Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
New York City suburbs 57 49.14%
Chicagoland 59 50.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
What does desnity have to do with uniqueness?
Chicagoland has ALOT of so-called farmland with cookie cutter houses, just except it and move on. Here, how's about I give you 2 Chicago 's up to leave with..........

Old 02-16-2009, 12:17 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
The generalizations going on here are rediculous.

Have any of the people here been to suburbs of NYC and Chicago? They are not exactly the same, but are actually very similar. New York has it's extremely rich areas, and so does Chicago. New York has it's poor suburbs and so does Chicago.

I have been to Long Island and it's suburbs are extremely unique and full of character, but Chicago's North Shore is just as unique and vibrant as Long Island, just half the size.

The Jersey suburbs are different as well, as are Chicago's west suburbs. If you guys have actually been to both cities (which I have) you'd know suburbs in both New York AND Chicago have loads to offer.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

I didn't disagree that Chicagoland doesn't have cookie cutter houses but you guys made it sound like New York's suburbs don't.
Not houses. We are talking here unique cities, towns and areas.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post

Have any of the people here been to suburbs of NYC and Chicago? They are not exactly the same, but are actually very similar. New York has it's extremely rich areas, and so does Chicago. New York has it's poor suburbs and so does Chicago. .
Nafster I have been to way too many. Besides Oak park and evanston there none that I know of that stand out.
NY suburbs in NJ, CT, upstate NY and LI are just more differentiated with actual historical cities such as Jersey City that became a suburn because of NY's growth. It's not that much abotu rich and poor as it is about unique or original.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I'm a firm believer in "walking", but, and this is a big BUT, what happens when the examples I just listed ain't within walking distances. Take a 1hr round trip bus ride to simply get a movie?
Why not you jump on the train and be there within few minutes?

Quote:
'Real' grocery stores in NYC? Sure NYC has them, but they are far and few in between.
Oh... You mean supermarkets? There is not much space for them but yes they do exist plus you have corner delies often open 24/7

Quote:
Book stores?
I do not think there is city with more than NYC.

Quote:
ETC... NYC as a whole, ain't nearly as convienent as people make it out to be. Sure, certain nabes are, but what's the sticker price on rent in those nabes? Do you realize how many areas of Mannhattan that have NO CONVIENENCE to them what-so-ever?
They must be convenient to those paying those rents, right?

Quote:
P.S. Some of the laziest people I ever met were in NYC. I'm talking in terms of walking (also in regards to manual labor too though). You tell them to walk 5 or 6 city blocks, you'd thought you asked them to walk to Jersey or something. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 people I met either, quite a few.
Still, if you live in New York you better learn to walk. It is not an automobile friendly town. Anyways, New York is the convenience capitol of the world. You can get anything, anytime. Life does not stop past midnight.
You talk about lack of parking but in the 10M city located on three islands and a peninsula massice use of public transportation is a must. 75% of households in Manhattan and 50% in five boroughs do not own or have access to a car anyway.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
So you've never been to Naperville, Joliet, Aurora, Highland Park, Crystal Lake, Flossmore, or others, that have their own unique vibe? You just admitted there are none "that you know of" that stand out. Well, because you haven't been to them!!!

Don't be rediculous. Apparently complimenting both Chicago and New York makes New York look bad.
Well and how do you know that I haven't been to them?

Again the only really unique pnes are Oak Park and Evanston and I do not think Crystal Lake is close enough to qualify as suburb.
I have seen Aurora, Joliet, Highland Park but wish you could tell me how are they unique?

PS I have been to Rockford only to realize that I am... in a cornfield.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:

Have any of the people here been to suburbs of NYC and Chicago? They are not exactly the same, but are actually very similar. New York has it's extremely rich areas, and so does Chicago. New York has it's poor suburbs and so does Chicago.

I have been to Long Island and it's suburbs are extremely unique and full of character, but Chicago's North Shore is just as unique and vibrant as Long Island, just half the size.

The Jersey suburbs are different as well, as are Chicago's west suburbs. If you guys have actually been to both cities (which I have) you'd know suburbs in both New York AND Chicago have loads to offer.
I was getting worried that there were no more intelligent ADULT posters on this site.

Thanks Nafster!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
LOL, Rockford is not a suburb. Are you familiar with the state of Illinois? Yes, Crystal Lake is a suburb, a far away one at that.

How is Highland Park unique? It has different restaurants, shops, and theatres than the rest of the surburbs? How are the suburbs in New York unique? The same way the ones in Chicago are unique. You can't really describe them in words.

That's what we are talking about. Unique stores, theaters (you mean movie theaters?) as opposed to NY suburbs when you have location as different as posh residential Greenwhich CT, beautiful Ocean beach communities in Long Beach LI and real cities like Jersey City NJ or White Plains NY. NY suburbs are much older than Chicago's. NY is generally located in a densely populated urban area.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I was getting worried that there were no more intelligent ADULT posters on this site.

Thanks Nafster!
"intelligent adult" because is hailing from Chicago and praising Chicago's suburb? Pretty narrow definition of intelligent and adult

Old 02-16-2009, 09:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Alright the thing is Chicago's suburbs aren't as rich in history as NYC burbs. History makes a town have a vibe to it that no other town can compare to. Modern strip mall towns all look alike and don't have much of a uniquness to it. Sure they're nice homes in modern strip mall towns but it dosn't have that classic feel that the NYC burbs offer.
NYC burbs have some modern strip mall towns, but most of the towns are rich in history with buildings built from the WWII times and even the 1800s! That's what i love about NYC burbs. I love the wide variety of landscape you can choose from and they're so many style of homes to choose from. It's just unbeatable.

Another shoot is that Chcago burbs aren't diverse as NYC burbs. NYC burbs have from black to white to asian to hispanic. North Jersey is one of the most diverse places in the whole country; Also diverse in class meaning blue collar, white collar, and middle class. Yes Chicago is diverse with it's people and it's burbs are diverse with its class, but it's diversity of people and landscape in Chicagoland isn't as diverse as the NYC burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City