Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH STATE IS BETTER TO LIVE IN?
NORTH CAROLINA 60 35.09%
SOUTH CAROLINA 14 8.19%
GEORGIA 42 24.56%
TEXAS 55 32.16%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 08:23 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,790 times

Advertisements

Texas has everything anyone needs, with 2 MLB and NFL teams and 3 NBA teams! It's also a "liberty" state. It's head-and-shoulders above the other states in this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 07:55 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
IMO, drivers are likely the same in all the listed states. I'd go with NC. Not as hot.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:47 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Texas has everything anyone needs, with 2 MLB and NFL teams and 3 NBA teams! It's also a "liberty" state. It's head-and-shoulders above the other states in this poll.
By "liberty" I assume you mean the freedom to show others your firearm collection because when it comes to personal liberty, Texas at or near the bottom.

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/personal/texas

From the summary
Quote:
The problem is that Texas has always been a less free state for personal freedom and now is the second-worst state on that margin despite some absolute improvement over time.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:18 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Meh. Not really. NC would better suit me as imho, NC has everything someone would want and its just a short flight from DC/NYC/Boston.

Some things that make TX fall down on the list for me.
-Too hot
-The politics in that state are crazy. They are making being an American-Christian their personality which is affecting the social wellbeing of the state.
-Highways are too big.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
North Carolina doesn’t compete economically, but is beautiful and politics that are much more stable.

Texas competes well economically, but is politically asinine and a lot of it is hot and/or ugly.

Georgia has the best blend of these things. Georgia is not free of crazy politics but it’s no where near Texas. Georgia has mountains and beaches even if they don’t compare to NC. Georgia has Atlanta which is a strong city, even though it’s not Houston or Dallas, is much bigger than anything in NC. Atlanta gets you dang near anywhere from its airport if you ever want to leave.

When NC gets an Atlanta they can call me but otherwise I’m pretty content with what Georgia has.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:05 PM

327 posts, read 222,192 times
I think people from Texas are sickening (after a while). Everything is Texas this, Texas that. The bigger, the better. Mexican food, barbecue. Yada yada. People in Texas subscribe to the prevailing mentality and lifestyle of the state, similar to people in California, which fosters a lot of sameness across large groups of people. The only problem is — Texas is a lot uglier than California.

Georgia and the Carolinas have significantly more natural beauty than Texas. Mountains, hills, valleys, lakes, woods, marshes, etc. can be all throughout those states. Texas has one natural lake and a bunch of flat, barren desert or prairie areas. Small towns in Texas are less historic and not particularly quaint. Beaufort, Thomasville, Dahlonega, Edenton, Duck — these types of places just don’t exist in Texas.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:14 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,296,659 times
Depends on the criteria one uses:

For natural beauty, NC is the clear winner.
For cost of living, TX is the winner.
For economic growth and business climate, TX is the winner.
For politics, NC is the winner since politics there is the most balanced, with GA a close second.
For education, it’s a tossup between NC and TX

Overall, it’s between NC and TX. I would opt for NC since, for me, natural beauty trumps the other criteria.

1.NC
2.TX
3.GA
4.SC

Old 03-21-2023, 08:32 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naniboujou View Post
If by open-minded you mean more liberal, progressive then Georgia and North Carolina would be your choices.

Although North Carolina didn't go blue in the last election, it has in the recent past and it seems the state is trending towards becoming solidly blue. Georgia has already become a blue state for the most part, mostly because of Atlanta and a few other larger cities.
I want to see Dems win a governor’s seat before I’m comfortable calling Georgia blue but it’s definitely purple now and more progressive than Florida or Texas.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I want to see Dems win a governor’s seat before I’m comfortable calling Georgia blue but it’s definitely purple now and more progressive than Florida or Texas.
I would love to know what does a state's political votes have to do with being a better place to live?

I would love to know why comments like this are brought up when they are totally irrelevant. imo

Old 03-22-2023, 07:23 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow80 View Post
I would love to know what does a state's political votes have to do with being a better place to live?

I would love to know why comments like this are brought up when they are totally irrelevant. imo
Birds of a feather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City