Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 12:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Do you think the sherpa living in the Himalayas dreams about moving to Houston one day? Get real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
You sure about that? I bet they'd jump at the chance to live on the beach and wear short sleeves year-round. They don't even know what a "Houston" is, my friend.
Who cares?

Go over to the Mid East, northern Europe or the UK. They're probably more likely to know about Houston because of the connection to the energy industry and large corporate presence. When they know of Miami, it's probably for pop culture like Miami Vice, South Beach or fashion-related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 03:41 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'd say Miami and Houston are pretty comparable as far as worldwide recognition. Houston may be a little more diverse, but I'm sure both are equally internationally recognized.
Houston is well known internationally, no doubt. FlyMIA and I were comparing Houston's nightlife to NO and MIA.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 PM

353 posts, read 816,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'd say Miami and Houston are pretty comparable as far as worldwide recognition. Houston may be a little more diverse, but I'm sure both are equally internationally recognized.
As a lot of posters have replied this is not true at all, In fact Houston even though people have heard some relation regarding the city, the likely hood of knowing where it is and knowing much about is very slim to about none, since your average person really outside of the United States have little knowledge of cities in the State if Texas except maybe they might know a bit more about Dallas "Cowboys" but other than that to them the actual state of Texas usually stands out more.

where in Miami's case, foreigners refer to the state of Florida as much as the refer to Miami.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
As a lot of posters have replied this is not true at all, In fact Houston even though people have heard some relation regarding the city, the likely hood of knowing where it is and knowing much about is very slim to about none, since your average person really outside of the United States have little knowledge of cities in the State if Texas except maybe they might know a bit more about Dallas "Cowboys" but other than that to them the actual state of Texas usually stands out more.

where in Miami's case, foreigners refer to the state of Florida as much as the refer to Miami.
The average foreign tourist will probably be more familiar with Miami. The average foreign business will be more than likely be familiar with Houston, especially if it is health or energy related.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The average foreign tourist will probably be more familiar with Miami. The average foreign business will be more than likely be familiar with Houston, especially if it is health or energy related.
LOL all this is based on speculation. I would think foreigners are educated people. I am pretty sure they know about the majority of the top 10 most populated metro's in the country. Hell I am in college and I am becoming an expert on the Middle East.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
LOL all this is based on speculation. I would think foreigners are educated people. I am pretty sure they know about the majority of the top 10 most populated metro's in the country. Hell I am in college and I am becoming an expert on the Middle East.
The average American probably doesn't know or care about whats in the state next door, much less the other side of the United States. I'm actually giving a benefit of a doubt.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Foreigners are educated people? Some are...the educated ones. Think about all of the third-world countries where elementary education isn't even compulsory. I would say that more of the world is UNeducated.

Quick - name the 7th largest city in China...I have two college degrees and have always loved geography/urban development, but I have no idea what it is.

(answer: Shenzhen)

Old 02-21-2010, 06:23 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
I would be surprised if lets say over 30% of people in Europe knew that. I am in Spain right now meeting lots of people from the area. Last night one of my friends said he was from Colorado and these people thought there were deserts and horses with cowboys there. They had no idea what Denver is. They were probably thinking more of Texas but they really did not know much about the US but they did know some things about Miami.

Miami is definetly more recongnized in the world by then Houston. How many music videos, tv shows, movies take place in Houston? Houston does not have world famous beaches or night life either. You would be surprised of how little many forgeigners know about the US. People complain about Americans not knowing anything about Europe etc.. But it is not like people outside the US know that much about the US. And the US is a big place.

Except for people in busisness Houston is thought as a cowboy place with NASA. No one thinks of it as the large international city it is.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Except for people in busisness Houston is thought as a cowboy place with NASA. No one thinks of it as the large international city it is.
In my experiance, everybody Ive talked to overseas knows its a city in Texas and that NASA is there. Beyond that, most people dont know much. Houston has the name recognition even if people dont know much about it.

In my opinion, Dallas probably has the greatest name recognition of the cities in Texas worldwide (no doubt due to the Cowboys and the TV show).

Old 02-21-2010, 02:29 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
So basically Houston internationalism Is in the closet and Miami's is knocking on the front door. I would think Miami is more recognized than Houston. Due to commerce culture Finance Fashion Media and Film.. Very well known in pop culture too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City