Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Irvine CA vs Sugar Land TX
Irvine CA 60 63.83%
Sugar Land TX 34 36.17%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 02:02 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I took a walk outside when the temp was 93 and dew point was 77 in Yukon (I live in Mustang, so close enough). Wasn't too bad, plenty of cloud cover and wind. Actually more bearable than Sacramento heat waves, where though it's a dry 105 degrees, winds die down and there's no cloud cover.

And I stand by my point that you can comfortably live in Mustang/OKC right now in July without AC in a first floor, East facing apartment.
Maybe. But you're still in Oklahoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I can honestly tell you that I workout outside at least 5 days a week. I did a 100 miles challenge last month where I ran 70 miles and speed walked 30 miles outside, in June, in Houston.

Id be lying if I said that was comfortable. It wasnt. But you still find people active on the running and biking trails during the summer months here. People still spend lots of time outside here. Kinda like Minneapolis in winter, people just learn to deal with it.

Im kind of the opposite. Im very intolerant of dry heat because of my sinuses. I need humidity. Of course, I dont spend most of my time outside and I could see that being the reverse if I worked outdoors.
Isn't Houston one of the more obese cities in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
A walk for how long? 1-2 miles? If you did, you have something rare. Me and a buddy used to walk 3 miles everyday in downtown Chicago in the summer, and its possible, its just very uncomfortable and takes alot of you. I wouldn't say we enjoyed it.

The hottest days were dangerous, as you can be dehydrated easily with humidity. I have, twice. It's scary stuff. I hike 3 times a week here, and I don't know if I could with high dew points.
Just fyi, you are debating two ex-Californians who will say things to validate their decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 02:05 PM

405 posts, read 196,181 times
Makes sense.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Maybe. But you're still in Oklahoma.

Just fyi, you are debating two ex-Californians who will say things to validate their decisions.
Makes sense.

To be fair, As above so below has made his reasons clear why he moved. The COL isn't for everyone, but as I've said, many
people accept it. If it were expensive for no reason, I wouldn't stay.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-15-2020 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 03:41 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

The last ranking I saw was that Houston (and DFW) were ranked around 30 out of 100 with 1 being the most obese and 100 being the least. When its broken down further, Houston does decent on physical activity (around 50 of 100) but poorly on diet and drink (7 out of 100). DFW is actually the reverse. They do better on food choices but less good on physical activity. Both DFW and Houston fare about the same as the Riverside/San Bernadino metro area.

As to your backhanded comment, why would I feel the need to justify my decision to you or any other poster? If I lived in a penthouse luxury high rise in SF, LA, NYC, etc. but decided I wanted to move to the Oklahoma Panhandle that would be my choice. If others ask, Id tell them why. On CD, Ill give my opinion. Keyser disagrees with it and thats fine. Im not trying to convince him/her to think like me, but I did push back on the COL implying theres nothing else to value point.

Quote:
California has a ton more illegal immigrants and their kids who skew school performance downwards. Illinois is a whiter and more Asian state, hence higher average performance.

Find me a school district in Chicago land that rivals Cerritos or Santa Clara County schools.
A lot more than Illinois sure. More than Texas, yes but just barely per capita.

There are 1.6 million illegal immigrants in Texas and 2.2 million in California. Thats 5.5% of the population of Texas and 5.6% of the population of California.

The LA metro area has an estimated 925,000 illegal immigrants. Thats 6.9% of the total population of the LA metro area. Greater Houston has an estimated 500,000 illegal immigrants at 7.4% of the total population. Greater Houston has the highest concentration per capita of illegal immigrants of any metro area over two million people. In total numbers, its third nationwide after NYC and LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
No way anyone wants to live without AC in Houston from May to September. I used to be a landlord and a tenant threatened to sue because the AC is old and the temperature won't go lower than 77. It doesn't matter what floor you're on or what direction you're facing.
Yeah. AC is definitely a must here.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:12 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
Quote:
If you live in a first floor, East facing apartment, you can even live in Oklahoma City without air conditioning. That's what I'm doing now. The AC has been off all year and so far, temps are hovering at 76-78. I don't even have any fans in the unit!

It's doubtful Houston would be dramatically hotter than OKC. More humid? Yes. But that humidity also stops the actual temp.from rising to high.
Why don't you put together a poll regarding that and find out how many people agree with you? Oh wait, you already did that...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/okla...re-summer.html

Last edited by Vic Romano; 07-15-2020 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Why don't you put together a poll regarding that and find out how many people agree with you? I bet less than 5% (if anybody)...
Jester has complained about California summers being too cold at night.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

As to your backhanded comment, why would I feel the need to justify my decision to you or any other poster? If I lived in a penthouse luxury high rise in SF, LA, NYC, etc. but decided I wanted to move to the Oklahoma Panhandle that would be my choice. If others ask, Id tell them why. On CD, Ill give my opinion. Keyser disagrees with it and thats fine. Im not trying to convince him/her to think like me, but I did push back on the COL implying theres nothing else to value point.

You're perceiving a slight that isn't there. Many people, like you and Jester, go all in on the places you move to. I think that's great. You're moving forward and going all-in on your hometown. And I wholeheartedly agree, COL is a big deal. 135k a year in OC is not super comfortable. You can live well in Texas on 135k

Old 07-16-2020, 12:43 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
I kinda agree with As Above, So Below. If your upper middle class and can afford it, Irvine offers better weather and higher quality but at a steep price. If you are middle class and below, Sugar Land has more bang for the buck. The target demographic for both these cities (UC Irvine notwithstanding), is families with kids. Could a single guy making 100-125 live without too much stress in Irvine... sure (although I'd question why someone single in their 20's making that kind of salary would choose to live in family oriented suburbia, unless they worked right there or were living with there parents). A family of 4-5 is going to struggle on that same salary in Irvine, but would be ok in Sugar Land.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:34 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Sugar Land is commutable to Houston jobs. (It's the closest suburb to Houston!)

Irvine is too far of a commute to Los Angeles (Westside or Downtown). It has a small business district adjacent to the Spectrum though. The drive on The 405 to Century City is 60 miles (100 km) one-way!. You will pass 3 commercial airports along the way; just making it to the South Bay curve in L.A. traffic is a major PITA. If you want to live & work in L.A., South O.C. is the worst choice on that side of the San Gabriels--better to live somewhere in the Basin.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:43 PM

The irvine business center (not the spectrum) is easily a top 5 suburban business center in the country. It must have 30 office buildings over 10 stories.
The spectrum has countless office buildings. Then there's Costa Mesa, Santa Ana and Newport Beach high-rise offices nearby. This whole area is constantly building.

Irvine might be bland, but that's the first time I've seen someone knock Irvine for jobs or being small.

Last edited by Keyser S; 07-17-2020 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City