Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM

269 posts, read 469,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You're basing this on a picture on my profile when I was 12??? lol. All my clothes in most of those pictures are from the 1940s, so yes, they are before 1991 as a matter of fact. Also, I don't think anyone would wear like a $100+ shirt when playing hockey or at the shooting range.
Thanks for giving me a reason to report you
You were playing hockey in your bedroom?

You're welcome

Oh...and I'm still waiting patiently for you to tell me what game you went to in Houston.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie28 View Post
You were playing hockey in your bedroom?

You're welcome

Oh...and I'm still waiting patiently for you to tell me what game you went to in Houston.

I was about to leave for hockey, thank you very much. I wouldn't wear my work clothes or my good jackets to hockey or the shooting range

It was the game against the Marlins; just a couple weeks I got back from my honeymoon. If you're truly interested in it, pm me and ask me about it instead of making me go off topic.

So back to topic....

NY owns the country when it comes to fashion and shopping

Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM

353 posts, read 816,628 times
^^Top 25 New York Shopping Destinations - New York City Visitors Guide - Tourism

well it's to bad it doesn't have the best looking girls or guys...

Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Its not just about the availibilty of stores. Flagship stores exist in nyc, its a difference. Saks fifth ave in atlanta is a novelty. Something to rack up cash. They probably have a saks fifth in every major city.

And i disagree with atlantans catching up per se. Ya stepped ya game up. But you can still tell a new yorker apart. I go to school in the south. Ya just caught up to wearing pradas,mauris etc

Pradas people been wearing Prada around here since 2004 and 2005 there outdated now I dont hardly ever see prada sneakers.and you have to take in account some people dont know how to let certain trends go too. The only way I know someone is from NYC is not by how they dressed but by there swag and there accent... You can disagree man but its what I see everytime I come to NYC nothing different. Yes Flagships are good because they carry more exclusive but trust people are hitting sales racks in the Saks too... I been working in retail All my life I do visuals for Nordstroms at Phipps plaza I know trends I know all about grade levels of stores I know how shipments go etc... No one can convince me that everybody in NYC knows How to dress because they Dont, I will say it over and over... There are parts of NYC where you will see lots of Fashions and there are places they you wont see lots of fashion... NYC is not known to be a fashion capital because people know how to dress. Read your Definition on what a fashion capital is.....

Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 PM

141 posts, read 196,257 times
OK; after picking myself up from laughter that some of you think Houston and Atlanta have shopping and fashion on the same caliber as New York City, I'd like to clear up a few things.

Yes - Houston, Dallas, hell, I'm sure even Phoenix has a Saks Fifth Avenue.

Here's how it works - stores like Saks Fifth Avenue have buyers that represent each market. These buyers go to showrooms, fashion week (New York, Paris, Milan) and select things to stock in each region.

To put it bluntly; Atlanta and Houston aren't fashionable cities, so the buyers from Saks Fifth Avenue Houston or Atlanta go into designer showrooms in New York and stock the cheapest most conservative things they know will sell in Atlanta. The buyers for New York are in New York, Milan and Paris Fashion week selecting the finest for New York.

Instead of a $12,000 Gucci Mongolian-fur lined leather bomber jacket they'll order for the New York City market, they'll stock some ghetto incredibly tacky low-end Gucci monogrammed windbreaker in cities like Houston. Instead of a high end Versace dress for women, they'll sock a much conservative much cheaper alternative. Instead of the $8,000 Burberry Prorsum wool trench, they'll order for the New York City market, they'll stock a low-rent lower-end Burberry and an ugly t-shirt so buyers in these low-rent markets can flash their Saks Fifth Avenue shopping bags with some cheap $100 ugly t-shirt and think they're "fashionable". Those aspirational buyers will feel all good and walk around like "Look at me, I'm shopping at Saks!"

Why? Because the fashionable high-end stuff will sell in a sophisticated market like New York, but it will not sell in aspirational market like Houston.

There is a reason Saks Fifth Avenue in Houston/Atlanta carry don't carry Gareth Pugh? No. Lanvin? No. Alaia? No. Rick Owens? No. Dior Homme? No. Balenciaga? No. Balmain? No. They only stock these items in the New York City locations and Beverly Hills.

Call your Saks in Atlanta/Houston and ask, "Do you carry Gareth Pugh"? They'll scratch their heads in bewilderment because they won't even know what it is.

Why, you ask? Those brands are far too upmarket for a downmarket city like Houston, while people in New York have the funds, the taste and the fashion-forwardness to splurge on these desinger purchases. Now you know why all the worldwide high end stores have flagships and showrooms in New York. Have you ever been into the four-story Gucci in New York City? Compare it with that tiny dingy location Houston Galleria Location which stocks the most laughable downmarket Gucci crap. There are five or six Prada Boutiques on the island of Manhattan. Not even one in the entire Houston. The New York market is by far the most profitable market when it comes to luxury and fashion merchandise.

For example, Giorgio Armani 5th Avenue New York:

Compare that to that dingy tiny hovel Giorgio Armani Houston Galleria. Even the designer stores in Los Angeles are lacking, unappealing and are nowhere as good as the ones in NY.

