Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
How delusional of you! I wouldn't hold your breath.
Normally, I would let my arguement go at this point, but this should be fun to dispute. I'll number my arguements to make a rebuttal easier for you.

1. What else is their to take? I mean really? Staying in Dayton, Ohio sometimes feels like being the last one to show up at a "going out of business" sale at the local K-Mart. It is depressing and godawful, and I don't see what we've done to deserve it. Does it feel good to steal our jobs with stimulus money? Do you enjoy rejoicing about all of the new call-centers and warehouses you're building so the mudeaters can come out of their huts in hicklad nearby to take a minimum-wage job at some nicely-landscaped, big-box hellhole? Yes, you stole NCR, and although it was done in an unfair and IMO, ILLEGAL manner, that's okay. It's business. I understand. What I don't understand is how y'all (and yes, I mean all of the citizens in your region without so much as a second thought) can blatantly demoralize another region of the country so ruthlessly, and then complain when we try and defend ourselves. To get an idea of how many rust-belt activists like myself feel, it's kind of like Goliath sitting on David and complaining that he has butt pain when David try to wiggle his way out, so he decides to pick him up and squeese his head until it crushes.

Hasn't your region done enough to us, much less now take the stance as being victim? This attitude is also one that disgusted me about conservatives as well, especially during the Bush administration when they had nothing to worry about.

2. Most likely, you are going to point to taxes and unions as a rebuttal just as every other ignorant southerner on here has done. First off, get some facts, and make sure they are correct. I don't want to read some BS from some Conservative think tank that shuttles money off to Newt Gingrich to fight for gun rights or other crap y'all think is important. I want a non-partisan, reliable, preferrably government source to back up your claims, and no, I will not follow a link. Then we'll talk.

3. Believe it or not, we are making strides. We are being more careful with the type of development we usher in, and many plans take 10+ years to come to fruitition because developers know that any development in this region that will be successful must also be thoroughly planned and quality must be good, because we are a vuyer's market and it is just as easy to use what resources we already have. The south, on the other hand, does not have that luxury, thus allowing for shoddy development, non-existent planning, and pathetic standards. In a lot of ways, it can compare to the quality of China's current building boom and products produced, or that of Post-War (or even pre-war) Detroit when they needed housing fast to house all of the auto workers. Many northeastern communities are well-founded, well-planned, and built with quality, a trend I see my region moving toward.

Okay, that's all I got for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Why don't you just come out and say that you HOPE the Sunbelt will see a steady demise?
I dont have to Hope, its already happening big time in many sunbelt states. Look at the disaster Florida has become, for example.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Normally, I would let my arguement go at this point, but this should be fun to dispute. I'll number my arguements to make a rebuttal easier for you.

1. What else is their to take? I mean really? Staying in Dayton, Ohio sometimes feels like being the last one to show up at a "going out of business" sale at the local K-Mart. It is depressing and godawful, and I don't see what we've done to deserve it. Does it feel good to steal our jobs with stimulus money? Do you enjoy rejoicing about all of the new call-centers and warehouses you're building so the mudeaters can come out of their huts in hicklad nearby to take a minimum-wage job at some nicely-landscaped, big-box hellhole? Yes, you stole NCR, and although it was done in an unfair and IMO, ILLEGAL manner, that's okay. It's business. I understand. What I don't understand is how y'all (and yes, I mean all of the citizens in your region without so much as a second thought) can blatantly demoralize another region of the country so ruthlessly, and then complain when we try and defend ourselves. To get an idea of how many rust-belt activists like myself feel, it's kind of like Goliath sitting on David and complaining that he has butt pain when David try to wiggle his way out, so he decides to pick him up and squeese his head until it crushes.

Hasn't your region done enough to us, much less now take the stance as being victim? This attitude is also one that disgusted me about conservatives as well, especially during the Bush administration when they had nothing to worry about.

2. Most likely, you are going to point to taxes and unions as a rebuttal just as every other ignorant southerner on here has done. First off, get some facts, and make sure they are correct. I don't want to read some BS from some Conservative think tank that shuttles money off to Newt Gingrich to fight for gun rights or other crap y'all think is important. I want a non-partisan, reliable, preferrably government source to back up your claims, and no, I will not follow a link. Then we'll talk.

3. Believe it or not, we are making strides. We are being more careful with the type of development we usher in, and many plans take 10+ years to come to fruitition because developers know that any development in this region that will be successful must also be thoroughly planned and quality must be good, because we are a vuyer's market and it is just as easy to use what resources we already have. The south, on the other hand, does not have that luxury, thus allowing for shoddy development, non-existent planning, and pathetic standards. In a lot of ways, it can compare to the quality of China's current building boom and products produced, or that of Post-War (or even pre-war) Detroit when they needed housing fast to house all of the auto workers. Many northeastern communities are well-founded, well-planned, and built with quality, a trend I see my region moving toward.

