Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM

353 posts, read 816,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What can I do in Miami that I can't do here? In my opinion, with the exception of the beach, I can do almost everything that can be done in on South Beach in a more relaxed and more fun atmosphere.

New Orleans is warmer in the summer by 10 and cooler in the winter by 10 on average. That means with the exception of a few lows and highs, the weather is actually close.

I didn't bring it up to compare it to Miami. I brought it up to show that New Orleans is well known internationally. For every foreigner that you run into that isn't familiar with New Orleans, rest assured that there is one somewhere who doesn't recognize Miami. The average foreigner probably thinks of the U.S. as New York, Los Angeles, and Texas.

You just can't wrap this one around can you? LANatives response actually backed up what I said, not your post. Tourist have little effect on intl flights, since the avg. tourist may fill up the plan but not even break even the profit. The airline get there profits from the business travelers and first class passengers who only make up a small portion of the flight. Intl business drives the airlines, not intl tourism. Notice where the majority of MIA's intl flights go. Places with a high immigrant O&D and places with strong business ties to the city, plus the fact that Miami is a hub for American (Ding-Dong... umm connections..).

By New Orleans def. Anything downriver from Canal is Downtown and anything upriver is Uptown. Therefore the Quarter is the beginning of Downtown and the Business District is the beginning of Uptown. Most would consider the CBD as "downtown" so it's w.e.
I disagree the average foreign would bring up to its attention California or Florida as states before Texas and then probably as cities San Fransisco and Miami.

Miami's culture from what I've seen and heard extends much more that of New Orlean's, when Katrina hit the news was constantly centered in New Orleans and the only thing that was shown were blacks, not to sound racist but I was not expecting that... so the wide variety of culture and atmosphere that Miami has cannot be offer in New Orleans or any other United States city for that matter...
New Orleans seems like its a great city do not get me wrong please, however it doesn't appear like it could please everyone like Miami could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:

You just can't wrap this one around can you? LANatives response actually backed up what I said, not your post. Tourist have little effect on intl flights, since the avg. tourist may fill up the plan but not even break even the profit. The airline get there profits from the business travelers and first class passengers who only make up a small portion of the flight. Intl business drives the airlines, not intl tourism. Notice where the majority of MIA's intl flights go. Places with a high immigrant O&D and places with strong business ties to the city, plus the fact that Miami is a hub for American (Ding-Dong... umm connections..).
Though VFR (visiting friends and relatives) traffic is set up to be low yielding, but American does well in Miami to Central and South America and from Dallas to Central America and Mexico because the average paid fares are so high.

Miami is one of Americans "money hubs", the other being DFW. These are the operations that make money. Other operations like Chicago make money on the international flights, but lose money on the domestic flights.

If you look at any airlines most profitable flights, there are typically three things going for them:

1) Strong O&D market
2) Located ideally for some connections
3) Lack of competition

If you look at AA's best preforming flights (for example Miami-Buenos Aires, Miami-London, Dallas-Tokyo, and Dallas-Frankfurt), these are all present.

Given that American has Miami and Dallas all to themselves, it adds up for them. Chicago (while its a bigger market) has a lot of competition which drives fares down.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
What can I do in Miami that I can't do here? In my opinion, with the exception of the beach, I can do almost everything that can be done in on South Beach in a more relaxed and more fun atmosphere.

Well besides for visiting world famous clubs, (if that is your scene) world famous beaches as you said, more variety in food, more variety in shopping and attractions, two national parks then yes besides for that they are simular.

New Orleans is warmer in the summer by 10 and cooler in the winter by 10 on average. That means with the exception of a few lows and highs, the weather is actually close.

Exactly better weather. Warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer.

I didn't bring it up to compare it to Miami. I brought it up to show that New Orleans is well known internationally. For every foreigner that you run into that isn't familiar with New Orleans, rest assured that there is one somewhere who doesn't recognize Miami. The average foreigner probably thinks of the U.S. as New York, Los Angeles, and Texas.
I agree a foreigner will bring up LA or NYC first but then comes DC and Miami. Today I had a bunch of foregners in my home, people from Spain, Austrialia and UK they all knew Miami and things about it. They have friends there, traveled there seen it on movies or tv. This would not be said about New Orleans. Lets also not forget Miami is by some considered the Capital of Latin America. How can someone think New Orleans is as well known as Miami.

