Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,354,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Get your facts straight if you want to play this game bub. Atlanta did NOT come up with the Nascar Hall of Fame, and you know it. We were approached by NASCAR to milk more out of Charlotte, just like they approached Daytona, Richmond and Kansas City. We all know they intended to go to Charlotte from the very day the project was envisioned.

You know that, as does everyone else in the region that can read.

Your pathetic little attempt to boost Charlotte at Atlanta's expense is backfiring, badly.

Oh, and just so you know - there are many, many Atlantans that are GLAD we don't have the thing here.
too, for a city so seemingly self-conscious about its image, consider how most of the north, northeast, and the west and pacific north west view nascar---most link it to "rednecks." i realize that such is stereotyping, however, i probably have to agree w/ them. charlotte would do about as well to tussle over landing the world champion wrestling hall of fame and its classic attractions in the arena. nothing of which i would really be proud. if an elevated and cosmopolitan image is what i sought, i am saying, imo, i would not be looking for validation through nascar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,913,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
In general I agree, although I personally made it a point to hit the botanical garden and Lake Eola downtown. But after 5 trips to Charleston, to me it's like been there done that. Orlando's attractions COULD be anywhere but are not anywhere. And for somebody like me with a family, it becomes even more compelling the idea of seeing your kids enjoy the vacation than hitting the same cultural spot you've hit 5 times before that your kids aren't really going to be into. The only thing I go to Charleston for anymore after the first 3 trips is Reggae Nights in James Island County Park.
Well I suppose we just have two different perspectives, especially since I don't have kids. I just find theme park tourism much less interesting, especially since it has nothing to do with the city itself. Those theme parks have absolutely no attachment to Orlando in the way of history, culture, etc. On the other hand, I can go to Charleston and just enjoy the city's ambiance without having to do anything special or spend a lot of money, but if I do want to do something special or shell out a few extra bucks for an enhanced tourist experience, I can do that as well. That option doesn't really exist in Orlando. At any rate, that's why I find the notion of Orlando being the "best tourist city in the South" debatable at best.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,403,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I can not find the link, but trust me. It was the brainchild of Atlanta. Nascar decided that the only fair way to do things was to have a competition for the museum. That is what actually happened.
You can't find the link because it doesn't exist, and no, I don't trust you.

There is absolutely no way you can proove that Atlanta came up with the idea of a NASCAR Hall of Fame because IT NEVER HAPPENED. We were approached by NASCAR. What part of that do you not understand?

Is this some new urban legend that was cooked up to make Charlotte feel better about having the thing there?

Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,385,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
too, for a city so seemingly self-conscious about its image, consider how most of the north, northeast, and the west and pacific north west view nascar---most link it to "rednecks." i realize that such is stereotyping, however, i probably have to agree w/ them. charlotte would do about as well to tussle over landing the world champion wrestling hall of fame and its classic attractions in the arena. nothing of which i would really be proud. if an elevated and cosmopolitan image is what i sought, i am saying, imo, i would not be looking for validation through nascar.
Mayor Shirley Franklin of Atlanta (black female) risked her career trying to get the Nacar Hall of Fame to come to Atlanta.

Here is an interesting story about the Charlotte vs. Atlanta battle from Atlanta's newspaper.

Rivalry to be economic King of South heats up | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/05/10/charlotte_atlanta_economy.html - broken link)

Old 06-16-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Mayor Shirley Franklin of Atlanta (black female) risked her career trying to get the Nacar Hall of Fame to come to Atlanta.

Here is an interesting story about the Charlotte vs. Atlanta battle from Atlanta's newspaper.

Rivalry to be economic King of South heats up | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/05/10/charlotte_atlanta_economy.html - broken link)
Again, more pure BS. Shirley NEVER did any such thing.

At this point, you either need to put up or shut up. You need to provide a serious link to proove that Shirley risked her career attempting to secure the NASCAR HOF. Where do you come up with this garbage?

That little joke of an article from our third-rate newspaper caused quite a stir around here, but the main reason for the article was to light a fire under our do-nothing State Legislature and our idiot of a Governor to get transit funding for the metro. Nothing more.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:

I think the purpose of that story was really to light a fire under the GA Legislature to show what could eventually happen if they don't become more progressive in terms of remaining competitive, not to make it seem like Atlanta has a true peer up along I-85 that's about to steal the show. On just about every conceivable level, Atlanta's got a big leg up on Charlotte and that cannot be denied.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,067,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's the thing; I'm not a teenager anymore. At least when I go to Charleston, I actually go to see Charleston--its history, culture, cuisine, etc. When people go to Orlando, they rarely even step foot inside the actual city, much less downtown. They're going to see a bunch of attractions that could be anywhere.
That's really their loss. Orlando's downtown is very similar to Charlotte's as far as foot traffic, places to eat, drink, listen to music, and dance. We just don't have the skyline.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,385,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Again, more pure BS. Shirley NEVER did any such thing.

At this point, you either need to put up or shut up. You need to provide a serious link to proove that Shirley risked her career attempting to secure the NASCAR HOF. Where do you come up with this garbage?

That little joke of an article from our third-rate newspaper caused quite a stir around here, but the main reason for the article was to light a fire under our do-nothing State Legislature and our idiot of a Governor to get transit funding for the metro. Nothing more.
Why didn't they choose to write about Nashville? Or Birmingham? Memphis maybe? Why not Dallas or Houston (true peers of Atlanta).

I am still looking for that link to Shirley Franklin's last ditch attempt to offer more money towards Atlanta's bid for the Nascar Hall. She actually over stepped her boundaries by doing so.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Why didn't they choose to write about Nashville? Or Birmingham? Memphis maybe? Why not Dallas or Houston (true peers of Atlanta).

I am still looking for that link to Shirley Franklin's last ditch attempt to offer more money towards Atlanta's bid for the Nascar Hall. She actually over stepped her boundaries by doing so.
Because your State Legislature is more progressive than ours when it comes to funding for alternative means of transportation, that's why. The business community here is LIVID with our State Government at this point. I would not be surprised if the article wasn't a "plant" by some well connected Chamber of Commerce types.

Your sad attempt to not back down on this ridiculous claim that Shirley Franklin tried to offer more money to NASCAR is laughable at best, but I repeat - you will not find a link. It never happened.

I live and breathe local politics. You are arguing with the wrong guy here.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
That's really their loss. Orlando's downtown is very similar to Charlotte's as far as foot traffic, places to eat, drink, listen to music, and dance. We just don't have the skyline.
I'm not saying that Orlando's downtown is dead, but I don't think it's nearly as interesting as Charleston's--certainly not as historic. In other words, when it comes to leisure travel, very few people will travel to Orlando for Orlando; they're just there for the theme parks. For instance, I don't know what I would travel all the way from Charlotte to downtown Orlando to see or do that I can't see or do in my own city or another city much closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City