Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer??
New York style hotdog 63 37.50%
Chicago style hotdog 105 62.50%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times

Advertisements

Pizza is too close to call, but I think Chicago-style hot dog ranks supreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 09:26 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Hrrm... pretty sure I had that in Vegas... sounds familiar.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
I'll definitely give Pink's props for their Chili dogs; though is there such a thing as a "Los Angeles" style hot dog? I just know of Pinks as a damn good hot dog stand.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
I'll definitely give Pink's props for their Chili dogs; though is there such a thing as a "Los Angeles" style hot dog? I just know of Pinks as a damn good hot dog stand.
I heard Portillo's opened a joint in LA. Portillo's makes an excellent dog, Vienna with the casing, lots of "pop". Pretty good Italian beef and sausage too. And their chocolate cake is first rate.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yes I have, I have thad Sabretts, Jersey Hot dogs, etc.. But no hot dogs can be compared to NY Hot dogs.
The guy was saying that you haven't experienced anything better than a NY hot dog. He is not saying you've never had hot dogs from elsewhere or in another style. What he is implying is that your personal experience with hot dogs overall might be quite limited.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:15 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The guy was saying that you haven't experienced anything better than a NY hot dog. He is not saying you've never had hot dogs from elsewhere or in another style. What he is implying is that your personal experience with hot dogs overall might be quite limited.
My experience is not limited because I have had New Jersey Hot dogs and Hot dogs in Maryland too. So it is not limited.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:10 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I heard Portillo's opened a joint in LA. Portillo's makes an excellent dog, Vienna with the casing, lots of "pop". Pretty good Italian beef and sausage too. And their chocolate cake is first rate.
Mmmm....Chocolate Cake Shake

Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
My experience is not limited because I have had New Jersey Hot dogs and Hot dogs in Maryland too. So it is not limited.
That is likely very limited compared to IrishTom as it's also very limited in comparison to me. Besides, I wasn't originally saying you had limited experience, I was trying to make the guy's post understandable for you.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
I was really impressed with the Chicago-style dog. It was such a treat. Definitely better than a NYC hot dog, which honestly is not that special. I'm not sure why NYC got a reputation for hot dogs ... is it just because there are so many street vendors??

Anyway, pbergen hit the nail on the head with the North Jersey Hot Dog lesson. Rutt's Hut is amazing. It's in sort of a crappy area though.

The coolest thing about NJ is that there are certain foods that you really cannot get outside of NJ. Taylor ham-egg-cheese sandwich is one, and the Italian Hot Dog is another.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I was really impressed with the Chicago-style dog. It was such a treat. Definitely better than a NYC hot dog, which honestly is not that special. I'm not sure why NYC got a reputation for hot dogs ... is it just because there are so many street vendors??

Anyway, pbergen hit the nail on the head with the North Jersey Hot Dog lesson. Rutt's Hut is amazing. It's in sort of a crappy area though.

The coolest thing about NJ is that there are certain foods that you really cannot get outside of NJ. Taylor ham-egg-cheese sandwich is one, and the Italian Hot Dog is another.
Rutts beats any hot dog place in NYC; the fried dog, homemade non-typical relish and mustard is a perfect combo. I agree the setting is drab, but easily forgivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City