Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH STATE IS BETTER TO LIVE IN?
NORTH CAROLINA 60 35.09%
SOUTH CAROLINA 14 8.19%
GEORGIA 42 24.56%
TEXAS 55 32.16%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 10:48 AM

749 posts, read 1,316,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
There are wineries and vineyards all over North GA as well. Lots of small mountain towns which is my point. There is nothing in NC that GA doesnt also have. Of course there are some things in both states like certain attractions but geographically there just not much difference.

NC Coastline is more populated and well known I admit but I always am amazed that people dont realize GA has 100 miles of coastline. Part of it is called the Golden ISle of Georgia whic includes areas South of Savannah. Brunswick,Sea Island,,St. Simons, Jekyll Island, and Cumberland National Seashore is a pristine island only accessible by ferry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmcVJvjC2pk

Jekyll Island is where the wealthiest families in the country like the Carnegies, and others once owned mini mansions as a summer retreat . The Federal Reserve banking system was actually created there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

In Warm Springs you have the Little White House where FDR died but before he did he would swim in the nearby springs to help his polio.His time there really gave him inspiration fro a lot of his programs to ifet people out of poverty. He loved living there.
Warms Springs isnt even in North Georgia but runs along the Fall Line of Georgia.so it has some nice views and outdoor opoortunities as well as the history of FDR time there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcITHG5F4Vc
Also in the area is Providence Canyon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiq9...XJvTn&index=38

In another part of the state you can see one of the most beautiful unique areas in the South called Okefenofee Swamp. It really is a unique place.Its actiually desinated by the U.N. as a international places of importance
https://www.pbs.org/video/georgia-outdoors-okefenokee/

Ive just see more interesting places in GA than NC .
Despite being older than GA,GA has so much more history to show from the NAtive Americans to the African slaves and Revolutionary and Civil War sites.
I just find the combination of all this along with the natural beauty in which I think both are evenly matched make Georgia stand out more.
https://www.pbs.org/video/georgia-outdoors-okefenokee/.

Nearby there is also Pine Mountain where Calloway Gardens is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH3mRjDaYlY
The sand dunes of the outer banks and the highest mountains of the east would categorize this statement as false. GA has a lot of similarities to NC, but NC clearly offers more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 12:27 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
The filming moved out of state because funding was stopped at the state level. It’s actually making a comeback currently. Even with the “bathroom bill”, to call GA more progressive is certainly questionable and to be honest a bit funny. Not to say there is a stark difference, or that Georgia isn’t at all progressive. NC is trending about as middle of the road as they come.
Actually I never said Georgia was more progressive. Frankly neither state is and it's laughable you would insuate that NC was.
Two black women from Georgia are being considered for VP . One of which came within 1-2 percent becoming the first black female governor of any state

Old 06-13-2020, 12:31 PM

17 posts, read 14,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Well the original poster has started a similar thread on the General U.S. Board... not even sure she is even checking back on this one.
I am. I made that thread prior to this one and decided I should post here instead. I am looking for a way to have that one deleted.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The sand dunes of the outer banks and the highest mountains of the east would categorize this statement as false. GA has a lot of similarities to NC, but NC clearly offers more.
Offers more for whom? Based in that statement?Very weak argument.
Especially even within the Atlanta metro of 8000 sq mi itself offers so much .
For example: Stone MountainPark get annaul visitation of 4million people a year.
The Outer Banks gets 2.4 million in
Y'all discount Atlanta metro like it's a dot in the map but beyond the tourist attractions of the city itself,there just a plethora of things to do that NC can't match even in Charlotte.

If you say that mountains being higher in NC and sand dunes are more plentiful then we have to acknowledge how much Atlanta metro weighs on this comparison.Id actually think that GA attractions are not as well known is result or lack of poor marketing of which NC has always done a fantastic job as
That is the reason GA natural attractions are less known but it lacks nothing NC doesn't have

Old 06-13-2020, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 14,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This thread has derailed from the OP's criteria....please reread.
It's cool. I actually meant to add aesthetics and things to do.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Actually I never said Georgia was more progressive. Frankly neither state is and it's laughable you would insuate that NC was.
Two black women from Georgia are being considered for VP . One of which came within 1-2 percent becoming the first black female governor of any state
Sooooo she lost? Cool. NC voted blue for the first black president, i don’t recall GA doing so. Also, not sure how anyone would think that by saying “NC is trending as middle of the road as they come” is somehow insinuating that it’s progressive but okay.