Okay, that's all I got for now.
First of all, back off on the condescending tone and attitude jocko, okay?

Second of all, this repeated crap that you keep spouting about Georgia using stimulus money to lure NCR is just that - CRAP. I challenge you to PROVE otherwise.

And just so you know, Georgia is a donor State. We send more tax dollars to DC than we get in return. The stimulus package for Georgia is under a billion dollars, hardly what I call fair to the 9th largest State.

Third of all, you are speaking with someone who grew up in the Cleveland area. I thank God that my Dad (a native Ohioan) was smart enough to see the writing on the wall before you were even born, and got us the hell out of there. Along with MILLIONS of your former neighbors. Is it a better life down here? You better beleive it is, for many, many reasons.

The one thing that can said about the Atlanta region is that we embrace change. Perhaps Ohio can learn to do the same before it's too late.

As far as your opinion that the NE is so far superior to any other region, and that the South resembles China in it's new built form (WTH???), well you are entitled to it, but it's just more of the same CRAP.

Mudeaters? Hickland? Now serving bitter, party of YOU LOOSE.

You should probably be exploring new places to live at this point. It's over.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,399 times
Aw, you didn't follow my number format. I'll try again.

1. YOUR STATE didn't embrace change by going Republican in the 2008 election, which supported failed policies of the past. Nice Try, Jocko.

2. I could find about a million articles supporting my claim, but I'll just tell you instead and let you have fun going article-hunting: The building used to house the new NCR would have been renovated by the city of Duluth, Georgia, with millions in stimulus money as part of the "package" to support economic growth and development in a region that is a far cry from needing it. Not exactly what I call "fair".

3. You should be a donor state, because you have been stealing jobs unfairly from our region for the past 25 years now. Time to pay it back, and yes, we appreciate it.
Thank you.

4. Another Ohio ex-pat. Great, I'm guessing from your attitude taht we were better off without you. Time to move on.

5. IMO Atlanta=Detroit. 'Nuff said.

Okay, I'm going to take the rest of the day off. We both need to cool down, and yes, I actually have work to do. Toodles!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Aw, you didn't follow my number format. I'll try again. *********r number format, you don't dictate to me.

1. YOUR STATE didn't embrace change by going Republican in the 2008 election, which supported failed policies of the past. Nice Try, Jocko.
Yeah, just like your State RUINED the election in 2004. Just so you know, the urban core counties of Atlanta voted overwhelmingly for Obama. My County was 79% for Obama, what was Montgomery Counties number?

2. I could find about a million articles supporting my claim, but I'll just tell you instead and let you have fun going article-hunting: The building used to house the new NCR would have been renovated by the city of Duluth, Georgia, with millions in stimulus money as part of the "package" to support economic growth and development in a region that is a far cry from needing it. Not exactly what I call "fair". This is absolute, pure BS. You have proven nothing. The building that will house the new HQ's is ALREADY being used by NCR. They have subleased space to other tenants that they are now taking back to accomodate the new people coming in.

3. You should be a donor state, because you have been stealing jobs unfairly from our region for the past 25 years now. Time to pay it back, and yes, we appreciate it.
Thank you. You aren't welcome. Companies move here for a reason, number one being the best air-connectivity in the Country. Nobody is holding a gun to these collective companies heads, by the way.

4. Another Ohio ex-pat. Great, I'm guessing from your attitude taht we were better off without you. Time to move on. Yeah, considering that I was all of 8 years old, you're probably right.

5. IMO Atlanta=Detroit. 'Nuff said.
Racist much? This is becoming code around here more and more. It's offensive.

Okay, I'm going to take the rest of the day off. We both need to cool down, and yes, I actually have work to do. Toodles!!!!!!!!!!
What? You mean there are still jobs up there?

Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
"What's so great about the sunbelt?"

Probably the sun...

Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,974 times
Quote:
Why don't you just come out and say that you HOPE the Sunbelt will see a steady demise? You know you want to.
Like I said, some people have their fingers crossed. That's really disturbing.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Like I said, some people have their fingers crossed. That's really disturbing.
Actually, it's pretty sickening. The entire country is in a recession and some people truly WANT places to fail.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Actually, it's pretty sickening. The entire country is in a recession and some people truly WANT places to fail.
Poor you, you sunbelters have been hoping for the Norths demise for ages. Now you are getting a little taste of your own medicine. But you will have to get used to it because some states in the South are now falling badly, all you have to do is look at the disaster of states like Florida to see whats happening in the South.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Poor you, you sunbelters have been hoping for the Norths demise for ages. Now you are getting a little taste of your own medicine. But you will have to get used to it because some states in the South are now falling badly, all you have to do is look at the disaster of states like Florida to see whats happening in the South.
This post comes across as nothing but pure hatred for entire REGIONS of your own damn Country. It's sick, and it is a perfect example of why we have become so polarized.

If all of your South-bashing is to be taken at face value, you actually want things to be even MORE polarized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City