Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:01 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,074,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Dude, listen up.. go back and finish your homework. School is more important.
Dementor's vast knowledge and accurate descriptions about Chicago clearly show he's an adult. And that he's spent quit a bit of time in Chicago. And that I feel sorry for him............

Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Dude, listen up.. go back and finish your homework. School is more important.

Right. That's the Midwestern mindset, put a label on a person so you can dismiss his or her views accordingly. Never accused anyone in Chicago of having a broad mind, never will. If you ever wonder why there is no serious national journalism in Chicago here is the answer: nobody is interested in small-minded judgemental commentaries.

Last edited by dementor; 03-29-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,453 times
Journalism is a dying profession. Newspapers are closing shop one by one, and TV news has become opinionated, loud entertainment. Journalism no longer a profession to brag about.

Bill O'Reilly is a product of NYC, and plenty of people are apparently interested in his small-minded and judgmental comments.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Journalism is a dying profession. Newspapers are closing shop one by one, and TV news has become opinionated, loud entertainment. Journalism no longer a profession to brag about.

Bill O'Reilly is a product of NYC, and plenty of people are apparently interested in his small-minded and judgmental comments.
You are saying this because there are not notable publications coming out of Chicago. If there were any you would be blabbing about it like about the Olympics that have not happened yet and may not happen at all. (I really wish Chicago GETS to organize the Olympics and there is a federal prosecutor on hand to swiftly put the entire organizing comittee behind bars). Bill O'Reilley is only one of many mieda products of NYC....
Nevertheless Chicago's own World Greatest Newspaper (WGN - Tribune) delegated itself to becoming a bloated version of a very local (parochial) shopping mall paper. Apparently there is either no market for any serious journalism in Chicago or the area is devoid of any journalistic talent. Chicago and Illinois scores poorly on political activism scale which I think allows for such a widespread corruption in the city and state. Then again, what do you expect form the city and state (in)famous for widespread "I do not care" attitude.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:37 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Chicago - the city with the finest architecture in the country.
i think someone needs to pay attention. As someone pointed out in your own source that chicago beat NY by a small margin due to its green design.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 AM

Journalism is dying everywhere, man. Even the Grey Lady's circulation is dropping, and they're trying to sell their stake in the Red Sox to raise cash (talk about irony). Is that your profession? Good luck cause you're gonna need it!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM

By the way, if you like music, you should be familiar with Pitchfork Media. And if you like humor, I'm sure you've heard of The Onion.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Journalism is dying everywhere, man. Even the Grey Lady's circulation is dropping, and they're trying to sell their stake in the Red Sox to raise cash (talk about irony). Is that your profession? Good luck cause you're gonna need it!
No. Dying are the daily police and shopping bloggers passing for local newspapers. The same way photography killed realistic painting, the internet kills mindless third-rate journalism . I am used to seeing copies of WSJ and NYT in virtually any airport in the world and I think this is not going to change.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
No. Dying are the daily bloggers passing for local newspapers. The same way photography killed realistic painting, the internet kills mindless third-rate journalism . I am used to seeing copies of WSJ and NYT in virtually any airport in the world and I think this is not going to change.
Actually you're probably thinking of the International Herald Tribune, published by the NYT. And USA Today is always available in international cities.

It is going to change the day that printing a broadsheet or a tabloid is no longer profitable, and that day is approaching unfortunately. Many cities, including Denver, Seattle and Tucson have gone back to being one-paper towns. The surviving papers in those cities are struggling as well. The newspaper (and magazine) business model is dying because of the internet and Kindle; most newspapers are basically AP and Reuters stories with a few of the bigger columnists thrown in. Gone are the days of newspapers having their own teams of correspondents throughout the world.

There just aren't new revenue streams for papers. Classifieds have gone to craigslist. Advertisers are figuring out that it's cheaper to advertise online, and you can track an ad's effectiveness more easily online. Circulation is not going to rebound either...it has nowhee to go but down.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:21 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,788 times
I think you need to pay attention. And more importantly, someone needs to READ. Is it too hard just to read?

Affirming the evident, the American Institute of Architects recently judged Chicago the city with the finest architecture in the country. To take the obvious a bit further, Chicago holds more important buildings of the past century and a half than any other place in the world. And to look at it another way, Chicago's architecture constitutes one of this country's greatest contributions to modern civilization.

The Not-So-Second City - The Atlantic (January/February 2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
i think someone needs to pay attention. As someone pointed out in your own source that chicago beat NY by a small margin due to its green design.

Last edited by downtown1; 03-29-2009 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City