Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Philadelphia
Chicago 191 69.96%
Philadelphia 82 30.04%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 08:45 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That's the same with the southern half of Illinois also, especially around Cairo. That doesn't really reflect in the city itself though.
I'd choose Chicago if I had to (though neither city is very southern) mainly because of the southern roots of the black population and much of the white population. East Coast cities (outside of Baltimore/DC) don't have that same feeling.
The white population? What about the white population in Chicago feels southern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 03:23 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The white population? What about the white population in Chicago feels southern?
I think the reason for ignoring the white population in those two cities is because migration from the South accounts for a very small (vanishingly so in Chicago's case) share of the total white population, while most of their black populations trace their roots to the Southeastern US, as they were children of the Great Migration of the early 20th century (and maybe also the Underground Railroad in Philadelphia's case).

But if you do want to look at the white populations, Philadelphia has had a greater degree of interaction with the South in its past thanks to its location. The Mason-Dixon Line, the symbolic border between North and South, is Pennsylvania's southern border, and that border is just 15 miles southwest of Philadelphia. Penn's medical school, the nation's oldest, educated most of the South's doctors prior to the Civil War, and there was significant opposition to the Abolitionist cause in the city. And yet, despite all this, I don't find too many "Southern" cultural markers among Philadelphia's white population, while I can find them among the Black population. (FTR, I'm Black myself, but a native of the Midwest; one side of my family can trace part of its roots to Missouri's days as a territory while much of the rest of it came up from Texas and Louisiana, a different and earlier Great Migration.)

Old 10-09-2020, 03:29 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,800 times
Hillary Clinton is from Chicago and she sounds super country sometimes. Barack Obama does too and he and Michelle lived in Chicago. They all sound super country.

I’ve heard people from Chicago and they all sound different. I use to think they all spoke with a Midwestern accent there. Now I think the major variable there is where the parents are from.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 10-09-2020 at 03:49 AM..

Old 10-09-2020, 05:29 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Hillary Clinton is from Chicago and she sounds super country sometimes. Barack Obama does too and he and Michelle lived in Chicago. They all sound super country.
Barack Obama was born in Hawaii to a white Kansan mother* and a Black Kenyan father, so maybe that's the children-of-the-Great-Migration ambiance of Chicago's "Bronzeville" rubbing off on him.

Similarly, I wonder if Hillary Clinton's speech patterns may not be the result of the Wellesley grad marrying an Arkansan and moving there instead. I know some of my high-school friends in KC said I'd picked up a slight New England accent after just one semester at Harvard, though I disagreed.

*Though come to think of it, while I consider the accent of rural Central/Great Plains residents about as far from Southern as it's possible to get (and the Central/Great Plains accent continues to be the dominant one that broadcast news organizations prefer), I have met some small-town Kansans who sound a little more hillbilly than they do Central Plains.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:38 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Chicago's white population is more southern influenced because Chicago actually received a southern white Appalachian migration wave.

https://www.newcity.com/2012/06/21/h...rom-the-south/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill...hian_migration

In contrast, Philadelphia did not receive the southern white migration wave. Philadelphia's white population historically has always been entirely European immigration based.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:30 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Chicago's white population is more southern influenced because Chicago actually received a southern white Appalachian migration wave.

In contrast, Philadelphia did not receive the southern white migration wave. Philadelphia's white population historically has always been entirely European immigration based.
He's calling you hillbillies, Chicago. Funny thing...I lived there for YEARS, and never ran into what you are calling, a "hillbilly." Not once. BTW, why is this an acceptable term in today's society????? I think it's terribly demeaning.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:33 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post

I’ve heard people from Chicago and they all sound different. I use to think they all spoke with a Midwestern accent there. Now I think the major variable there is where the parents are from.
Barak Obama is not from Chicago. He's from Hawaii.

I think that Philly's white population actually sounds more Southern in speech. Overall, Chicago is more Southern-influenced because of the black population, but the white population of Chicago is less southern-influenced that Philly's.

The classic Chicago accent is Rahm Emmanuel. Well-known Chicago born and raised, include: Harrison Ford, Robin Williams, Bill Murray, Fred and Ben Savage, Cindy Crawford, Jennifer Morrison (Once Upon a Time), John Cusak, Vince Vaughn, Jeff Garlin (Goldbergs), Frank Caliendo, Gina Rodriquez, Michael Pena, Jamie Gertz, Alison Victoria (Windy City Rehab), and too many other examples to name.

None of them have event a hint of a Southern accent.

Philadelphia is right next to Appalachia and is right at the border of the traditional North-South divide line. It's not surprising whites from Philly have more of a southern twang to their accent than whites from Chicago.

Here is a good clip of the classic White Philly accents vs. Chicago. Philly's is clearly more Southern-influenced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP1QEA954yA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtXF0GsLsIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqMsZ0RhjsI

Old 10-09-2020, 07:44 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Overall, Id think Chicago.

I remember reading that the black population in Chicago and Detroit mainly came from the poorest parts of the South. In Chicago's case so many people were from Mississippi. Im not sure what parts of the South the black population came from in Phillys case.

As of 2019, here are the number of people who live in each born in the South:

Chicago - 458,800
Philadelphia - 405,241

Old 10-09-2020, 08:00 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Overall, Id think Chicago.

I remember reading that the black population in Chicago and Detroit mainly came from the poorest parts of the South. In Chicago's case so many people were from Mississippi. Im not sure what parts of the South the black population came from in Phillys case.

As of 2019, here are the number of people who live in each born in the South:

Chicago - 458,800
Philadelphia - 405,241
For African Americans it's Virginia and South Carolina. My mothers' mother is from South Carolina as was her Grandmother. I have relatives in VA. I'll also throw in NC, I knew several people that moved there from Philly.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:11 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
For African Americans it's Virginia and South Carolina. My mothers' mother is from South Carolina as was her Grandmother. I have relatives in VA. I'll also throw in NC, I knew several people that moved there from Philly.
Right. Overall, Chicago is more Southern-influenced because of it's African American population is much more Southern influenced than Chicago's. Chicago's AA influence also comes from much deeper south, where I have also heard, as you have mentioned, Philly's comes from VA and South Carolina (I have also heard people mention NC too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City