Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH STATE IS BETTER TO LIVE IN?
NORTH CAROLINA 60 35.09%
SOUTH CAROLINA 14 8.19%
GEORGIA 42 24.56%
TEXAS 55 32.16%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 08:14 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,264,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The lush areas of central Texas are not flat, they are very hilly. They don't reach elevations seen in the Appalachians (of course because they're not within a mountain range) however they are pretty scenic.
Right, that's where the "lowly-elevated" comes in. Same thing seen in some reaches of Deep East Texas, but to an even lesser extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 09:00 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Texas. It's basicly it's own country. Texas is the way the United States is suppose to be. There's no other state quite like it. In a way it's like New York City. As a city, NYC is in a class all by itself. There's NYC and then there's all the other US cities. As a state, Texas is in a class all by itself. There's Texas, and then there's all the other US states. No other state feels even remotely like it. It has consistently had the strongest economy of all the states in the last 50 years. Texas is the role model state that other states try to emulate. Texas roads are by far the best in the country. It's very diverse with many cultures, and lots of good restaraunts and good food. Texas has hills, mountains, derserts, plains, forests, the Gulf of Mexico. Nearly all the big cities are clean and well kept and prosperous. It's really not fair for Georgia and both Carolinas to be forced into a competition with Texas. It's like putting the heavyweight up against the lightweight as if it's a fair fight.
No offense but when I think of Texas I think either strip malls and subdivisions of Houston/Dallas, or gun lovers in the country. I like Texas but I don't think it is better than NC. Urban TX is blah

Old 06-12-2020, 09:11 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Right, that's where the "lowly-elevated" comes in. Same thing seen in some reaches of Deep East Texas, but to an even lesser extent.
well...outside of hill country and the desert mountains TX is mostly flat. I will say that. It has grown on me to the decree where I don't mind it and to an extend enjoy it. You get to see more sky.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:17 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Interesting thread and I loved the reply by Kyle19125. I love all of these states for various reasons.
I love the NC mountains
I love the SC beaches
I love the ATL
I love Dallas and Houston and Austin, and the Texas Hill Country

The states are so similar in that they are southern states with a lot of tra nsplants. Toss up for me...
GA has everything NC has but has the added advantage of Atlanta and Savannah. There are also more unique places of interest in Georgia.
You have places like Dahlonega,Providence Canyon,Tybee Island,
Two of Georgia's resorts have been ranked THE top most exclusive resorts in the world like Sea Island's The Lodge and The Cloister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 06-12-2020, 10:23 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No offense but when I think of Texas I think either strip malls and subdivisions of Houston/Dallas, or gun lovers in the country. I like Texas but I don't think it is better than NC. Urban TX is blah
When I think of Massachusetts I think of racist white people and Jump around.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Yet SC has been in the top 10 numerical growth and percentage growth with the rest of the listed states. Somebody thinks so.

1. NC for me 2. SC, then 3. GA (Atlanta is not enough for me to choose the entire state, the cities/metropolitan areas outside of ATL just don’t match Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston nor the coast). I’ve lived in all 3 states by the way....Haven’t been to TX yet.
LOL. Stop looking on a map and think in terms if you were on the ground. You say you lived in all three but that doesnt mean you know the entire states. Especially big states like TX and even GA.
So you think having Greenville ,Columbia and Charleston makes SC better even though there is Atlanta which is a metro that covers over 8,300 square miles to 3 metros that cant all together equal that?
I mean you got cities in the Atlanta metro like Roswell,Alpharetta,Athens,Marietta,Decatur,Kennesa w, Lawrenceville,Sandy Springs,etc
Charleston is bigger than Savannah as its the biggest city in SC. Savannah is way more interesting and fun imo.
Then the cities of Columbus,Augusta,and Macon are not as further along as SC cities but they are rapidly changing with big improvements.
Columbus would be Greenville's equivalent. They both utilize their rivers well with development alongside them. After Savannah there is Columbus or really almost equal that is furthest along in redevelopment.
Columbus has 3 very big company headquarters: AFLAC,TSYS, and WC Bradley(maker of Charbroil and Tiki Torch).It has a big FIN tech sector.
Ive really been impressed with Columbus but also Augusta.Augusta equivalent would be Columbia. Both have big universities. Augusta has one of the biggest sports events in the world with The Masters,
The thing about Augusta is that it has become a major Cyber Security center and has been ranked in the top 10 in that sector in THE WORLD
https://www.csoonline.com/article/33...19.html#slide8

