Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 04:38 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Oh, puh leeze. No one stole the election and you’re right, a federal judge backed the removal of 100,000 names from the state’s voting database. That judge was appointed by Obama.

Regardless of if you like Kemp or not, lying on someone isn’t a good look. And if you’re into letting ineligible voters vote in your local, regional, or state elections, then yes, please stay out of my neck of the woods.

As for Northam, I don’t have a problem with him or his black face. But what I do have an issue with is those that want to jump on Georgia’s neck for “presumed” issues, but allow a Virginia Governor to “redeem” himself when he is guilty of a trespass that sits at the core of The Left’s fight.

Had Kemp been guilty of that, there would be no recourse. Kemp hasn’t even done anything and y’all are still lying on him.
Georgia and its right-wing politics are beyond a mess (including how they didn't mind running a large HQ like Delta and its thousands of jobs out of the state due to said right-wing politics) and to pretend otherwise would be not living in reality, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 04:49 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Georgia and its right-wing politics are beyond a mess (including how they didn't mind running a large HQ like Delta and its thousands of jobs out of the state due to said right-wing politics) and to pretend otherwise would be not living in reality, honestly.
Cagle didn’t with the nomination, so I’m not sure why you’re bringing him up. He opened his mouth with foolishness and met his demise. Kemp’s 40 point lead should have been proof for you that Cagle wasn’t seen as fit.

I think the best examples of a “mess” in state politics and policies would be New York and Illinois. Virginia and Georgia are both budding and growing states. Georgia in particular with record level unemployment rates and a healthy growth outlook.

Sure, wages could stand to be a bit higher down here, but COL could stand to be a little lower in Northern Virginia. No place is without shortcomings.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:30 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Cagle didn’t with the nomination, so I’m not sure why you’re bringing him up. He opened his mouth with foolishness and met his demise. Kemp’s 40 point lead should have been proof for you that Cagle wasn’t seen as fit.

I think the best examples of a “mess” in state politics and policies would be New York and Illinois. Virginia and Georgia are both budding and growing states. Georgia in particular with record level unemployment rates and a healthy growth outlook.

Sure, wages could stand to be a bit higher down here, but COL could stand to be a little lower in Northern Virginia. No place is without shortcomings.
I'd say its not too great, considering most of the wealth/prosperity is highly concentrated. Not just concentrated in Atlanta, but also within Atlanta itself.

Atlanta metro has the highest income inequality in the country and Georgia has the 7th highest. (VA is 22nd). That puts GA in good company with the left-wing and right-wing failed governments of NY, LA, CA, etc.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:34 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
You told me that there were strip malls in Midtown. You also said you lived right next to them at 8th and Juniper but failed to produce any evidence of said strip malls.

In fact, outside of the Staples barely inside of Midtown, all of your “examples” were on the outskirts or completely outside of Midtown.

Instead of me taking the time to go down that rabbit hole that you enjoy playing in, I just chose to be an adult and ignore you.

And it’s possible that you and I have different definitions of what constitutes a strip mall, but where Caribou Coffee sits is the weakest example of a “strip mall”.

And for the record, I do agree with the open parking lot and single family home comments. But strip malls? No. You’re just being your usual inflammatory self with that silly comment.
They're were all within a 5-10 minute drive and needed to meet daily needs i.e. grocery stores, gyms, banks etc. I also showed 2 of them within 2 blocks of where I lived. I said I lived right by strip malls and that's exactly what I provided whereas you said absolutely 0 exist. Others with experience with Midtown even agreed with my comment regarding the strip malls but I guess they've never been there either? It's not a big deal, just a matter of fact..

Also regarding the note about you being an adult, let's keep in mind that you said you were "serious" about your inquiry and asked for proof and I merely replied and provided exactly what you asked for.

Quote:
Dang. Shonuff?

So here’s your chance to enlighten, baby. Because I know of no “strip malls” in Midtown.

Can you please point me to them. I’m serious too. I have never seen them and this makes me laugh that in all of my time in Midtown and I’ve overlooked them.

Please don’t let today be the day that you take all day responding. You’re usually 5 mins or less when responding to me.

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-02-2020 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-02-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
They're were all within a 5-10 minute drive and needed to meet daily needs i.e. grocery stores, gyms, banks etc. I also showed 2 of them within 2 blocks of where I lived. I said I lived right by strip malls and that's exactly what I provided others even in Midtowns favor agreed with my comment regarding the strip malls but I guess they've never been there either? It's not a big deal, just a matter of fact.
You are correct in this.

They are within a 5-10 minute drive of where you lived, but that’s hardly “right next to” where you lived, which is exactly what you said: “I've lived there. 8th and Juniper baby right next to skyscrapers, single family homes and strip malls in midtown!”

