Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I like wearing jeans, sweats, heavy sweaters, down, etc. That is hardly Sunbelt wardrobe.
So why in the world do you live in the Sunbelt? This is like saying that I like that Jesus guy a lot, but I go to a Satanist church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
I think it might be the people up there in the north who might be the TRUE racist. They won't acknowledge the Spanish and Native American CULTURE history of Florida, Texas, and countless other states in the sunbelt. Nor will they acknowledge the civil rights history of Atlanta and countless other southern states. Yet, all the NORTHERN states have history and culture, based off of all the ANGLO SAXON history of Europe. White northern Europeans and all of that. To them THAT is REAL history and culture. But all that spanish history down here dosen't mean squat. I guess your city has to have a long Anglo history to be considered cultured.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Yes, there are Krispy Kreme's and Dunkin' doughnuts all over america, mailnly due to the fact that they had a major growth effort in many regions of the US recently. I also know that every local Rally's location and all Hrdee's locations but about 2 have closed. And, it is impossible to get biscuits and gravy at any local Arby's location up here, the only restraunt where that's a menu option is Bob Evans, which is from southeastern Ohio.

Also, if you look at your fattest cities list... 9 of the top 10 are in the south, and the "north" (just to give a broader area that will be comparable in population the the south.... this means all that is east of the Mississippi, north of the Ohio) hosts 1 of the top 10 and 7 of the top 25. The south hosts 9 of the top 10 and 14 of the top 25. Even among those who look upon the region favorably (which is most, and yes, I am becoming more ambivalent about it), they view it as a fat region due to lifestyle and food choices.

Again, I'm not saying all and everybody is, but your food choices were ingrained into your region's heritage long ago, and the suburban lifestyle is now. However, with NYC ranking so highly......
1. So you admit that your original statement was false? Before you said that these places don't exist outside of the South...but they do. The locations have not closed...that's false as well. I guess you also have something against biscuits and gravy, but that is available in Ohio as well. Good Lord, Ohio is KNOWN for it's fat people.

2. 7 out of the top 10 fattest cities are in the South (not 9 as you stated above)...Las Vegas, NYC, and El Paso are not southern cities. 11 out of the top 25 fattest cities are in the South (not 14, as you stated above)...adding Memphis, Tulsa, Raleigh, and Dallas to the original 7. I mean, let's be honest if we're going to have a discussion.

3. Please get real...our food choices are just like that of any other region. Do you think the South is cut off from the rest of the world? We aren't.

4. You seem to act like there is not a suburban lifestyle in Ohio or anywhere else. It's no different in the South...but I wouldn't expect you to know that. What I would expect is that you wouldn't attempt to ACT like you know what you're talking about when it's obvious that you don't.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:51 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
1. So you admit that your original statement was false? Before you said that these places don't exist outside of the South...but they do. The locations have not closed...that's false as well. I guess you also have something against biscuits and gravy, but that is available in Ohio as well. Good Lord, Ohio is KNOWN for it's fat people.

2. 7 out of the top 10 fattest cities are in the South (not 9 as you stated above)...Las Vegas, NYC, and El Paso are not southern cities. 11 out of the top 25 fattest cities are in the South (not 14, as you stated above)...adding Memphis, Tulsa, Raleigh, and Dallas to the original 7. I mean, let's be honest if we're going to have a discussion.

3. Please get real...our food choices are just like that of any other region. Do you think the South is cut off from the rest of the world? We aren't.

4. You seem to act like there is not a suburban lifestyle in Ohio or anywhere else. It's no different in the South...but I wouldn't expect you to know that. What I would expect is that you wouldn't attempt to ACT like you know what you're talking about when it's obvious that you don't.
Thanks for putting your comments in number order ....

Anyways...

1. Trust me, they closed. Cincy/Dayton only has about 5 Hardee's, down from about 50, and I haven't seen a Rally's in existence for a while now. However, they may still be holding strong in the upper midwest

2. El Paso? Yeah, that's in a land called Texas, quite clearly the south (unless of course, we give it back to Mexico...). Also, I don't have the graphic you posted up conveniently, so I'll double check my counting, and do a city-by-city breakdown later.

3. Ever heard of Biscuits and Gravy, Sweet Tea, Tenderloins, or Grits?

4. Yes suburbia exists in Ohio.... but unlike your area, we have dense urban areas even in our smallest towns that are quite walkable and sustainable.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:21 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:

Quote:
2. El Paso? Yeah, that's in a land called Texas, quite clearly the south (unless of course, we give it back to Mexico...). Also, I don't have the graphic you posted up conveniently, so I'll double check my counting, and do a city-by-city breakdown later. :rolleyes
:

You know what he means. Culturally, El Paso has little in common with the South and they have more in common with the Southwest. No need to be technical about it. Topographically, El Paso looks nothing like the Southeast or the general Southern area.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Thanks for putting your comments in number order ....

Anyways...

1. Trust me, they closed. Cincy/Dayton only has about 5 Hardee's, down from about 50, and I haven't seen a Rally's in existence for a while now. However, they may still be holding strong in the upper midwest

2. El Paso? Yeah, that's in a land called Texas, quite clearly the south (unless of course, we give it back to Mexico...). Also, I don't have the graphic you posted up conveniently, so I'll double check my counting, and do a city-by-city breakdown later.

3. Ever heard of Biscuits and Gravy, Sweet Tea, Tenderloins, or Grits?

4. Yes suburbia exists in Ohio.... but unlike your area, we have dense urban areas even in our smallest towns that are quite walkable and sustainable.

El Paso is about as Southern as Tucson is, seriously even though its in Texas its probably more related to Phoenix than it is any other TX city.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I think people like living in the Sun Belt cause----

you have diversity in the land-- hiking,skiing,biking,fishing,camping,4-wheeling,dirt biking all kinds of outdoor activities close by

the differences in temps and more of a mild climate

the cultures and history of the areas

the cities are all growing and becoming attractive to retirees

Old 07-12-2009, 08:30 AM

174 posts, read 403,944 times
Quote:

3. Ever heard of Biscuits and Gravy....
1.That's more of a reflection of Ohio's struggling economy...not because of concerns for health...

3. Yes, we've all heard of biscuts and gravy...and I must admit OHIO's Bob Evans is the best I've ever had!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:49 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Yeah, El Paso has almost NOTHING to do with the South. Ask anyone from GA, LA, MISS, about El Paso and they'll probably give you a blank stare. Deserts, Cactus, Arid Heat, and Missions, don't really have anything to do with southern culture, climate, or topography.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think it might be the people up there in the north who might be the TRUE racist. They won't acknowledge the Spanish and Native American CULTURE history of Florida, Texas, and countless other states in the sunbelt. Nor will they acknowledge the civil rights history of Atlanta and countless other southern states. Yet, all the NORTHERN states have history and culture, based off of all the ANGLO SAXON history of Europe. White northern Europeans and all of that. To them THAT is REAL history and culture. But all that spanish history down here dosen't mean squat. I guess your city has to have a long Anglo history to be considered cultured.
Whoa there buddy, there is just as much, in fact, MORE Native American history up here than teh Southwest. Sure there were tribes in the SW, but most were sadly driven from out East (or completely killed) to the SW. Spanish culture/history is indeed unique and I DO find it interesting, especially New Mexico and their deep Spanish heritage. However, just because most of the Eastern states have majority Anglo roots, doesnt make us "racist". Thats a completely lame thing to say and accuse us of. While most of the area East of the Mississippi is indeed historically majority white European, it is, factually, more diverse (racially and historically) than anything West of the Mississippi (if you count all the nationalities). Do you see where theyre coming from wiht their arguments now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City