Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Philadelphia
Chicago 191 69.96%
Philadelphia 82 30.04%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:52 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The point I was trying to make earlier is that there is no such thing as Northern "purity." There are plenty of examples of outright defiance against abolitionism or race-based violence in the North, even well into Yankee territory.

How about the notable Civil War draft riots of New York: https://www.google.com/amp/observer....ter-today/amp/

Racial tensions in Chicago during the 1800s Civil War era were also well documented: Civil War

Heck, there were lynchings in 1920s Duluth, Minnesota: http://www.mnhs.org/duluthlynchings/lynchings.php

So I guess I just don't see how this types of historical events make Philly the exception.
Fair enough, New York's Irish community did commit the draft riots attacking/murdering many innocent free Blacks in 1863 and, yes, there sadly were many parallel race riots in other cities, both North and South, well into the 20th Century, including the infamous 1919 Chicago riots and, I believe, a Detroit riot sometime around WWII -- both reactions to the African American migrations from the South to escape the KKK, Jim Crow and widespread lynchings...

... all that said, I still believe Philly has a serious Southern vibe people are overlooking. And as for Baltimore, I view it as an absolutely Southern City... and a lot of people view Baltimore as Philly's little brother. In terms of (row-house) architecture, slow-pace and country vibe, these 2 cities are very similar imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:18 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
... all that said, I still believe Philly has a serious Southern vibe people are overlooking. And as for Baltimore, I view it as an absolutely Southern City... and a lot of people view Baltimore as Philly's little brother. In terms of (row-house) architecture, slow-pace and country vibe, these 2 cities are very similar imho.
This is the first time I've ever heard Philly described as having a "serious Southern" and "country" vibe. It's pretty fascinating to me.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:33 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Outside of Alabama, Mississippi, and the Deep South, Baltimore and Philly DO NOT have southern vibes.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Outside of Alabama, Mississippi, and the Deep South, Baltimore and Philly DO NOT have southern vibes.
As a historically Southern city, Baltimore does have some Southern undertones but that's neither here nor there since the thread is about Chicago and Philly.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:57 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Meanwhile Chicago keeps increasing its share in the poll...

Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Meanwhile Chicago keeps increasing its share in the poll...
Not surprising at all. I voted for Chicago being more southern influenced, solely because of the Black population. Compared to Philly, a solidly Northeast city, the black population of Chicago (and anywhere else in the Midwest) is definitely more Southern influenced. So Chicago should keep increasing its share in the poll.

The thread got off topic for a while discussing whether or not MD and DC are southern or not like all threads eventually do, lol. Now that the thread is back on track, people are actually addressing the question!

Old 07-26-2018, 01:53 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

Either you're trolling, or you're talking about Philadelphia, Mississippi. You're not talking about Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, PA is a quintessential northeastern city. Next thing you're going to say is that Birmingham, Alabama is a very northern city.
Baltimore is a transitional city that's neither northern or southern. Baltimore can't be shoehorned into a region and that's ok.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:00 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post

Either you're trolling, or you're talking about Philadelphia, Mississippi. You're not talking about Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, PA is a quintessential northeastern city. Next thing you're going to say is that Birmingham, Alabama is a very northern city.
Baltimore is a transitional city that's neither northern or southern. Baltimore can't be shoehorned into a region and that's ok.
Baltimore isn't really a transitional city at all. I could see DC being a transitional city, but Baltimore really is kinda quintessential southern like a bigger Richmond.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore isn't really a transitional city at all. I could see DC being a transitional city, but Baltimore really is kinda quintessential southern like a bigger Richmond.
Ok now you've gone way overboard. You perceive Baltimore as a Southern city, cool...but there's no way in the world it's a quintessential Southern city. That's never been the case, even during the days when the city was more widely considered Southern.

I hate to participate in dragging the thread off-topic again, but I couldn't let that slide at all.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:01 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Not even Richmond is quintessential southern LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City