Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2023, 11:10 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Cleveland based on culture, things to do, and location. Both were major steel manufacturing regions that have since transitioned to eds and meds. They are also very white compared to Baltimore.

Is Atlanta more similar to St. Louis or Miami?
I was going to pick Miami, not because of the demographics but the fact that they are both in the South, growing cities, and similar sized metros with the core cities about the same percentage (less than 10%) of their metro populations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Definitely Cleveland. More dynamic with more culture, music, restaurants, etc. and also more history. Northeast Ohio is also much more Japan-like in a physiographical sense, with hot and humid summers, dense tree cover, water, and hills. And the Cleveland metro (using this in a broad sense, more like the CSA) is much more sprawling and multi-nodal, although obviously not to the extent of Kanto/Chiba/etc.

Only thing I can think of where Billings has an edge here would be racial/cultural homogeneity, although Tokyo is less that way than anywhere else in Japan AFAIK.

Is San Juan, PR more similar to El Paso, TX or Mexico City?
I think CDMX as they are closer in size, and that they aren't in the Continental US. Also similar in architecture and culture being fully Latin cities.

On a side note I hear Fargo, ND is most similar to Tokyo, lol.

Anyhow, joking aside, is Atlanta more similar to Seattle or Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 01:17 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I was going to pick Miami, not because of the demographics but the fact that they are both in the South, growing cities, and similar sized metros with the core cities about the same percentage (less than 10%) of their metro populations.

I think CDMX as they are closer in size, and that they aren't in the Continental US. Also similar in architecture and culture being fully Latin cities.

On a side note I hear Fargo, ND is most similar to Tokyo, lol.

Anyhow, joking aside, is Atlanta more similar to Seattle or Detroit?
I'd say Detroit. Both are known for their large Af Am population. Is St. Petersburg FL more similar to St. Paul MN or Tacoma WA?

Old 08-05-2023, 07:51 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I'd say Detroit. Both are known for their large Af Am population. Is St. Petersburg FL more similar to St. Paul MN or Tacoma WA?
Great parallel here, since all three play second fiddle to the cities next door (or almost next door) to them.

But I'd say that St. Pete is more like St. Paul in that both are close in population to their higher-profile siblings and contribute as much to the metropolitan economies as their siblings do. (I'm not sure what in St. Pete compares to the Minnesota state capital in St. Paul in terms of significance to their respective metros, however. Maybe it's the local newspaper, which has pretty much replaced Tampa's as the region's principal "print" media outlet? Originally the St. Petersburg Times, it's long been considered one of the country's best dailies and is now called the Tampa Bay Times.)

Maybe this might seem like a stretch, but:

Is Denver more like LA or San Francisco?

Old 08-06-2023, 10:31 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Great parallel here, since all three play second fiddle to the cities next door (or almost next door) to them.

But I'd say that St. Pete is more like St. Paul in that both are close in population to their higher-profile siblings and contribute as much to the metropolitan economies as their siblings do. (I'm not sure what in St. Pete compares to the Minnesota state capital in St. Paul in terms of significance to their respective metros, however. Maybe it's the local newspaper, which has pretty much replaced Tampa's as the region's principal "print" media outlet? Originally the St. Petersburg Times, it's long been considered one of the country's best dailies and is now called the Tampa Bay Times.)

Maybe this might seem like a stretch, but:

Is Denver more like LA or San Francisco?
Definitely Los Angeles based on lifestyle and culture. Denver and Los Angeles share big yoga, cycling, health and fitness scenes. They also have large Hispanic populations. Very sprawly metros and not as urban as San Francisco. Also known for um...yeahh..

Is St. Louis more similar to Memphis or Chicago?

Old 08-07-2023, 12:15 AM

829 posts, read 450,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Definitely Los Angeles based on lifestyle and culture. Denver and Los Angeles share big yoga, cycling, health and fitness scenes. They also have large Hispanic populations. Very sprawly metros and not as urban as San Francisco. Also known for um...yeahh..

Is St. Louis more similar to Memphis or Chicago?
I’ll say Memphis. Both are closer in size and have access to the Mississippi. Both also have great history but seem to have a large homicide/violence problem (not that Chicago doesn’t but statistically it’s a good bit worse in these cities). Chicago is just too big and isn’t really comparable to St. Louis.

Is Orlando more like San Antonio or Charlotte?

Old 08-07-2023, 07:34 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I’ll say Memphis. Both are closer in size and have access to the Mississippi. Both also have great history but seem to have a large homicide/violence problem (not that Chicago doesn’t but statistically it’s a good bit worse in these cities). Chicago is just too big and isn’t really comparable to St. Louis.

Is Orlando more like San Antonio or Charlotte?
Tough one. I guess I'll slightly lean Charlotte, since Orlando and Charlotte have more of a skyline than San Antonio. And since these 2 have less of a Hispanic population, vs. San Antonio.

Is Louisville more like Cincinnati, or Indianapolis?

Old 08-07-2023, 07:22 PM

118 posts, read 48,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Tough one. I guess I'll slightly lean Charlotte, since Orlando and Charlotte have more of a skyline than San Antonio. And since these 2 have less of a Hispanic population, vs. San Antonio.

Is Louisville more like Cincinnati, or Indianapolis?
A bit more like Cincinnati, both are Ohio river cities with downtowns right across the river from neighboring states included in their metros. Both have amazing bones, character, and charm.

Is Wichita more like Tulsa or Omaha?

Old 08-08-2023, 02:21 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybestself View Post
A bit more like Cincinnati, both are Ohio river cities with downtowns right across the river from neighboring states included in their metros. Both have amazing bones, character, and charm.

Is Wichita more like Tulsa or Omaha?
I went with Omaha. Their demographics are so similar. Is Billings MT more similar to Rapid City SD or Bismarck ND?

Old 11-23-2023, 08:09 PM

42 posts, read 19,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I went with Omaha. Their demographics are so similar. Is Billings MT more similar to Rapid City SD or Bismarck ND?
I guess Rapid City due to being a more mountainous/hillier city.

Is Dallas more similar to Phoenix or Charlotte?

Old 11-23-2023, 08:56 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Phoenix. Although Dallas is also considered Southern like Charlotte, it is more towards the edge of the region with some Southwestern influences, and is also flatter and has more of a grid pattern similar to Phoenix, plus there's a higher Latino population. Phoenix also has several large suburbs like Dallas, whereas Charlotte's suburbs are smaller. Also, Phoenix and Dallas are both considered true major cities, whereas Charlotte still feels midsized. Charlotte's climate is also a bit more of a 4-season climate compared to the other two, where summer dominates.

Is Flagstaff more similar to Grand Junction or Taos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City