Tell that to Air Berlin, Monarch Airlines, Thomas Cook Airlines, Thomson Airways, Corsairfly. These airlines have two class service planes and fly high density flights to places that have low yeilding tourist like Orlando. If there was enough demand they would fly there. There is not New Orleans is a domestic destination.

By New Orleans def. Anything downriver from Canal is Downtown and anything upriver is Uptown. Therefore the Quarter is the beginning of Downtown and the Business District is the beginning of Uptown. Most would consider the CBD as "downtown" so it's w.e.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
I disagree the average foreign would bring up to its attention California or Florida as states before Texas and then probably as cities San Fransisco and Miami.

Miami's culture from what I've seen and heard extends much more that of New Orlean's, when Katrina hit the news was constantly centered in New Orleans and the only thing that was shown were blacks, not to sound racist but I was not expecting that... so the wide variety of culture and atmosphere that Miami has cannot be offer in New Orleans or any other United States city for that matter...
New Orleans seems like its a great city do not get me wrong please, however it doesn't appear like it could please everyone like Miami could.
Ok?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post

Wow, you saw this on T.V. .
The N.O. area has a large South/Central American (Honduran, Guatamalan, Nicaraguan, Brazilian) pop. One of the largest Vietnamese pops., A singnificant Jamaican pop. (a Haitian one too, to an extent), etc.

But yeah, just keep watching T.V.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-18-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The only thing that NOLA lacks in that list, is more access to shopping. What food can I get there, that I can't get here. I had Jamaican for lunch today, West African yesterday. I can get Cuban, Vietnamese, Italian, Creole, Cajun, Haitian, African, Caribbean, Brazilian (gotta love Picahna), Salvadorian, Honduran (Pupusas, yum), Nicoraguan, Dominican.. and I can go on all day.

The weather isn't all that different. It doesn't take much variation to produce a 10 degree difference.

How can someone think that NOLA is not as known as Miami. The # of ppl coming to a place doesn't mean that they don't know it's there.
Let's see:

One of the largest Carnival celebrations behind Rio. (That grabs the world's catholics and hardcore partiers' attention.)
Southeast Asian pop. is large, so the know we're here.
Same with Central America and South America.
The Caribbean has a significant pop. they know we're here.
A good # of tourists travel in from London, France, Canada and even Australia
We're def. on Mexico's radar since Katrina.
The whole world just saw us devastated on T.V. 5 years ago.
How many movies feature Miami? How many feature New Orleans?

Over the last 20 years ago New Orleans has served 30 + intl destinations. What does that tell you?
Somebody knows we're down here.

^You do the math.

You also can't grasp this whole "Airline industry" thing either. It's not about demand, it's about $.

The only difference is that Miami has more going for it internationally in the business world. I love Miami to death, and think that it is one of my fav. cities in the country, but do some research before you go flying off about how it compares to other places. You need to learn your history, before MIA and IAH picked up, MSY was "The South's Gateway to the Americas" They didn't just stick this sign up 30 years ago because it sounded cool --> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ansAirport.jpg

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-18-2010 at 07:23 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
Quote:
The only thing that NOLA lacks in that list, is more access to shopping. What food can I get there, that I can't get here. I had Jamaican for lunch today, West African yesterday. I can get Cuban, Vietnamese, Italian, Creole, Cajun, Haitian, African, Caribbean, Brazilian (gotta love Picahna), Salvadorian, Honduran (Pupusas, yum), Nicoraguan, Dominican.. and I can go on all day.

The weather isn't all that different. It doesn't take much variation to produce a 10 degree difference.

How can someone think that NOLA is not as known as Miami. The # of ppl coming to a place doesn't mean that they don't know it's there.
Let's see:

One of the largest Carnival celebrations behind Rio. (That grabs the world's catholics and hardcore partiers' attention.)

Over the last 20 years ago New Orleans has served 30 + intl destinations. What does that tell you?

^You do the math.

You also can't grasp this whole "Airline industry" thing either. It's not about demand, it's about $.

