Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
There are many places with populations similar to Palm Coast that are not considered cities. The township of Cherry Hill New Jersey has a population of 70,000 and is not considered a city, nor should it be.
The population of a place does not determine whether it is a city or not.

The population of a township in NJ in no way determines what other areas deem a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
damnn. do you have nothing better to do then waste cyberspace with your unnecessary remarks?
I don't believe he has anything better to do even though he always brings up how much more there is to do up north.
So much to do that he makes sure he spends all his time on the computer telling people about it.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
QCP

185 posts, read 523,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
You know guys, this thread has really gotten ugly. And really for no reason. People are entitled to their opinions and preferences. If we all liked the same things then life would be extremely boring. But why is it necessary to insult each other's homes, just because it's not the place for us? If we like our home, then it is human nature to get defensive and sometimes offensive, when someone attacks the place we have chosen to call home.

Anyways, in an attempt to try to get this thread back on track....

I grew up in the rust belt, between Cincy and Dayton. I loved my home, didn't mind the weather, never thought about leaving. Then one day, just on a whim, I thought let's try something new.

Much like many of you that are constantly bashing the South, I too had a general perception of what life would offer in the southern half of the country - and it was't good. Moving south was never an interest of mine. Then, for some reason, I thought I'd give Charlotte a try. I figured, I'll live there 2 years or so, then move back. But as time went on, my preferences started to change. All of a sudden, the gray skies back home started to annoy me, the harsher winters became a pain in the butt, and the struggling economies and somewhat depressed (mostly because of the closing industries) population started to wear on me. The longer I was away, the less I thought about ever going back.

Now 11 years later, I find my sunbelt city of Charlotte, NC, to be the place I want to spend the rest of my life. If I were to relocate, I'd prefer to stay South, although, there are several northern cities in which I could live happily. But my new personal preferences in life, lead me south.

So why is the sunbelt so great? For many it's a fresh start - something new. For others it's a prospering economy or the chance to be part of the evolution of a new city. Some of us like the warmer weather, the feeling of the sun on our skin more days than not. Some of us like the extra months that we get to be outdoors without bundling up. Maybe it's the proximity to the ocean, or the desert or a mountain range. Maybe some don't like the way the cold or the moisture effects the joints of their body. Some like being introduced to a new culture and way of life.....

I could go on and on, but bottom line, people have personal preferences in life. And given the freedom of choice, they will choose to go to the place that will meet their desires the best. For many, that place is the sunbelt.
Great post! I couldn't agree more.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:47 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default To me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
My dog can tell the difference between June and January in Florida.
June is just like January. January is NOT COLD in Florida. January LOOKS just like June in January. Does your dog know how to read a calendar? That is the only way to distinguish the two in Florida.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-10-2009 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: l

Old 07-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Maybe some people LIKE wearing clothes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
What precisely is wrong with this?

I could quite easily turn this the other way and ask why people in the Midwest would want to be stuck in that godawfully uncomfortable winter gear for so much of the year - are they trying to cover up the fat rolls from all of that Cinci chili and Chicago deep dish pizza??
You don't have to be fat either. When I was 22 and lived in Florida the first time, I wore jeans and tshirts. I weighed about 100 lbs. I hate shorts. I stopped wearing shorts and tank tops when I was about 12. I don't like the sun on my skin so I have to cover up. It's very hot so I stay in AC as much as I can.

I like wearing jeans, sweats, heavy sweaters, down, etc. That is hardly Sunbelt wardrobe.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:03 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You don't have to be fat either. When I was 22 and lived in Florida the first time, I wore jeans and tshirts. I weighed about 100 lbs. I hate shorts. I stopped wearing shorts and tank tops when I was about 12. I don't like the sun on my skin so I have to cover up. It's very hot so I stay in AC as much as I can.

I like wearing jeans, sweats, heavy sweaters, down, etc. That is hardly Sunbelt wardrobe.
You are so uninformed. The Sunbelt reaches from coast to coast. We get the Winter season just like the North does (although not to the same degree).

Old 07-10-2009, 10:25 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
June is just like January. January is NOT COLD in Florida. January LOOKS just like June in January. Does your dog know how to read a calendar? That is the only way to distinguish the two in Florida.
You're wrong, January LOOKS and FEELS different than June in FL. Stop fooling yourslef

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-10-2009 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: not necessary

Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 AM

157 posts, read 397,918 times
Quote:

Pardon my bluntness...but why in the hell are you in Florida?

And no, I don't want to hear the typical excuses of "oh, it's only because of work/money!" or "oh, but if only I could sell my house!".

I hear those quite frequently from people who flee their precious winter wonderlands, move halfway across the country to live here, and then decide that they've terribly screwed up. It says more about their intelligence than anything . This would be the same as me moving back to Michigan and then proceeding to bash Michiganders about their state because I couldn't wear shorts in January. Nobody would feel sorry for me. Consequently, I don't feel sorry for people who are miserable in Florida, when they have the liberty to move elsewhere and so many more people would give anything to live here. People with *any* common sense at all know that life is far too short to live in places where you're miserable. And that's why I left Michigan and Pennsylvania long ago and have not looked back. If wearing a winter coat was of the utmost importance to me...I would never have moved to California from Pennsylvania, and I sure as hell would not have moved to Florida.

Any tourist with the intelligence of a fourth-grader who spends just one week in Florida during the summer gets a good idea of what it is like here. When I moved to Florida in 1989, I moved cross-country from California. I did my research and acted logically and with just a *bit* of common sense. As a result, I'm still living here and I love it.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
A 25-30 degree difference is definitely discernible as are the different colors of the trees.

You do not need to read a calender to figure it out.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:12 PM

Default The trees don't change colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
A 25-30 degree difference is definitely discernible as are the different colors of the trees.

You do not need to read a calender to figure it out.
in Naples. 70s/80s daytime versus 80s/90s. Don't even try to compare 25 miles from the Everglades to other places in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City