Not to mention New York City has boutiques that are exclusive to the United States - Jean Paul Gaultier, Tom Ford, Martin Margiela, Givenchy, Yohji Yamamoto, Kiton, Comme Des Garcons, Dior Homme (only one other in Beverly Hills), Zac Posen, etc etc. You will only find those in Paris, London and Milan.

New York is the mecca.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM

269 posts, read 469,035 times
Quote:
I was about to leave for hockey, thank you very much. I wouldn't wear my work clothes or my good jackets to hockey or the shooting range

It was the game against the Marlins; just a couple weeks I got back from my honeymoon. If you're truly interested in it, pm me and ask me about it instead of making me go off topic.

So back to topic....

NY owns the country when it comes to fashion and shopping
Uh huh.

Sure, NY definitely owns the country in shopping. I prefer to shop in Europe though. London, Paris, Brussels, Milan all within a few hours reach. The Negen Straatjes and PC Hooftstraat literally at my doorstep. NOTHING beats that

No city "owns" with fashion. There's an abundance of slobs in every city.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,229 times
Quote:
I know, I think most are in California and New York--the 2 best dressed places in the country

California (LA) and Manhattan (not the rest of NYC) are the best dressed. LI and the boroughs are not well dressed ... no one else thinks so either but you are the 3 extreme NY'ers

Old 12-29-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Even this site says that no area of the world has the upscale shopping that Soho has

SoHo NYC - Boutiques

...and those are just boutiques. I'm guessing you haters never even walked through Soho.

We all agree on 2 things

1) We all agree that MANHATTAN has great shopping and well dressed (generally) people

2) We all agree that Long Island is hick and people do not know how to dress there

Stop being such a hater on places you have never visited

Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
OK; after picking myself up from laughter that some of you think Houston and Atlanta have shopping and fashion on the same caliber as New York City, I'd like to clear up a few things.

Yes - Houston, Dallas, hell, I'm sure even Phoenix has a Saks Fifth Avenue.

Here's how it works - stores like Saks Fifth Avenue have buyers that represent each market. These buyers go to showrooms, fashion week (New York, Paris, Milan) and select things to stock in each region.

To put it bluntly; Atlanta and Houston aren't fashionable cities, so the buyers from Saks Fifth Avenue Houston or Atlanta go into designer showrooms in New York and stock the cheapest most conservative things they know will sell in Atlanta. The buyers for New York are in New York, Milan and Paris Fashion week selecting the finest for New York.

Instead of a $12,000 Gucci Mongolian-fur lined leather bomber jacket they'll order for the New York City market, they'll stock some ghetto incredibly tacky low-end Gucci monogrammed windbreaker in cities like Houston. Instead of a high end Versace dress for women, they'll sock a much conservative much cheaper alternative. Instead of the $8,000 Burberry Prorsum wool trench, they'll order for the New York City market, they'll stock a low-rent lower-end Burberry and an ugly t-shirt so buyers in these low-rent markets can flash their Saks Fifth Avenue shopping bags with some cheap $100 ugly t-shirt and think they're "fashionable". Those aspirational buyers will feel all good and walk around like "Look at me, I'm shopping at Saks!"

Why? Because the fashionable high-end stuff will sell in a sophisticated market like New York, but it will not sell in aspirational market like Houston.

There is a reason Saks Fifth Avenue in Houston/Atlanta carry don't carry Gareth Pugh? No. Lanvin? No. Alaia? No. Rick Owens? No. Dior Homme? No. Balenciaga? No. Balmain? No. They only stock these items in the New York City locations and Beverly Hills.

Call your Saks in Atlanta/Houston and ask, "Do you carry Gareth Pugh"? They'll scratch their heads in bewilderment because they won't even know what it is.

Why, you ask? Those brands are far too upmarket for a downmarket city like Houston, while people in New York have the funds, the taste and the fashion-forwardness to splurge on these desinger purchases. Now you know why all the worldwide high end stores have flagships and showrooms in New York. Have you ever been into the four-story Gucci in New York City? Compare it with that tiny dingy location Houston Galleria Location which stocks the most laughable downmarket Gucci crap. There are five or six Prada Boutiques on the island of Manhattan. Not even one in the entire Houston. The New York market is by far the most profitable market when it comes to luxury and fashion merchandise.

For example, Giorgio Armani 5th Avenue New York:

Compare that to that dingy tiny hovel Giorgio Armani Houston Galleria. Even the designer stores in Los Angeles are lacking, unappealing and are nowhere as good as the ones in NY.

Not to mention New York City has boutiques that are exclusive to the United States - Jean Paul Gaultier, Tom Ford, Martin Margiela, Givenchy, Yohji Yamamoto, Kiton, Comme Des Garcons, Dior Homme (only one other in Beverly Hills), Zac Posen, etc etc. You will only find those in Paris, London and Milan.

New York is the mecca.
I'm not arguing that NYC isn't a fashion capital, but are you implying people must spend thousands and thousands of dollars on designer clothes to look good?

Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
There must be a difference, because almost all NYers can tell who's a tourist and who's a native based on how they're dressed.

They have the stylish fanny pack, silly looking hat, shorts down to their knees, socks rolled high up, etc. I wouldn't be caught dead dressing like that. No NYer dresses like that, lol.

I don't think you even live in NY after comments like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City