Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 07:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
If Virginia was truly innovative, I'd still live there. Yes, you can throw the word "innovation" onto any building you want. I remember in the late 90s the Center for Innovative Technology in Herndon, and its funky roof, was a big deal. But half of the successful ideas I hear about here in California would be dismissed as "crazy" in Virginia. Innovation = intelligence + insanity. NoVA had a massive telecom industry, AOL, etc, which could have been the home of Software-as-a-Service. Instead, that morphed into the massive data centers in Ashburn, mostly leased by West Coast tech companies with few employees inside.

One thing I never see in California that I see in offices in NoVa is the golf shirts tucked into Khakis look. Why must half of Tyson's office workers look like Best Buy salesman? From the 90s?

Also, no one in California has ever told me to cover my ass. If something eff's up, you get another job. In Virginia, I heard "cover your ass" just about everyday at work.

"Innovation" in NoVA means doing something on a gov't contract with Mitre, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, etc. I would love to see the DC area catch back up to metro Boston and metro NY for venture funding, but it really needs to lose the gov't contractor corporate culture, and that will require a lot more than another building with an innovation stamp or the Amazon HQ.
You're bringing up stuff that has nothing to do with my point, talking about khakis.

Now as to what I posted this isn't stating that Virginia is an innovative state per se, at least at this moment. This thread is about the 2020's, and then the outlook beyond that as to where the states may be. Innovation is a key component that the state has been lacking. My point and what others have mentioned is that the state is doing something about that. It's certainly a lot more than just slapping the word "Innovation" on a building, that would be what you get with the CIT site out by Dulles in Northern Virginia. The state is obviously thinking bigger than that, which is seen in their actions taken. The goal is to complete a full tech ecosystem of graduates that churn in and out of state universities and remain there for work.

These new innovation programs and campuses are a much much more than that. This is the seed planting that HAS to be done first, in order for VA's innovation to climb the ladder nationally and globally. To be a state situated next to the nation's capital, it surely will help them tremendously going forward. Like I stated their feet are in action on this and by 2030 I'd expect people to have some different opinion on the innovation within the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 07:53 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Like I stated their feet are in action on this and by 2030 I'd expect people to have some different opinion on the innovation within the state.
Yes, NoVa is probably the most educated place in the country. The problem is its corporate culture. I don't see how the state will change that. Forget my snide comment about fashion, there are too many people there who think 2-3 years per job is "hopping", too few willing to take risks. Too few to admit failure openly and honestly. I've seen a big difference vs. California and there won't be innovation until the culture there changes.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:18 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I'm a lot more than 25, and my wife even lets me go to strip clubs when I'm Atlanta. Besides those fine establishments, it's remarkably boring. The only thing that makes my eyelids close faster than Atlanta is Charlotte.
Yeah, we get it; it's not tech-bro central.

Moving on...

Old 12-26-2019, 10:19 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, we get it; it's not tech-bro central.

Moving on...
That’s just your jealousy, especially when you know Atlanta would drop its
shorts for a 200 person Google office. Atlanta is for company men and women who want to work for Delta/Coke/UPS/GP for 25 years.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:34 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This thread isn't about Charlotte at all so I'm not sure why you brought it up. It has a different aviation history than Atlanta...that's another subject for another time.

At any rate, we're not talking about features of geography that essentially necessitate a city arising in a particular place as being "lucky" (which is the case with Atlanta) as that would mean practically all cities that were somewhat sizable before the mid-20th century were lucky. The term loses meaning when applied so broadly. Within this context, Atlanta isn't really "lucky" especially when you consider all the work that went into developing Atlanta's airport. Mayor William Hartsfield was quite the visionary of his day.

Obviously DC's location is much more political in nature and various locations were floated for a new national capital.
I only mentioned clt because it’s in the same exact traffic flows as Atlanta for aviation and that it’s no coincidence that both are such huge airports relative to their market size. If Atlanta was locates say where Boston or Philadelphia was. It wouldn’t be as big as it is. Period. Don’t act like I want to incorporate Charlotte into the discussion for whatever reason.

Hartsfeld could’ve been as visionary as ever. If you picked up Atlanta and moved it to where Boston was. Or elsewhere. It probably wouldn’t be as big. It’s a very strategic location for an airline hub.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:50 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
shorts for a 200 person Google office. Atlanta is for company men and women who want to work for Delta/Coke/UPS/GP for 25 years.

FWIW Atlanta has a 200 person Google office already!

Old 12-27-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Except I don't live in Atlanta. Nice one though.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
If Atlanta was locates say where Boston or Philadelphia was. It wouldn’t be as big as it is. Period....If you picked up Atlanta and moved it to where Boston was. Or elsewhere. It probably wouldn’t be as big.
This makes no sense to me but okay.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:28 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
I'm not a tech bro, so it's irrelevant to me that Atlanta isn't like Silicon Valley. The city clearly has its own cultural scene going on and it's not just for black people.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:33 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Yes, NoVa is probably the most educated place in the country. The problem is its corporate culture. I don't see how the state will change that. Forget my snide comment about fashion, there are too many people there who think 2-3 years per job is "hopping", too few willing to take risks. Too few to admit failure openly and honestly. I've seen a big difference vs. California and there won't be innovation until the culture there changes.
This thread is about the entire states. NoVa is not all of Virginia, and the state does not have one monolithic culture. You're speaking on what you THINK is now and/or will happen. All I'm doing is posting what the state has done in the past two years to direct a change in that very culture shift you are mentioning that needs to happen. Also that same "corporate culture" that you speak of is what helped land the state the biggest employer headquarters expansion in North America in a generation, so it's taking the good with the not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City