Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 11:48 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

With Chinatown being just outside the boundaries of downtown LA, you would include Midtown for downtown Houston, as well as perhaps EaDo and also West Lake for LA.

Regardless of how you picture it, Los Angeles would be an easy win, but this would boost Houston's nightlife since its the topic of the thread and Midtown is one of Houston's premier nightlife districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 11:52 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times
I think there is a big gap between the two personally but it's more about DT Houston being particularly lacking and LA simply being a bigger and more urban city than it is about DTLA being particularly amazing. LA is still a big underachiever when it comes to downtown, not unlike Houston. Obviously the LA area has a ton of amazing areas outside of its downtown! I easily rank LA number one in the "metro that's the best minus the core city" thread that was around.

Houston has some cool neighborhoods in the loop but the downtown doesn't do anything for me. It's 90% office buildings and parking garages. I have been to DTLA more recently than Houston, so maybe I'm out of date on the latter. I used to frequently visit Houston for work a decade ago but not much brings me there these days.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:04 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I think there is a big gap between the two personally but it's more about DT Houston being particularly lacking and LA simply being a bigger and more urban city than it is about DTLA being particularly amazing. LA is still a big underachiever when it comes to downtown, not unlike Houston. Obviously the LA area has a ton of amazing areas outside of its downtown! I easily rank LA number one in the "metro that's the best minus the core city" thread that was around.

Houston has some cool neighborhoods in the loop but the downtown doesn't do anything for me. It's 90% office buildings and parking garages. I have been to DTLA more recently than Houston, so maybe I'm out of date on the latter. I used to frequently visit Houston for work a decade ago but not much brings me there these days.
This is a fair point. Its not like anyone is saying Downtown Houston is better than DTLA, were just discussing the gap.

Sometimes there is a bias for bigger and more urban cities on this forum but if were limiting it to just downtown areas, its important to remember that. For example, I would take Downtown Greenville, SC over DTLA or Downtown Houston every single day of the week. The number or restaurants, bars, walkability, and incorporation with nature in combo is exceptional there for it size. But of course Greenville doesnt have near the things to do LA or Houston do, but their downtown is better (albeit much smaller) IMO.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
How has covid effected DTLA?
The central business/financial district is pretty slow in the daytime. Events at LA Live are just starting to come back. Lots of restaurants closed, a few opened. Residential neighborhoods busier weekdays with so many working from home.

Overall it seems somewhat normal outside of the office areas and will be completely normal (outside the office areas) once LA Live/crypto is normal.

Old 02-14-2022, 01:15 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
With Chinatown being just outside the boundaries of downtown LA, you would include Midtown for downtown Houston, as well as perhaps EaDo and also West Lake for LA.

Regardless of how you picture it, Los Angeles would be an easy win, but this would boost Houston's nightlife since its the topic of the thread and Midtown is one of Houston's premier nightlife districts.
That makes sense to me. "Downtown Houston" appears to be a single neighborhood while "DTLA" is a conglomeration of multiple neighborhoods that include: the Financial District, Historic Core, South Park, Little Tokyo, Arts District, Fashion District etc. To me it makes complete sense to include the neighborhoods surrounding DTH that serve the same function as the neighborhoods surrounding DTLA's financial district.

Chinatown is a little borderline, but it is one of the downtown business improvement districts and is considered downtown for city planning purposes (DTLA 2040). I'd consider the eastern half of Westlake to be part of DTLA, but unlike Chinatown they aren't part of the downtown business improvement district, nor is it considered "downtown" for city planning regulations. The people that live there certainly say that they live downtown and they call it "city west".

Old 02-14-2022, 01:58 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Something's wrong with you lol. Literally no one ever thinks Houston's nightlife is better LA's (you're the only one who even brought this up). And you're the only one being defensive here. The post said LA's downtown eclipses NOLA's and Miami's and I said it's not. I know youre an LA guy and this probably hurts your feelings, but that was my response to that post and for a good reason. Scrolling up, its not an unpopular opinion by any means.

I know you're trying to defend your city and your state, but those 2 are clearly ahead of LA (especially when you single out downtown.
No feelings hurt. Just trying to point things out. I know you're a big Houston guy but I wouldn't describe myself as a big LA guy and to me LA, like Miami, NYC, SF, DC, maybe Chicago, doesn't have to be defended. They're it cities and will be for a while, imo.

But, I want to be clear. There's two posts, I think you're referring to "dtfygui's" post and his post, below doesn't say anything about LA being ahead of Miami, NOLA, Austin or Nashville. He grouped those cities ahead of Houston. The only other post you could be referring to is "urbanquests" and he is just saying the listed cities are ahead of Houston. He doesn't say LA is tops. So, again, sorry man. But, just friendly advice, don't let what people say about your hometown bother you. If you love Houston, great. What does it matter if someone says LA or Miami is more lively? Shouldn't change your day and don't let it ruin your day my man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
downtown LA and its not close. Miami too. New Orleans. Austin. Nashville. Houston's not even top 10 lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Yeah, Houston’s downtown/core isn’t even top 5 in the sunbelt. LA, Vegas, Miami, NO and San Diego easily eclipse it.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:08 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No feelings hurt. Just trying to point things out. I know you're a big Houston guy but I wouldn't describe myself as a big LA guy and to me LA, like Miami, NYC, SF, DC, maybe Chicago, doesn't have to be defended. They're it cities and will be for a while, imo.

But, I want to be clear. There's two posts, I think you're referring to "dtfygui's" post and his post, below doesn't say anything about LA being ahead of Miami, NOLA, Austin or Nashville. He grouped those cities ahead of Houston. The only other post you could be referring to is "urbanquests" and he is just saying the listed cities are ahead of Houston. He doesn't say LA is tops. So, again, sorry man. But, just friendly advice, don't let what people say about your hometown bother you. If you love Houston, great. What does it matter if someone says LA or Miami is more lively? Shouldn't change your day and don't let it ruin your day my man.
You’re the only one who I’ve seen get emotional this nice thread. Keep going though. I would say that you getting triggered at the same time that everyone here is undermining downtown LA is a coincidence but I know better. For the record Im in OC pretty often and I used to live in Miami. I know very well the difference between nightlife between these three places. I think just simply lost it because everyone is undermining downtown LA.

You give good advice but you’re bad at receiving I guess. “Just friendly advice, don't let what people say about your hometown bother you. If you love LA, great. What does it matter if someone says LA or Miami is more lively? Shouldn't change your day and don't let it ruin your day my man. ”. You really should consider listening to yourself. Sure the Texans on city data that act like California is going through an apocalypse over a couple board members switching states csn be pretty annoying. But the fact someone doesn’t even have to mention Texas for you to turn it into that is hilarious

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 02-14-2022 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-01-2022, 07:38 PM

71 posts, read 45,512 times
New Orleans, Vegas, and Miami has the best nightlife in the sunbelt easily. Behind those 2, Austin and Nashville.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:10 AM

828 posts, read 648,216 times
New Orleans (not a traditional sunbelt city but sort of in the sunbelt) has to win this one easily, although most of it isn't right in the CBD (more in French Quarter & Warehouse District).

Old 03-06-2022, 10:41 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
New Orleans (not a traditional sunbelt city but sort of in the sunbelt) has to win this one easily, although most of it isn't right in the CBD (more in French Quarter & Warehouse District).
I agree. Houston is not comparable. Houston feels more generic in its offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City