Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 03:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I'm not arguing that NYC isn't a fashion capital, but are you implying people must spend thousands and thousands of dollars on designer clothes to look good?
Exactly. Hell you could go to Dillard's, Macy's, H&M and more and look upscale and sophisticated without paying an army and a leg. We're arguing over upscale stores when the majority of us don't even shop at them. You don't have to go to expensive stores to look good.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:23 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default You forget something

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
We all agree on 2 things

1) We all agree that MANHATTAN has great shopping and well dressed (generally) people

2) We all agree that Long Island is hick and people do not know how to dress there

Stop being such a hater on places you have never visited
The majority of people who live on LI have their roots (themselves or their parents) in NYC. You don't develop amnesia of where you came from.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The majority of people who live on LI have their roots (themselves or their parents) in NYC. You don't develop amnesia of where you came from.
Lots of people in NYC have southern roots so what does that tell you???

Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM

65 posts, read 97,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
California (LA) and Manhattan (not the rest of NYC) are the best dressed. LI and the boroughs are not well dressed ... no one else thinks so either but you are the 3 extreme NY'ers
EVERY city has its fashionable upscale side. LA is not Beverly Hills. Do you think people in Northern, Eastern, or Southern LA dress fashionable? AHHAHAHAHAHAHAH Ya, the San Fernando Valley is crawling with fashion.

The boroughs are to NYC what everyplace apart from West LA is to Los Angeles. Not to say there arent some fashionable places out of Manhattan or Beverly Hills. Brooklyn is very fashionable in places like Williamsburg and the entire wealthy Northern Brooklyn (Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, etc) just like you can find fashion in Silverlake and Hollywood Hills.

Fashion in LA is on the Westside just like fashion in NYC is mostly in Manhattan and fashion in Houston is probably a few pockets uptown.glgl

Old 12-29-2009, 03:25 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Pradas people been wearing Prada around here since 2004 and 2005 there outdated now I dont hardly ever see prada sneakers.and you have to take in account some people dont know how to let certain trends go too. The only way I know someone is from NYC is not by how they dressed but by there swag and there accent... You can disagree man but its what I see everytime I come to NYC nothing different. Yes Flagships are good because they carry more exclusive but trust people are hitting sales racks in the Saks too... I been working in retail All my life I do visuals for Nordstroms at Phipps plaza I know trends I know all about grade levels of stores I know how shipments go etc... No one can convince me that everybody in NYC knows How to dress because they Dont, I will say it over and over... There are parts of NYC where you will see lots of Fashions and there are places they you wont see lots of fashion... NYC is not known to be a fashion capital because people know how to dress. Read your Definition on what a fashion capital is.....
Ya right. Dudes were wearing Girbauds down south in 2004,05. Ya wasnt thinking of pradas before new york was on them. Come on your trying to rewrite history. In manhattan 80% of people are fresh. Its not that serious in atlanta. Atlantans werent even on gucci and designer clothes like new york was/is either. The south stepped its game up, like i said. But you can still tell new yorkers apart. Im not saying everyone is well dressed. But the sheer amount that are is impressive. In manhattan u have the upscale,hipster etc. In the bronx and brooklyn you have the urban fashion, that was created there

Dressing is apart of the fabric of the city. I saw an old mexican lady, who looked to be in her forties, with a northface and airmax 95s on.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:26 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Instead of a $12,000 Gucci Mongolian-fur lined leather bomber jacket they'll order for the New York City market, they'll stock some ghetto incredibly tacky low-end Gucci monogrammed windbreaker in cities like Houston.
Could it possibly be that no one in Houston would have a need for a Mongolian-fur line leather bomber jacket when it barely gets below 40 degrees there on their coldest day in winter?

I would doubt the sanity (both economic and physiological) of anyone who purchased such a jacket for use in Houston.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:27 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
So it comes down to 3 things we all (but 3) agree on

1) every major city has all these high end stores that NY does

2) NY'ers generally the feel the need to constantly show off clothes because of some inferiority complex

and

3) The NY'ers on this thread have traveled very little

So the real name of this thread should be " what city has the most residents that choose to show off high end clothing"

Old 12-29-2009, 03:28 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Dillard's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly. Hell you could go to Dillard's, Macy's, H&M and more and look upscale and sophisticated without paying an army and a leg. We're arguing over upscale stores when the majority of us don't even shop at them. You don't have to go to expensive stores to look good.
is on par with Macy's but not even Bloomies. My daughter has worked for both Bloomies and Macy's. Macy's is the "little sister".

Old 12-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
is on par with Macy's but not even Bloomies. My daughter has worked for both Bloomies and Macy's. Macy's is the "little sister".
It has nothing to do with being on par with each other; it's the fact that you don't have to shop expensive to look good.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
NYC because guido fashion is in right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City