Last edited by carolinablue; 06-13-2020 at 02:27 PM..

Old 06-13-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
For example: Stone MountainPark get annaul visitation of 4million people a year.
Y'all discount Atlanta metro like it's a dot in the map but beyond the tourist attractions of the city itself,there just a plethora of things to do that NC can't match even in Charlotte.

If you say that mountains being higher in NC and sand dunes are more plentiful then we have to acknowledge how much Atlanta metro weighs on this comparison.Id actually think that GA attractions are not as well known is result or lack of poor marketing of which NC has always done a fantastic job as
That is the reason GA natural attractions are less known but it lacks nothing NC doesn't have
I guess for the 27 people that voted for NC so far? Stone Mountain is in the middle of a 6 million person metro, I assume it would have more visitors. Guess which national park is the most visited anywhere? It’s not in Georgia.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:32 PM

597 posts, read 448,946 times
Quote:

Of course Stone Mountain is gonna get 4 plus million visits a year..... its in the heart of a six million person metro area. It would be laughable if it didnt get that many visitors. The Outer Banks is probably a two our drive from a sizeable population (Hampton Roads). You mention all of the wineries in North GA. Well NC is full of wineries in every part of the state.... from the videos I posted of the Yadkin Valley.. to the southern foothills... the mountains... the piedmont, and the coastal plain. No one questions the fact that Ga has what NC has in terms of topography. Like I stated before.... NC has more depth than GA.. in terms of Mountains, The Coast.. and the Piedmont... the whitewater rivers in the mountains... the slow moving rivers in the Coastal Plain. Toss in a few ski resorts as well. NC has a swamp as well.... the Great Dismal Swamp.

NC is a better balanced state. Personally I love Atlanta.... but its the only city in GA that I could see myself living in.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:53 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,616,925 times
Quote:
Sooooo she lost? Cool. NC voted blue for the first black president, i don’t recall GA doing so. Also, not sure how anyone would think that by saying “NC is trending as middle of the road as they come” is somehow insinuating that it’s progressive but okay.
NC doesn't offer more than GA, these two states are nearly identical with GA having a slightly higher per capita. NC is more balanced and GA houses a juggernaut. I really can't find two more states as similar as these two.

You'd be splitting hairs arguing otherwise.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Dont be passive agressive. Use your words.
SO you havent shown how NC is "trending in the middle other than they have voted Democric,but when it comes to legislation an dgoverning its still very similar to GA. All im saying is if voting for Barack Obama is teh only ,measure to show a states progresssive leaning then I think thats a very flawed argument when the too states are so similar.GA has shown on statewide election its more progressive.
Georgia has had more statewide black elected officials than NC.
State Attorney General Thurbert Baker was the first African American to hold that postion in any state,,Chief of State Supreme Court,as well as two other sitting supreme court justices,Secretary of Labor.All elected statewide.

Georgia elected Grace Towns-Hamilton tgo the GA General Assembly in 1966.
We could count the black Senator that was elected in 1886 in Georgia as well if we want go back even further.Even during Reconstruction GA had more than double the amount of elected officials as NC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...North_Carolina

I dont see any NC representation in thso famous photo

wikimedia

NC has had only ONE elected statewide official and that was for State COmptroller
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cted_officials

In African American Political Engagement,GA is ranked 9th. The only Southern state in the top 10 after SC.
https://wallethub.com/edu/where-are-...engaged/19026/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

NC has slightly more elected women but GA by far has had more black elected officials across the board
https://www2.census.gov/library/publ...es/11s0413.pdf

Both GA and NC have had Religious Liberty Laws proposed but never passed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...storation_Acts

I think people dont realize GA was all Democratic until 2000

Last edited by JMT; 06-14-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City