones, unlike Irvine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City