Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 11:01 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Buford highway compared to some of the Chinatown’s around the country though?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Blog/i-Fn...Highway-XL.jpg I know that’s a horrible picture but it made me laugh. It came up under a search for Asian demographics in Atlanta. Buford highway

Plus, Metro Atlanta doesn’t have the strongest Asian population, does it?
Eh, that's another topic completely. I referred to Buford Highway as a counter to ATL thinking PF Changs is the pinnacle. The point is that we are okay out here when it comes to Asian cuisine. Not sure why you're raising the question of who's the strongest......

Quote:
I just think it’s slightly stereotypical That there is auto zones and McDonald’s, etc scattered between these Asian restaurants.

I’ve just never got the vibe ATL area had a strong Asian community. Maybe there are enclaves. Feel like the western portion of the US and even Houston has a lot stronger of communities.
I've mentioned this before but these "Chinatowns" came about due to segregation. Asians in ATL aren't trying to recreate a faux Chinatown to mimic NY or out West. There's Asian businesses there. Buford Highway probably had the greatest concentration of them in the metro. What's next, saying Atlantans think Golden Krust is top notch Caribbean fare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 11:13 AM

276 posts, read 168,179 times
Quote:
But so do the other cities I personally associate with strong Asian communities. DC has several. I’ve never been to Annandale, VA but I always here people talking about that town having a strong Asian community among others

I grew up in Annandale, and it feels very similar to parts of Gwinnett.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:35 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Dang. Shonuff?

So here’s your chance to enlighten, baby. Because I know of no “strip malls” in Midtown.

Can you please point me to them. I’m serious too. I have never seen them and this makes me laugh that in all of my time in Midtown and I’ve overlooked them.

Please don’t let today be the day that you take all day responding. You’re usually 5 mins or less when responding to me.
My bad.. I was busy this morning. I was on 8th and Juniper and I usually went to Caribou on 10th to get coffee in a strip mall. Take a look below.. make a full circle and look at how much parking there is with both detached/unattached stores. See the skyscrapers? Midtown is filled with open air parking lots and garages. I also said I lived by alot of strip malls. For daily needs, I needed to visit alot of them, in and around Midtown.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TowYcnynihR6SCibA

There used to be a butcher shop here I went to...Midtown Butcher Shoppe.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7814...7i13312!8i6656

Used to be an Italian join where the krab trap is.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7792...7i13312!8i6656

Got dog food here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7755...7i13312!8i6656

My bank was here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7700...7i16384!8i8192

More towards Ansley
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7962...7i16384!8i8192

Went to the LA fitness here for a bit. More towards Ansley
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7985...7i16384!8i8192

Ansley but just on the other side of Piedmont Park. Ansley borders Midtown. I don't recommend Ru San's.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7959...7i16384!8i8192

Outside of Peachtree st. it was basically strip malls/detached stores with parking lots. I basically lived in the popular in city places like Midtown in numerous other cities. I could easily do the same exercise for when I lived in (Noe Valley/Russian Hill) SF, (Adams Morgan) DC, (East Village/West Village) NYC, (Lakeview/Lincoln Park) Chicago and you'll notice a huge difference.

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-30-2019 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
I grew up in Annandale, and it feels very similar to parts of Gwinnett.
Parts of Gwinnett looks like Annandale for sure.. just newer and cleaner.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You know Queens,Long Island and Staten Island all have single family homes and thats NYC proper. Chicago too has areas with single family homes and small strip malls,although I would not call them that in a traditional since as we are talking about a few shops surrounded by higher density buildings.
You should compare the density numbers for midtown and queens/LIC. You know this plays a huge part in the lifestyle of an area right? And, if you think Staten Island is comparable to Midtown then that's all you. For Chicago, you gotto be far outside the city core areas to start seeing development like the below.

A huge chunk of midtown looks like this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7795...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7792...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7744...7i16384!8i8192

Old 12-30-2019, 08:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
You should compare the density numbers for midtown and queens/LIC. You know this plays a huge part in the lifestyle of an area right? And, if you think Staten Island is comparable to Midtown then that's all you. For Chicago, you gotto be far outside the city core areas to start seeing development like the below.

A huge chunk of midtown looks like this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7795...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7792...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7744...7i16384!8i8192
Yes.I guess a 275 year or so start would have that effect on a cities growth patternn...
I lived on Staten Island.Hated it but thats another story. My point is YOU like that kind of density. Its not a bad thing and in most cases people who want urbanity prefer it.
Yet Midtown is very desirable and id say its for the reason you dont like it and also for those reason you d or at least chose that area when you lived there.
I have a friend who is of South Asian descent who owns a condo in the Plaza Midtown over the Publix.He is a Doctor so he could have chose anywhere he wanted. He is in hos 30s and lived in Philly,Germany Saudia Arabia. He loves Atlanta and has no desire to move and he is a world traveler.
I stay with him sometimes when I am in town. I have met his friends and neighbors.I frankly have not met one person in the last say 5 years that doesnt like living in the city of Atlanta.Not the suburbs.

