Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,068,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Wow you have nowhere to go. How is it again that Denver is poor at supporting its teams? how is it that cities with losing teams still get a lot of support?
Are you seriously challenged? What exactly don't you don't you understand? Most cities with losing, professional sports teams don't support them. Therefore, there are only a handful of truly great sports cities and Denver is not one of them.

Quote:
Try not to attack my source because you are wrong
LOL! Your source ranked Lawrence, KS over Cleveland. Enough said.

Give it up already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,481,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Unfortunately Boston is at the top. I've never seen a city so wrapped up in it's sports teams in all my travels. Everything revolves around Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots, and Bruins. All year round it's nothing but foaming at the mouth rabid sports fans on TV commercials, radio, news print, restaurants, barber shops you name it. Men, women and children of all ages go on and on about Red Sox this and Patriots that, it's pathetic. This is a city that has so much going for it, but sports over shadows everything and pre-occupies the minds of it's residents. Never seen anything like it anywhere and hope I never will. There is so much hate for the Yankees in Boston that you'll see examples of it across the entire state. It's so random and widespread that the inferiority complex of Bostonians comes seathing out at the mere mention of NYC. They can't relate to NYC unless they bash the Yankees or Eli Manning first.
Hilarious. People don't have nearly as much hate for the Yankees as there once was. At this point, we're just laughing at them. They just built a multi-billion dollar stadium which they haven't sold out once, they signed $500+ million worth of contracts in the offseason and still look lost. We just continue to improve our existing ballpark, and we get rid of our best player and continue to be much more successful.

We dislike Peyton much more than we dislike Eli, though neither of them are too popular. The "foaming at the mouth Bostonian" isn't nearly as bad as it once was...I'd give the title of "Most Viscious Fans" to Philadelphia. I'm glad we've had this affect on you though. Your tears give me sustenance.

P.S. I love how somehow people associate angry Bostonians with having an "inferiority complex"...most Bostonians love NYC, we just hate the Yankees.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 PM

795 posts, read 2,412,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Are you seriously challenged? What exactly don't you don't you understand?

LOL! Your source ranked Lawrence, KS over Cleveland. Enough said.

Give it up already.
How about you answer the questions? Or are you at loss with words as your post suggests?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
How about you answer the questions? Or are you at loss with words as your post suggests?
Go back and read through my comments again.

Don't worry people, not everyone from Denver is on the same level as D-town.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Go back and read through my comments again.

Don't worry people, not everyone from Denver is on the same level as D-town.
I read your comments and they were lousy. i gave a rebuttal, several for that matter. i am waiting for a response.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,084,452 times
Quote:
Boston no doubt is the number one sports city. The red sox have been great since the 80's. the pats well have had a lot of recent success as well as the celtics. Of course the fan base seems to be here a product of success in a pro team. Losing teams just don't get much support and cities with multiple losing teams seem to suffer from this.
A lack of success doesn't always translate into a lack of support. Look at the Green Bay Packers, they sucked for decades before signing Brett Favre, yet they have managed to sell out every single home game since 1960. Same goes for the Chicago Cubs, regardless of how terrible they are doing, Wrigley never has a shortage of fans in attendance. Denver, on the other hand, is a perfect example of a fair-weather city.

Honestly, in the nearly 5 years I lived out in Denver, I saw more Cubs and Yankees caps around town than Rockies caps. I attended several Rockies games against the Cubs and Brewers, in which there were easily more Cubs fans at the game than Rockies fans and an equal number of Brewers fans. This would never happen in a city with die-hard support from fans.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM

10,180 posts, read 20,810,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Hilarious. People don't have nearly as much hate for the Yankees as there once was. At this point, we're just laughing at them. They just built a multi-billion dollar stadium which they haven't sold out once, they signed $500+ million worth of contracts in the offseason and still look lost. We just continue to improve our existing ballpark, and we get rid of our best player and continue to be much more successful.

We dislike Peyton much more than we dislike Eli, though neither of them are too popular. The "foaming at the mouth Bostonian" isn't nearly as bad as it once was...I'd give the title of "Most Viscious Fans" to Philadelphia. I'm glad we've had this affect on you though. Your tears give me sustenance.

P.S. I love how somehow people associate angry Bostonians with having an "inferiority complex"...most Bostonians love NYC, we just hate the Yankees.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bostonians are vicious fans. They are fairly tolerant of other fans at home events. Philly is by far the worst, no argument there.

I still see lot's of Yankee hatred, regardless of how poorly the Yankees are doing. I'm no Yankees fan, so it doesn't phase me really. But every time I'm asked where I'm from, once I say NYC, the first question out of a Mass native's mouth is...You a Yankees fan?

I'm a Giants fan and I don't like Eli, but after the Superbowl, oh my lord was there ever some Eli bashing going on. I do like Peyton though, and the Brady/P. Manning rivalry is one of the most exciting to watch whenever they are on the field against one another.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
A lack of success doesn't always translate into a lack of support. Look at the Green Bay Packers, they sucked for decades before signing Brett Favre, yet they have managed to sell out every single home game since 1960. Same goes for the Chicago Cubs, regardless of how terrible they are doing, Wrigley never has a shortage of fans in attendance. Denver, on the other hand, is a perfect example of a fair-weather city.

Honestly, in the nearly 5 years I lived out in Denver, I saw more Cubs and Yankees caps around town than Rockies caps. I attended several Rockies games against the Cubs and Brewers, in which there were easily more Cubs fans at the game than Rockies fans and an equal number of Brewers fans. This would never happen in a city with die-hard support from fans.
Green bay has a long history of success - how many Lombardi trophies again?

The rockies are a newer team and have yet to slip under 28k game attendance. How are there more cubs fans then Rockies fans given this figure? Are cubs fans also rockies fans because clearly the rockies and cubs dont play ever game...

But please show me where a city supports its teams that are miserable? For that matter show me that attendance hasnt gone down...

Old 05-13-2009, 02:03 PM

10,180 posts, read 20,810,169 times
Quote:
Boston no doubt is the number one sports city. The red sox have been great since the 80's. the pats well have had a lot of recent success as well as the celtics. Of course the fan base seems to be here a product of success in a pro team. Losing teams just don't get much support and cities with multiple losing teams seem to suffer from this.
To an extent you're right, however there are cities like Cleveland which have some of the most loyal and dedicated fans in the country, yet they have losing teams year after year. Same with Chicago. To be a Bears or Cubs fan all these years takes some commitment and loyalty. The Buffalo Bills have a very loyal following despite losing four Superbowls and having a crappy team for the last ten years.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I read your comments and they were lousy. i gave a rebuttal, several for that matter. i am waiting for a response.
Denver has not always supported the Nuggets well (fact). The city/state currently isn't supporting the Avs. well (fact). The Rockies aren't consistent with yearly attendance as they have ranked anywhere from #5 (2001) to 23rd (2006) (fact). There are only a handful of truly great sports cities and Denver is not one of them.

I already answered your ridiculous comment about downtown stadiums and the relation to attendance. You were wrong there too.

As far as your source is concerned, I think it's rubbish. There is no way Lawrence, KS ranks higher than Cleveland and Morgantown, W. VA ranks higher than Green Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City