Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH STATE IS BETTER TO LIVE IN?
NORTH CAROLINA 60 35.09%
SOUTH CAROLINA 14 8.19%
GEORGIA 42 24.56%
TEXAS 55 32.16%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 04:49 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
SC has kept up numerically with who? Percentage wize, it stacks up against the states mentioned here, but not based on raw numbers. However, kudos to SC for being balanced in it's growth.
Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 05:15 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
South Carolina doesn't belong with the rest of the group.

The other 3 states (NC, GA and TX) are fairly similar.
Should have put Florida on there.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:25 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Should have put Florida on there.
Florida would have definitely been a better fit.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:26 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,531,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
SC has kept up numerically with who? Percentage wize, it stacks up against the states mentioned here, but not based on raw numbers. However, kudos to SC for being balanced in it's growth.
I agree in that SC is a well balanced state in terms of growth, much like NC. In the upstate of SC you have a great region with Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson. In the middle of the state is the capital, Columbia, and the Greater Charleston region anchors the low country.

Much like NC: Asheville in the mountains, Charlotte, Winston-Salem and Greensboro in the Piedmont, and Wilmington on the coast. Raleigh-Durham also anchors eastern NC.

You can make the same argument for Texas, as the cities there are spread around in a good logistical way. I really don't know how large El Paso is; I think it's the major urban area of west Texas, but the state has a good variety of places to live.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:43 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Yes. I always have had a thing for North Carolina and Northern Georgia.
But I hate when people pay things like nothing in Texas...
Why do people have to show their ignorance by generalizing so much?

Texas had varied landscapes people.
From Mountains, to beaches, lakes, forests, canyons second in size to THE Grand Canyon.

I haven't traversed a quarter of the state and I have seen so much variation so I know that people who are making these ignorant statement are basing their judgement off of drives between two cities without seeing the bulk of the state.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:44 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yes. I always have had a thing for North Carolina and Northern Georgia.
But I hate when people pay things like nothing in Texas...
Why do people have to show their ignorance by generalizing so much?

Texas had varied landscapes people.
From Mountains, to beaches, lakes, forests, canyons second in size to THE Grand Canyon.

I haven't traversed a quarter of the state and I have seen so much variation so I know that people who are making these ignorant statement are basing their judgement off of drives between two cities without seeing the bulk of the state.
The poster never said that Texas didn't belong, only that it lacked a particular combination of setting - lush landscape with elevated terrain. The lush areas in Texas are all flat/lowly elevated, while the areas of high topography are limited only to the state's desert regions.

On the flip side, there is no area of desert landscape back east in the Carolinas and Georgia, so there's that.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:59 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
The poster never said that Texas didn't belong, only that it lacked a particular combination of setting - lush landscape with elevated terrain. The lush areas in Texas are all flat/lowly elevated, while the areas of high topography are limited only to the state's desert regions.

On the flip side, there is no area of desert landscape back east in the Carolinas and Georgia, so there's that.
Central Texas does have lush, varied terrain. Eg: the Barton Creek Greenbelt.

I think it is true that all of the actual mountains in Texas are quite dry, however.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:03 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think it is difficult to generalize about entire states. Each state has tons of cities, towns, suburbs, and rural areas that will all feel different.

But since you asked. I would say North Carolina, followed very closely by Georgia. Those two have lower crime rates and higher educational attainment than Texas and SC. NC in particular is more purple which could be viewed as more open minded than a state that is less central politically.

I live in Raleigh which has a very educated population, is relatively safe for a metro of over a million people, and drivers here seem about average.
Exactly what do you mean by higher education attainment than Texas when you have universities such as UT, Rice, A&M, and evening SMU?

Old 06-12-2020, 12:05 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
This is by far and largely subjective, and no criteria to match either. It really depends on what you're looking for and what you want out of the state or metro.

For me...

#1 Texas - Its by far and large the most functional out of any of them.. Literally impossible to be unemployed here, great wages due to the O&G industry, some metro's have great schools - others not so much, best infrastructure out of any of the four but not much in the way of scenery except a few areas. The problems with Texas is some of the state also seems heavily catered to rightists and industrialization of which blights out areas that could be beautiful, such as literally everything along the gulf coast. They will cannibalize any and every industry that they can get their hands on, which is good because more jobs right? well not exactly, its a thing called corporate welfare and its VERY prevalant in Texas, you WILL be forking over more and more property tax for job growth...and given our property tax is double the national average, it won't be cheap, and since we're on that subject... ...Tollroads... You will pay for ANYWHERE you go, and EVERYWHERE you go, no questions asked.

#2 Georgia - Georgia is mostly Atlanta. Atlanta offers alot, it is beautiful, bustling economy, best connectivity to the most populated regions in the country, great education system, museums and history, probably the most progressive out of the four given how GA is becoming blue much quicker than TX. The problem with Georgia is, wages tend to be on the weaker scale, and outside of Atlanta, the state doesn't offer a great deal more in economic perspectives...that and a lackluster of very needed infrastructure around the Atlanta metro area. Overall outside of the infrastructural issues and a slight gap in jobs, Atlanta is the better metro out of most metro's in Texas but the rest of the state severely lags it.

#3 North Carolina - NC and GA have had similar statewide populations for some time. NC has just as many, if not more geographical features as GA from the Great Smokey Mountains to the coastal areas. Charlotte is also accessible to much of the populated nation. Economy is strong and Charlotte and Raleigh / Durham seem to be becoming more white collar.

#4 South Carolina - Outside of Myrtle Beach, there's just not alot to say about this place. Greenville was nice. Thats about it.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-12-2020 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 12:22 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Exactly what do you mean by higher education attainment than Texas when you have universities such as UT, Rice, A&M, and evening SMU?

Georgia and NC have a higher percentage of their population that achieves pretty much every level of education. High school, college, and advanced.

That isn't to say there are not good schools and educated people in Texas, just that there is higher educational attainment in NC and GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City