Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Irvine CA vs Sugar Land TX
Irvine CA 60 63.83%
Sugar Land TX 34 36.17%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 06:05 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
What on God's Earth are you talking about?!
He's a Californian who hates his home state but is infatuated with Texas. Not sure he's ever been. Sugar Land is great, but not sure I'd say it's weather is better than Irvine's. Not sure how you can say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 06:14 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

In SoCal, I have to bundle up to watch the 4th of July fireworks or take an evening walk. It just cools off too much, too fast.
I think most people would appreciate 60's in early July. Good lord.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:44 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think most people would appreciate 60's in early July. Good lord.
People actually "bundle up" in 60 degree weather? Good lord. At worst that's light jacket/sweatshirt weather. In some case t-shirt depending on humidity and wind.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:00 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
Quote:
75-80 degrees at sunrise is just perfect. Great for long walks at sunrise, outdoor concerts and fireworks at night. Not too chilly, not too hot. Just warm.
To each there own, but I always found the heat and humidity miserable living in Houston. At those morning lows, the humidity is around 80-100%. A walk around the block, or even from your car to your office door, leaves you sweaty and sticky. Some people don't mind that. I hated it. The cool evenings are nice in LA/OC, and it tends to warm quickly once the sun is up.

The winter weather is not too bad in Houston, but it gets colder than SoCal. I do remember one stretch in winter where it was overcast every day, and I didn't see blue sky or the sun for almost 3 weeks there. The cold fronts that sweep down from the great plains can carry pretty brutal winds too, although maybe not quite as long lasting as the Santa Ana's. The rain does keep Houston greener in summer, but there is less of a difference in winter. Our grass in Houston always went a little dormant and browned in the winter, and most trees drop their leaves.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:50 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
BUT when it comes to weather and scenery, the Gulf Coast beats SoCal. Look at what people are saying when it comes to Tampa vs. San Diego weather/scenery. Ok, maybe not Irvine vs. Sugar Land but you get the point.
You mean what you and a few others said? The poll closed with San Diego winning at a 3-1 margin. The comments about scenery and weather were overwhelmingly in San Diego’s favor.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:58 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
You mean what you and a few others said? The poll closed with San Diego winning at a 3-1 margin. The comments about scenery and weather were overwhelmingly in San Diego’s favor.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:52 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I’d pick Irvine.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:04 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I'd pick Sugarland.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:10 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I'd pick Irvine, but the housing costs make it unrealistic for the average person. Irvine is as close to the perfect suburb, the entire city is on a smart grid, rated best run city the country, safest large city in the country, best schools in the country too, not to mention UC Irvine is apart of the best public University system in the world as well. The weather is great in Irvine as well.
When I lived in OC, I didn't care for Irvine at all. It is a company town created by the Irvine Company, and the schools are extremely competitive due to the overwhelming Asian population. It is a perfect suburb if you are a robot, or value sameness, HOAs, and is now approaching non-diversity due to its Asian majority. I would choose a number of Orange County towns over Irvine any day of the week for an escape from the planned cookie-cutter look of its various neighborhoods. Some, like Turtle Rock, are attractive; but for the same money give me some of the older towns with some built in character ( yes, they do exist in OC) over Irvine.

As for Sugarland, I have not the faintest idea of what that town is like; hurricanes, sprawl, fire ants, oppressive weather is all I can think of. Not fair to that town I know, and apologize to its residents, but having been to Houston, it would not be for me.

Therefore, by default, I would reluctantly pick Irvine, but with a for sale sign in front of my house.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Heres the deal: its hard to imagine not picking Irvine if money is no object. I say that as someone who has a very high opinion of Sugar Land. However, if I could live and work in Irvine for a high salary, of course that would be my choice.

However:
1) If I had to commute from Irvine to LA vs. Sugar Land to Houston, I would pick Sugar Land.
2) I make six figures but I would want 250k before Id consider Irvine over Sugar Land.
3) I have a job that requires me to be on the road a lot. John Wayne is limited on destination. LAX certainly isnt, but to say its AWFUL is an understatement. I prefer Bush Airport for that.

So for the realities of my life, I choose Sugar Land. However, if I make another 100k and didnt have to travel, Id choose Irvine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City