Now maybe 10 years ago when I lived there it was definitely more of a mixed bag.I heard more number wanted to go elsewhere.
Its one of the reason I moved even though there were other more pressing reasons.
Atlanta Beltline with its new parks is the main reason.Along with all the development is why its now such a desirable city.I know if you work in corporate around mid 20s to 30 year old you have heard this because those who I have met you know about Atlanta love it

Old 12-30-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Yes.I guess a 275 year or so start would have that effect on a cities growth patternn...
I lived on Staten Island.Hated it but thats another story. My point is YOU like that kind of density. Its not a bad thing and in most cases people who want urbanity prefer it.
Yet Midtown is very desirable and id say its for the reason you dont like it and also for those reason you d or at least chose that area when you lived there.
I have a friend who is of South Asian descent who owns a condo in the Plaza Midtown over the Publix.He is a Doctor so he could have chose anywhere he wanted. He is in hos 30s and lived in Philly,Germany Saudia Arabia. He loves Atlanta and has no desire to move and he is a world traveler.
I stay with him sometimes when I am in town. I have met his friends and neighbors.I frankly have not met one person in the last say 5 years that doesnt like living in the city of Atlanta.Not the suburbs.

Now maybe 10 years ago when I lived there it was definitely more of a mixed bag.I heard more number wanted to go elsewhere.
Its one of the reason I moved even though there were other more pressing reasons.
Atlanta Beltline with its new parks is the main reason.Along with all the development is why its now such a desirable city.I know if you work in corporate around mid 20s to 30 year old you have heard this because those who I have met you know about Atlanta love it
If that's what you prefer then that's fine. All I said was that I lived in Midtown, near skyscrapers, single family homes and strips malls and it triggered a few of you and you asked for proof and I provided it. Was my statement incorrect?

Old 12-30-2019, 09:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
If that's what you prefer then that's fine. All I said was that I lived in Midtown, near skyscrapers, single family homes and strips malls and it triggered a few of you and you asked for proof and I provided it. Was my statement incorrect?
I didnt ask for proof.Your statement was correct.If countering a statement on an forum is a "trigger" then perhaps thats what it was meant to be. A trigger rather than just a statement pf fact. We are all adults here we can all understand what is implied especially when its not necessary to the topic sense their isny anything comparable in VA.
You even said "its basically strip malls and parking lots once you get off Peachree.Those surely esist but you imply thats what the majority of that area is which is ridiculous.
Your statement was meant to paint a picture of Midtown Atlanta that was not exactly true because your intent was not meant to be accurate but deceitful

Old 12-30-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I didnt ask for proof.Your statement was correct.If countering a statement on an forum is a "trigger" then perhaps thats what it was meant to be. A trigger rather than just a statement pf fact. We are all adults here we can all understand what is implied especially when its not necessary to the topic sense their isny anything comparable in VA.
You even said "its basically strip malls and parking lots once you get off Peachree.Those surely esist but you imply thats what the majority of that area is which is ridiculous.
Your statement was meant to paint a picture of Midtown Atlanta that was not exactly true because your intent was not meant to be accurate but deceitful
I meant between you and isawooty, you guys were asking for proof since you were replying to his note that strip malls dont exist in the midtown area and asked for proof. Not you individually.

Midtown outside of the peachtree st area (from 85 to peachtree st which is about 5 blocks, west to east - even then there are alot of open lots and alot of those buildings have huge parking garages at the base) is basically strip malls and stand alone stores with parking lots and single family homes... I can pull maps again if you'd like. You know Midtown goes all the way east to basically where Grady high school and Trader Joe's is right? Piedmont park is surrounded by strip malls on the north and east sides. Hopefully alot of those parking lots will eventually be replaced with retail or higher density housing.

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-30-2019 at 10:05 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 10:09 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I meant between you and isawooty, you guys were asking for proof since you were replying to his note that strip malls dont exist in the midtown area and asked for proof. Not you individually.

Midtown outside of the peachtree st area (from 85 to peachtree st which is about 5 blocks, west to east - even then there are alot of open lots and alot of those buildings have huge parking garages at the base) is basically strip malls and stand alone stores with parking lots and single family homes... I can pull maps again if you'd like. You know Midtown goes all the way east to basically where Grady high school and Trader Joe's is right? Piedmont park is surrounded by strip malls on the north and east sides.
Midtown's development patterns basically reflect its status as an early residential suburb of Atlanta that also became a postwar highrise business district largely due to the arrival of MARTA rail in the late 70's/early 80's--a time when, ironically, suburban growth was largely occurring at the expense of central cities nationwide. When you also take into account how the recession put a lot of development in Atlanta on pause for a good little while, it becomes clear that Midtown hasn't actually been urbanizing for very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City