The Bank of America Plaza sits “right next to” North Avenue Station. Bank of America Plaza is within a 5-10 minute drive to Midtown Station. I wouldn’t say that Bank of America Plaza is “right next to” Midtown Station, because that’s simply not true. But what is true is there are strip malls within a 5-10 minute drive of 8th and Juniper, it’s just that all (except Staples, which is indeed a strip mall) are outside of Midtown.

And again, if your best example of a strip mall is where Caribou Coffee is, then there really is no point in carrying on the conversation. Even Staples is barely in Midtown and definitely not “right next to” 8th and Juniper.

That’s the best I can do.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
You are correct in this.

They are within a 5-10 minute drive of where you lived, but that’s hardly “right next to” where you lived, which is exactly what you said: “I've lived there. 8th and Juniper baby right next to skyscrapers, single family homes and strip malls in midtown!”

The Bank of America Plaza sits “right next to” North Avenue Station. Bank of America Plaza is within a 5-10 minute drive to Midtown Station. I wouldn’t say that Bank of America Plaza is “right next to” Midtown Station, because that’s simply not true. But what is true is there are strip malls within a 5-10 minute drive of 8th and Juniper, it’s just that all (except Staples, which is indeed a strip mall) are outside of Midtown.

And again, if your best example of a strip mall is where Caribou Coffee is, then there really is no point in carrying on the conversation. Even Staples is barely in Midtown and definitely not “right next to” 8th and Juniper.

That’s the best I can do.
I already posted this but..

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2VvS3GB1H83YEdF59

2 blocks west of where I lived. I'll end our convo with this.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:33 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post

That was one fool running his mouth, it was NOT the State. He paid for it as well. Don't fool yourself, Delta isn't going anywhere.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I'd say its not too great, considering most of the wealth/prosperity is highly concentrated. Not just concentrated in Atlanta, but also within Atlanta itself.

Atlanta metro has the highest income inequality in the country and Georgia has the 7th highest. (VA is 22nd). That puts GA in good company with the left-wing and right-wing failed governments of NY, LA, CA, etc.
Yeah, well here’s the thing about income inequality. Not only is that a broad and complex topic, it’s just as much (if not more of) a self induced situation as it is a policy issue (or a situation outside of your control). Same with obesity, which I’m sure Virginia fares better in that metric too.

If you choose to eat fried food, not workout, and work at Wal Mart. That’s on you. If you choose not to go to school and get an education to but bring children into this world, knowing that you don’t have the resources to support them, that’s on you.

I do understand that there are some facing situations that are not the result of their own doing. Those people, I truly sympathize with.

But you going to school to be a social worker, or a liberal arts major, knowing that there are next to no well paying jobs in your future is a choice that you made. I feel not an iota of sorrow for you on the 6 o clock news talking about you having to work 3 jobs to make ends meet.

Teachers, police officers, and other public servants in Georgia are paid well enough, though I believe they could stand to earn more on the bottom end.

There are people in this country that like to make excuses (or blame everyone but themselves) for their problems. Education and personal factors are the two talking points in the inequality conversation people tend to want to place less emphasis on. And with good reason, if you’re an excuse maker.

And for the record, I do believe there does need to be some changes in Georgia when it comes to protecting workers from discrimination (especially age) and unlawful termination along with a few others. These two situations are not unique to Georgia alone though.

Until we get to that accomplished as a country, we will have to continue to rely on the courts to vindicate those wronged.

Last edited by isawooty; 01-02-2020 at 06:56 PM..

Old 01-02-2020, 06:42 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I already posted this but..

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2VvS3GB1H83YEdF59

2 blocks west of where I lived. I'll end our convo with this.

LOL, that's a strip mall? It's 3 businesses with 6 parking spots in the middle of a dense neighborhood. This sort of thing is seen all over the country, from New York to L.A.

That block is on its way out anyway, Chicago-based CM Ventures is planning a 32 story apartment tower there. The businesses have already closed.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/3/18...rise-peachtree

Old 01-02-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
LOL, that's a strip mall? It's 3 businesses with 6 parking spots in the middle of a dense neighborhood. This sort of thing is seen all over the country, from New York to L.A.

That block is on its way out anyway, Chicago-based CM Ventures is planning a 32 story apartment tower there. The businesses have already closed.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/3/18...rise-peachtree
Here comes your partner isawooty... that shopping center has tons more parking on the backside https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7795...7i16384!8i8192. I already showed plenty more very close by that are much larger as well

Jmatl - did I say anything regarding potential future plans for that or any other site I showed earlier? I specifically said I lived in Midtown right by/close by to skyscrapers, single family homes, strip malls, open lots and large parking garages.

Is there anything false in what I said?

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-02-2020 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City