Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would rather live in the...
Rust Belt 182 44.61%
Sun Belt 226 55.39%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:50 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
*Is Philly, Chicago, Boston, New York, and D.C. rustbelt? I they are okay, if not some people need to read the thread title.
Maybe not so much Boston (though much of Massachusetts is), but the outer layers of New York City such as North Jersey and the outer boroughs are the rust belt, as well as much of Philly, the outer layers of DC, and both far South sides of Chicago (NW Indiana as well) and the far North burbs of Chicago (North Chicago, Waukegan, and Zion in particular).

Yes, the Rust Belt is BIG. Very Big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
the outer layers of DC
Anything that can be considered a part of the DC area is not part of the Rust Belt.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Show me a source. And it's spelled "border."
Oh right border, I knew there was something wrong when I was spelling it. Alright then, you want a source.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:02 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
It looks like YOU need to read more into what the rust belt represents.

The rust belt DOES in fact include the outer boroughs of NYC and Northern New Jersey, most of Philly, most of Chicago, and the areas outlying DC!

All those areas (basically the north as a whole) are the centers of the manufacturing industry of the American economy! Yes, manufacturing exists in the "Sun Belt" (which should actually be called the "Dry Belt" because it's all running dry of water), but the Rust Belt is where the center of it all is, and where the hub of the steel economy lays.

Manufacturing in the south is important, but if you honestly think the Sun Belt has more history and importance than the rust belt, you have another thing coming.

Subdivisions exist nationwide yes, but only in the Sun Belt are they inescapable. It's rare to find a subdivision in any rust belt city. Subdivisions exist all over Houston, Phoenix, and Charlotte.

And the cities in the sun belt (except maybe Miami and New Orleans) just don't pack the punch and fun of the cities in the Rust Belt. Sorry, Houston, Phoenix, and Charlotte may be big, but they just don't cut it for me. Been there done that, there plenty of big suburbs around New York or Chicago that feel just like them. I'll go to LA if I want to be in a suburban city, because at least LA has culture and is fun.
Miami? Miami is nothing but one big celebrity playground. I find Atlanta and Houston to be much more fun. And LA has culture and ATL doesn't? Just because they are always in the media and are the center for pop culture doesn't mean it has more historic charm and culture than a place like ATL. But you are obviously a southern hater so I don't know why I just wasted my time typing this. I should shoot myself

Old 07-05-2009, 06:16 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times
Quote:
*Is Philly, Chicago, Boston, New York, and D.C. rustbelt? I they are okay, if not some people need to read the thread title.
*I hear some talk about being environmentally friendly (or something close) and I just have to say that, "Stop the bs please?", it's ridiculous. I would put money on California having more people who care about the environment than the entire rustbelt...If you rustbelters really cared about the environment (we all know that you don't) than match your California counterparts who live in trees, and convert their toilet water into fresh spring (tasting) water, reuse their milk after eating cerael, who wash their hands and save the water so they can water their garden in their back yard, etc. Okay, I forgot what else that California family did but I bet the rustbelters on here don't care about the earth that much.
You're referring to northern california (specifically San Francisco/Bay Area). Southern Cali is filled with LA trash and smog, although I know that there is a sizable population of movie stars who really do care about the environment.

About your comment stating that there are no environmentalists in the rust belt.... maybe there is not a population that is as sizable as the northeast, but since we naturally lean liberal, so do our views on the environment, especially with the possibility of green-collar jobs being created here. The sunbelt leans conservative, and loves oil, nukes, and Reagan, again, all things that are either dead, being depleted, or are being overused for poitical play by those who only wish to benefit themselves while degrading the rest of the country (ex- auto industry nosedive under Bush killed rust belt more, Halliburton, based in Houston and largely owned by Dick Cheney, grew and prospered). So, you in the sun and humidity have had all of the political play for the past 28 years, and a serious, unbreakable influence since Kennedy. This was also the time your growth took off. Explain to me how these facts are not connected.[/rant]

Old 07-05-2009, 06:24 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Quote:
*I hear some talk about being environmentally friendly (or something close) and I just have to say that, "Stop the bs please?", it's ridiculous. I would put money on California having more people who care about the environment than the entire rustbelt...If you rustbelters really cared about the environment (we all know that you don't) than match your California counterparts who live in trees, and convert their toilet water into fresh spring (tasting) water, reuse their milk after eating cerael, who wash their hands and save the water so they can water their garden in their back yard, etc. Okay, I forgot what else that California family did but I bet the rustbelters on here don't care about the earth that much.
If you would go through the pain of parting with your soap box you'd see that the US as a whole is the largest polluter in the world and few Americans anywhere could be arsed to have any sort of consideration for the Earth, especially not in the area the US Census Bureau calls "The South Atlantic".

I won't even be bothered to rub together the brain cells to formulate a paragraph on how daft it is that you think the family that you saw typifies Californians. I don't see many people in metro LA living in trees.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:39 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, I don't know...but the Rustbelt must stop somewhere, and it stops before it gets to Syracuse. The link you provided substantiates this.

The link he provided mentions Syracuse as a rust belt city several times. You should just say that you don't believe his link.

Anyhow, I love the rust belt, but I'll go with the sun belt instead since it includes both the southwest and southeast.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Maybe not so much Boston (though much of Massachusetts is), but the outer layers of New York City such as North Jersey and the outer boroughs are the rust belt, as well as much of Philly, the outer layers of DC, and both far South sides of Chicago (NW Indiana as well) and the far North burbs of Chicago (North Chicago, Waukegan, and Zion in particular).

Yes, the Rust Belt is BIG. Very Big.
No part of the DC metro is considered Rustbelt. Per Wikipedia:

Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 PM

157 posts, read 397,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post

About your comment stating that there are no environmentalists in the rust belt.... maybe there is not a population that is as sizable as the northeast, but since we naturally lean liberal, so do our views on the environment, especially with the possibility of green-collar jobs being created here. The sunbelt leans conservative, and loves oil, nukes, and Reagan, again, all things that are either dead, being depleted, or are being overused for poitical play by those who only wish to benefit themselves while degrading the rest of the country (ex- auto industry nosedive under Bush killed rust belt more, Halliburton, based in Houston and largely owned by Dick Cheney, grew and prospered). So, you in the sun and humidity have had all of the political play for the past 28 years, and a serious, unbreakable influence since Kennedy. This was also the time your growth took off. Explain to me how these facts are not connected.[/rant]
I'm glad that people in the Rust Belt have now developed an affinity for the environment, conveniently after the general death of industry (and economic prosperity) in that region.

Those of us beyond a certain age remember what it looked like to fly into Detroit in 1970. Or hearing news of the Cuyahoga River catching fire. Or times when streetlights had to be used in the middle of the day in Pittsburgh. Or reading about the heavily polluted, garbage-filled Chicago River. Or, in cities from Buffalo to St. Louis, thinking nothing of soot-covered buildings.

So yes - quite glad that people in the region, now, have boarded the sustainability bandwagon.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:49 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And? I'm sorry, but Syracuse isn't part of the Rustbelt.
Have you even been here? It definitely is. Here's some more references: http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...05234305002008

http://www.grist.org/article/rustbelt/

http://www.nearwestsidestory.org/design.php (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City