Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:14 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Honestly John, a person living in Charlotte today could say the same thing about Columbus if they ever had to move there. Especially if that person lived 30 floors up in Charlotte and walked to his/her office uptown (as well as NBA and NFL games).

With that said, just say that you prefer Columbus over Charlotte because it is YOUR home and leave it at that. The urban argument would be a strong one if we were talking about Baltimore vs Charlotte. But Columbus vs Charlotte? Child please!!! Outside of downtown and High Street, Columbus is an overgrown truck stop just like Charlotte. Let's keep it real my dude. This is a "Truthful Journey" thread, is it not?
Let's keep it real my dude? lol. Columbus has far more traditional urban neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
IMHO...over time..I'd say Columbus...I think Charlotte has had it's "heyday".
What makes you say that? Because we're in the middle of a recession and Charlotte got hit a little harder than other cities because of our large banking industry? That hardly means our "heyday" is over.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Columbus gets my vote. Easy choice for me.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
It was a truly beautiful day in Columbus ... Spring is most definitely in the air!
I've been observing the ongoing construction of the brand new "Columbus Commons" park in the city centre. There is much anticipation and media coverage of this project ... and of many others across this city.
It's great to be "home" in Columbus!

Here's a link to a video that pertains to a community wide "visioning project" for the city.
It pertains to Columbus and the progress we will have made by the year 2015.
Enjoy -

YouTube - Central Ohio 2015: A Community Visioning Project By WBNS-10TV
Attached Thumbnails
Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2043.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2047.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2048.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2050.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2051.jpg  

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 03-20-2010 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: x

Old 03-20-2010, 09:59 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
^Speaking of great news, the NASCAR Hall of Fame is on its 50 day push until grand opening. This will be a spark in the tourist industry for Charlotte. We just opened up most of the facilities in the Wells-Fargo (Wachovia really) cultural campus. Despite the recession, there is still quite a bit of construction going on uptown as well as in several sub-divisions in housing.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Default Spring In Columbus ... Day 2

Day number two of SPRING has been so incredibly beautiful, I couldn't resist another visit to the promenade area @ North Bank Commons Park, along the tranquil and scenic banks of the Scioto River. Here are more views the enchanting river front commons area that is a popular destination for city centre office workers and adjacent residents.
"Columbus still amazes me for a wide variety of reasons" ... It's such a vibrant and energetic city, that also maintains a remarkable degree of cleanliness that is not often found in most other large cities.
It's truly a beautiful city and is still vastly underrated by those who are still not familar with the many assets retained here.
Attached Thumbnails
Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2079.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2080.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2085.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2086.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2089.jpg  

Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2087.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2088.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2095.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-img_2090.jpg  

Old 03-23-2010, 08:52 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
Quote:
IMHO...over time..I'd say Columbus...I think Charlotte has had it's "heyday".
Inappropriate comment removed by moderator . NOT EVERYONE, BTW. I've worked extensively in Columbus over the past few years, and have lived in Charlotte for 5 years, and from what I have seen and experienced, there is no comparison other than population. It would be dishonest to claim otherwise. Sure, Columbus is rich in history, culture, etc., but Charlotte is quickly progressing ahead of Columbus in many areas (business, culture, airport, etc). It is laughable to think that Charlotte's "hey day" is over. It is even funnier that this thread has lasted 19 pages. Columbus is great in it's own ways, but Charlotte will ultimately leave Columbus in it's dust. Let's face it, Charlotte, as is true in many Southern metros, is new school. Columbus, well.......

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 03-23-2010 at 09:56 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 AM

249 posts, read 609,385 times
Charlotte's Job economy isn't anywhere near as diverse as COlumbus. I know many people in Charlotte who are having a difficult time finding work because of the heavily dominated finacial industry. Charlotte does have better weather and maybe more of a household name due to its professional sports presence. However as a whole Columbus is much stronger.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 PM

How unfortunate that people are uncomfortable with the truth concerning the viable simalarities that "do" exist between Columbus and Charlotte ... and the simalarities do not only pertain to population figures.
"PeytonC", is entitled to his skewed opinions, no matter how inconsistent with the facts they may be.
Columbus will "NOT" be left in Charlottes dust, this I am certain about. There is more progress and prosperity occuring in Columbus than many outside this region are ultimately aware of.
This has been and will continue to be a viable and a spirited comparison of two cities that share much in common.
"PeytonC" was very much on the mark regarding Columbus' advantage with cultural offerings and historical significance ...
Columbus is also a much more traditional city due to it's age ... many more traditional and well established residential areas, excellent infrastructure ... and being the capital city certainly has not hurt this cities abilities to expand and attract more prosperity. I lived in Charlotte, it's a lovely city ... but it definitely has some "catching up to Columbus" to accomplish in many regards.

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 03-24-2010 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: x

Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
How unfortunate that people are uncomfortable with the truth concerning the viable simalarities that "do" exist between Columbus and Charlotte ... and the simalarities do not only pertain to population figures.
"PeytonC", is entitled to his skewed opinions, no matter how inconsistent with the facts they may be.
Columbus will "NOT" be left in Charlottes dust, this I am certain about. There is more progress and prosperity occuring in Columbus than many outside this region are ultimately aware of.
This has been and will continue to be a viable and a spirited comparison of two cities that share much in common.
"PeytonC" was very much on the mark regarding Columbus' advantage with cultural offerings and historical significance ...
Columbus is also a much more traditional city due to it's age ... many more traditional and well established residential areas, excellent infrastructure ... and being the capital city certainly has not hurt this cities abilities to expand and attract more prosperity. I lived in Charlotte, it's a lovely city ... but it definitely has some "catching up to Columbus" to accomplish in many regards.
What catching up does Charlotte need to do with Columbus? It's GDP is higher, as well as per capita income I believe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City