Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH STATE IS BETTER TO LIVE IN?
NORTH CAROLINA 60 35.09%
SOUTH CAROLINA 14 8.19%
GEORGIA 42 24.56%
TEXAS 55 32.16%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 07:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
https://www.engadget.com/2018-11-04-...allas-nyc.html

Also, DFW was already a big hub for Amazon:
1. 12 fulfillment centers, i live near three of them myself;
2. AWS office here;
3. Opening an Air Cargo Hub at Alliance Airport north of Fort Worth.
4. DFW is a huge rail hub with direct link from LongBeach/Los Angeles seaports.
5. Central location in the U.S. and within 4 1/2 hours from the Port of Houston, which is one of the five busiest in north America.
6. Amazon has a windfarm west of DFW for its operations here.
7 Amazon owns Whole Foods, based in Texas.
Dallas and Atlanta are both Tech hubs for Amazon.There are 5 total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is nothing more than your opinion, and yet again it's presented as factual. You need to back these claims up.
He never does!Ive given facts in response to all his statements and he goes on to another half truth or opinions as factual ,never addressing he was wrong

Old 06-14-2020, 07:29 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
He never does!Ive given facts in response to all his statements and he goes on to another half truth or opinions as factual ,never addressing he was wrong
Yep, all credibility went out the window a long time ago.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:36 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, UNC isn't considered a Public Ivy in some vacuum.
?

Old 06-14-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I can't agree that Atlanta is more progressive that Houston, Austin and Dallas. The city is progressive but got out to Gwinnett and Cobb and things become more conservative quickly. Atlanta itself is literally now half the size of Austin, a third as big as Dallas city and a a quarter the size of Houston. So in terms of impact on people, Atlanta's influence is less on its metro area. Houston, Dallas and Plano (a 250,000 resident suburb) all have minority mayors. What city outside of Atlanta has a minority? Maybe Decatur? Austin has always been known for its liberal bent.
Gwinnet and Cobb still voted for Obama and Hillary and Houston has far mpre conservative suburbs than ATL
Mayor of Decatur is a white woman
East Point
College Park
Morrow
Norcross
South Fulton
Stonecrest
Logaville
There are at least a dozen more bit im tired. This is enough to show you are wrong AGAIN.

Here Atlanta is 22 in most Liberal cities. Dallas#35 and Houston#40 much lower
https://www.oregonlive.com/today/201...essive_th.html

Old 06-14-2020, 07:51 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
GA is definitely more progressive than TX, that can't be argued.
GA and NC I guess are interchangeable depending on how you look at it.

Quote:
The percentage of graduates with degrees is much higher in Atlanta (39%) than Dallas which is less at 34%
As far as I know the only real education powerhouse in TX in terms of metro areas is Austin. RICE is good as well but I'm unsure that its enough to handle the weight of Houston metro as a whole on its own.

Quote:
Just recently and current
In MAcon I-16

​I-16/I-75 Interchange Project

This involves the first Truck Only lanes in GA and just completer new elevated lanes. The area around Suntrust Park has been ongoing for years
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2020/1/22...ss-lanes-video

The "Fall Line Freeway":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_Line_Freeway

Hartsfield-Jackson is undergoing a 6b dollar expansion and renovation. Its the worlds busiest so I think its just fine

TX gets a C-
https://www.infrastructurereportcard...te-item/texas/
GA gets a C+
https://www.infrastructurereportcard...-item/georgia/
In general, as a state - GA isn't terrible about roadway improvements. Most of what is lacking is in the metro area of Atlanta, and its more so by design (inconsistent street layout) than capacity. That and a need for an outer perimeter.

DFW and Houston however unquestionably have many more highways and express lanes than Atlanta metro however. That also can't be refuted. DFW's traffic isn't terrible. Houston's however is.

Atlanta did have a comparable highway plan to whats seen in DFW but most of it was stomped out of existence before conception for better or worse due to political opposition. Atlanta probably never will have a highway layout as seen in DFW or Houston due to the vast topography differences... but they can make up for that by transit expansion. The problem that Atlanta metro faces in the transportation infrastructure department that seems far less prone in DFW and Houston is coordination between the city proper and its surrounding suburbs and lack of state intervention. All of which is spawned for several reasons (race, political, environmental, NIMBY, ect). They literally force-fed the Top-End HOT lanes on the local inhabitants for I-285 (which I'm actually in disagreement with, for the effectiveness level vs costs and design...that money would have been better spent elsewhere, such as transit or a true outer bypass.)

Overall, I am actually 'OK' with Atlanta 'NOT' being like Texas in terms of road infrastructure given the vastly different geographical regions, however; I do wish they could expand rail into the suburbs at the very least. They really need a way to completely bypass traffic altogether, rather than catering to it.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-14-2020 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-14-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
GA is definitely more progressive than TX, that can't be argued.
GA and NC I guess are interchangeable depending on how you look at it.

As far as I know the only real education powerhouse in TX in terms of metro areas is Austin. RICE is good as well but I'm unsure that its enough to handle the weight of Houston metro as a whole on its own.

In general, as a state - GA isn't terrible about roadway improvements. Most of what is lacking is in the metro area of Atlanta, and its more so by design (inconsistent street layout) than capacity. That and a need for an outer perimeter.

DFW and Houston however unquestionably have many more highways and express lanes than Atlanta metro however. That also can't be refuted. DFW's traffic isn't terrible. Houston's however is.

Atlanta did have a comparable highway plan to whats seen in DFW but most of it was stomped out of existence before conception for better or worse due to political opposition. Atlanta probably never will have a highway layout as seen in DFW or Houston due to the vast topography differences... but they can make up for that by transit expansion. The problem that Atlanta metro faces in the transportation infrastructure department that seems far less prone in DFW and Houston is coordination between the city proper and its surrounding suburbs and lack of state intervention. All of which is spawned for several reasons (race, political, environmental, NIMBY, ect). They literally force-fed the Top-End HOT lanes on the local inhabitants for I-285 (which I'm actually in disagreement with, for the effectiveness level vs costs and design...that money would have been better spent elsewhere, such as transit or a true outer bypass.)

Overall, I am actually 'OK' with Atlanta 'NOT' being like Texas in terms of road infrastructure given the vastly different geographical regions, however; I do wish they could expand rail into the suburbs at the very least. They really need a way to completely bypass traffic altogether, rather than catering to it.
Transit wont help. Look at NEw York. Its traffic is the 2nd worst afte LA/ Atlanta topography and iys location of it being the main path from two direction up North being the Chicago/Midwest and Northeast going South to Florida and from West to TX to East to Augusta.As the region of the SOuth grows,the roads are only gonna get worse. Im not sure there is anything much you can do. Large parts of Dallas and Houston have easier ways due to flood plains and low flat land.
I think they are doing all they can currently as there are a lot of improvements that are currently being done and being planned

Old 06-14-2020, 11:04 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
?
UNC is one of a very small number of legacy State schools that are so excellent they are referred to as Public Ivy's.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:33 PM

597 posts, read 448,946 times
Quote:
Why is that? NC, NC State, Duke and Wake Forest. Of those, only Duke and NC are really top 50.
Texas has UT, Rice, Texas A&M, SMU are as good as Duke and NC. Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, and Baylor are as good as NC State and Wake Forest.

say what?

Old 06-15-2020, 05:27 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I disagree that UT is well behind UNC. Both are known as public ivies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City