Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 10:15 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Midtown's development patterns basically reflect its status as an early residential suburb of Atlanta that also became a postwar highrise business district largely due to the arrival of MARTA rail in the late 70's/early 80's--a time when, ironically, suburban growth was largely occurring at the expense of central cities nationwide. When you also take into account how the recession put a lot of development in Atlanta on pause for a good little while, it becomes clear that Midtown hasn't actually been urbanizing for very long.
Yup. I definitely see that from having lived there. Skyscrapers, open lots, parking garages, single family homes and strip malls were and is still very present in midtown. I didn't particularly like it myself but it was a convenient area and I can see the draw for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 03:37 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Virginia offers sophistication, Georgia doesn't.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:17 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Don't be daft.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:04 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Sooooo Virginia.The state where 2 of its top officials admitted they wore black face and another one being investigated for possible sexual harassment/misconduct.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:17 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
According to the 5 yr GDP growth for states,GA outgrew VA by double percentage wise

Old 01-02-2020, 03:21 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Sooooo Virginia.The state where 2 of its top officials admitted they wore black face and another one being investigated for possible sexual harassment/misconduct.
So Georgia the state that stole the last election and is actively purging student and minority voters as we speak...

Northam did something that was pretty run of the mill back in the day (dressing as Michael jackson for a costume party) nearly 40 years ago.
He also expanded Medicare insuring 40k Virginians, has expanded voter access, landed Amazon, is lowering infant mortality rates, has overseen economic expansion and produced a budget that is ambitious and economically sound. He’s about to enact stricter gun control, pass the ERA, decriminalize marijuana and raise the state’s minimum wage (May even end “right to work”).

I’ll take Virginia any day.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:02 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
So Georgia the state that stole the last election and is actively purging student and minority voters as we speak...

Northam did something that was pretty run of the mill back in the day (dressing as Michael jackson for a costume party) nearly 40 years ago.
He also expanded Medicare insuring 40k Virginians, has expanded voter access, landed Amazon, is lowering infant mortality rates, has overseen economic expansion and produced a budget that is ambitious and economically sound. He’s about to enact stricter gun control, pass the ERA, decriminalize marijuana and raise the state’s minimum wage (May even end “right to work”).

I’ll take Virginia any day.
Oh, puh leeze. No one stole the election and you’re right, a federal judge backed the removal of 100,000 names from the state’s voting database. That judge was appointed by Obama.

Regardless of if you like Kemp or not, lying on someone isn’t a good look. And if you’re into letting ineligible voters vote in your local, regional, or state elections, then yes, please stay out of my neck of the woods.

As for Northam, I don’t have a problem with him or his black face. But what I do have an issue with is those that want to jump on Georgia’s neck for “presumed” issues, but allow a Virginia Governor to “redeem” himself when he is guilty of a trespass that sits at the core of The Left’s fight.

Had Kemp been guilty of that, there would be no recourse. Kemp hasn’t even done anything and y’all are still lying on him.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
50 states, they each have strength. Kudos to Virginia for making theirs apparent to you.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:13 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Isawooty... what happened to the below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Dang. Shonuff?

So here’s your chance to enlighten, baby. Because I know of no “strip malls” in Midtown.

Can you please point me to them. I’m serious too. I have never seen them and this makes me laugh that in all of my time in Midtown and I’ve overlooked them.

Please don’t let today be the day that you take all day responding. You’re usually 5 mins or less when responding to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
My bad.. I was busy this morning. I was on 8th and Juniper and I usually went to Caribou on 10th to get coffee in a strip mall. Take a look below.. make a full circle and look at how much parking there is with both detached/unattached stores. See the skyscrapers? Midtown is filled with open air parking lots and garages. I also said I lived by alot of strip malls. For daily needs, I needed to visit alot of them, in and around Midtown.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TowYcnynihR6SCibA

There used to be a butcher shop here I went to...Midtown Butcher Shoppe.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7814...7i13312!8i6656

Used to be an Italian join where the krab trap is.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7792...7i13312!8i6656

Got dog food here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7755...7i13312!8i6656

My bank was here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7700...7i16384!8i8192

More towards Ansley
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7962...7i16384!8i8192

Went to the LA fitness here for a bit. More towards Ansley
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7985...7i16384!8i8192

Ansley but just on the other side of Piedmont Park. Ansley borders Midtown. I don't recommend Ru San's.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7959...7i16384!8i8192

Outside of Peachtree st. it was basically strip malls/detached stores with parking lots.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Isawooty... what happened to the below?
You told me that there were strip malls in Midtown. You also said you lived right next to them at 8th and Juniper but failed to produce any evidence of said strip malls.

In fact, outside of the Staples barely inside of Midtown, all of your “examples” were on the outskirts or completely outside of Midtown.

Instead of me taking the time to go down that rabbit hole that you enjoy playing in, I just chose to be an adult and ignore you.

And it’s possible that you and I have different definitions of what constitutes a strip mall, but where Caribou Coffee sits is the weakest example of a “strip mall”.

And for the record, I do agree with the open parking lot and single family home comments. But strip malls? No. You’re just being your usual inflammatory self with that silly comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City