Augusta in the next 10 years will be far different than it is today . I have no doubt Augusta because of this huge and growing field will not only catch up but surpass any of SC cities(excluding Greenville).I havent even mentioned its huge medical sector due to the Augusta University. High paying high tech jobs and big company headquarters are what both Augusta and Columbus have over any other cities in SC and thats not even including the Atlanta metro

Old 06-12-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
When I think of Massachusetts I think of racist white people and Jump around.
lol
Was that an homage to Cypress Hill?

Old 06-12-2020, 10:58 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
LOL. Stop looking on a map and think in terms if you were on the ground. You say you lived in all three but that doesnt mean you know the entire states. Especially big states like TX and even GA.
So you think having Greenville ,Columbia and Charleston makes SC better even though there is Atlanta which is a metro that covers over 8,300 square miles to 3 metros that cant all together equal that?
I mean you got cities in the Atlanta metro like Roswell,Alpharetta,Athens,Marietta,Decatur,Kennesa w, Lawrenceville,Sandy Springs,etc
Charleston is bigger than Savannah as its the biggest city in SC. Savannah is way more interesting and fun imo.
Then the cities of Columbus,Augusta,and Macon are not as further along as SC cities but they are rapidly changing with big improvements.
Columbus would be Greenville's equivalent. They both utilize their rivers well with development alongside them. After Savannah there is Columbus or really almost equal that is furthest along in redevelopment.
Columbus has 3 very big company headquarters: AFLAC,TSYS, and WC Bradley(maker of Charbroil and Tiki Torch).It has a big FIN tech sector.
Ive really been impressed with Columbus but also Augusta.Augusta equivalent would be Columbia. Both have big universities. Augusta has one of the biggest sports events in the world with The Masters,
The thing about Augusta is that it has become a major Cyber Security center and has been ranked in the top 10 in that sector in THE WORLD
https://www.csoonline.com/article/33...19.html#slide8

Augusta in the next 10 years will be far different than it is today . I have no doubt Augusta because of this huge and growing field will not only catch up but surpass any of SC cities(excluding Greenville).I havent even mentioned its huge medical sector due to the Augusta University. High paying high tech jobs and big company headquarters are what both Augusta and Columbus have over any other cities in SC and thats not even including the Atlanta metro
Fun thing about Augusta is it's also apart of South Carolina

But nah I'm messing with you. I went through Augusta a few weeks ago on my way to Myrtle Beach and it's pretty up and coming there. It has changed alot over the last decade.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:04 PM

597 posts, read 448,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
GA has everything NC has but has the added advantage of Atlanta and Savannah. There are also more unique places of interest in Georgia.
You have places like Dahlonega,Providence Canyon,Tybee Island,
Two of Georgia's resorts have been ranked THE top most exclusive resorts in the world like Sea Island's The Lodge and The Cloister.

go

While GA has mountains and coastline........ they don't stack up to the depth that NC has. The Great Smoky Mountain National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Gorges State Park, Dupont State Recreational Forest, the Linville Gorge. The Outer Banks, The Inner Banks, The Crystal Coast, the Southern Coast.

Mountain towns and cities like Asheville, Hendersonville, Highlands, Black Mountain, Boone, Blowing Rock, Bryson City.

In the Piedmont you have under the radar cities like Winston-Salem and Durham....some of the best golf in the country in the Sandhills...

Plenty of great towns along the Inner Banks. ... Elizabeth City, Edenton, Little Washington, New Bern, Bath, Belhaven, Morehead City, Beaufort.... as well as Wilmington, Southport, and Manteo. The Outer Banks are great..

Yadkin Valley Wine Country in the foothills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=028AhXm8EmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khOTuJOigk

Old 06-12-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
SC has kept up numerically with who? Percentage wize, it stacks up against the states mentioned here, but not based on raw numbers. However, kudos to SC for being balanced in it's growth.
GA has Atlanta then three to four cities that are all pretty well similar than those cities in SC.Why do people say the growth isnt well balanced?
If Atlanta wasnt in GA then no one would be saying this. Doesn't mean the growth isnt well balanced just because Atlanta is so big
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City