The only difference is that Miami has more going for it internationally in the business world. I love Miami to death, and think that it is one of my fav. cities in the country, but do some research before you go flying off about how it compares to other places. You need to learn your history, before MIA and IAH picked up, MSY was "The South's Gateway to the Americas" They didn't just stick this sign up 30 years ago because it sounded cool --> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ansAirport.jpg

All that you just said Miami is more international known than NO... point blank.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:

Let's see:

^You do the math.

Exactly there is no money to be made in New Orleans because not enough people travel there. If there was enough traveling to New Orleans an airline would fly it, a high density low service airline like Air Berlin or Monarch would be on it. Air Berlin flys to Ft. Myers not exactly a large place but hey there is money there so why not fly it yet there is not enough demand in international tourism to fly a MSY-Europe flight. That is the point I am trying to make.

I guess agree to disagree but I think Miami is still much more known internationally. One of my spanish professors here in Spain knew nothing about Maurdi Graus as it was brought up in class today.

I am sure people in Dubai know more about Miami then New Orleans or people in Argentina or Japan etc.. Yes New Orleans is known internationally but I just dont see it on the same level thats all. (again agree to disagree) Until one of us takes a poll outside in a few countries we will never know

As for MSY being the gateway to the America's thats a nice sign and all and maybe they did have some flights but Miami was the gateway to the America's starting in the 1930s with Dinner Key with Pan Am. MIA became a large gateway in the 1950s when Pan Am stopped flying the flying boats and moved operations to MIA. So starting in the 1950s MIA has always been a big international Gateway. 30 years ago in 1980 Eastern and Pan Am were flying flights all over Latin America from their Miami hub.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Exactly there is no money to be made in New Orleans because not enough people travel there. If there was enough traveling to New Orleans an airline would fly it, a high density low service airline like Air Berlin or Monarch would be on it. Air Berlin flys to Ft. Myers not exactly a large place but hey there is money there so why not fly it yet there is not enough demand in international tourism to fly a MSY-Europe flight. That is the point I am trying to make.
I'm trying to get you to see that tourism alone is not going to bring flights (With the exception of a place like Vegas or Orlando). Business and "Ethnic" travel basically do that every else. Your trying to make it as if it's that simple, when it's not.

Just because a place gets travellers for various reasons from various places does not mean that it is more "known" than anywhere else.

Quote:
I guess agree to disagree but I think Miami is still much more known internationally. One of my spanish professors here in Spain knew nothing about Maurdi Graus as it was brought up in class today.
Same here. Otherwise, this could go on forever.

Quote:
I am sure people in Dubai know more about Miami then New Orleans or people in Argentina or Japan etc.. Yes New Orleans is known internationally but I just dont see it on the same level thats all. (again agree to disagree) Until one of us takes a poll outside in a few countries we will never know
Right, that's not going to happen.

Quote:
As for MSY being the gateway to the America's thats a nice sign and all and maybe they did have some flights but Miami was the gateway to the America's starting in the 1930s with Dinner Key with Pan Am. MIA became a large gateway in the 1950s when Pan Am stopped flying the flying boats and moved operations to MIA. So starting in the 1950s MIA has always been a big international Gateway. 30 years ago in 1980 Eastern and Pan Am were flying flights all over Latin America from their Miami hub.
Consider this.
New Orleans was bigger than Miami back then. MSY was one of the biggest aiports in the country that far back, bigger than MIA. Eastern and PanAM had Latin America covered from MSY. Not to mention TACA, Aviateca, AeroMexico. That's not included service from Europe or the Caribbean.

NOLA may pale in numbers with Miami today, but back then it was a force to be reckoned with. Therefore you can't just say that NOLA isn't known world-wide like Miami. NOLA was known before Miami.

As far as nightlife between the too, They offer almost the exact same thing. They have almost the same immigrant groups (Miami just has more numbers of each). The weather is usually close, NOLA is more extreme on each end at times. IMO Gulf beaches are better than Atlantic beaches, but Miami makes up for it by having the beach right there vs. 45 min away. As far as comparing them both to Houston... No Contest.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 8,302 times
McAllen, TX have good nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City