Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dance songs were fine at first, but now its too many and it's annoying.
I agree, I've told people I"m tired of songs tryin to tell me what to do, can't I just do my own thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami is a college town? How is Miami a college town. University of Miami has 10,000 students and FIU is mainly a commuter school. DC, Boston those are college towns Miami is not a college town. Also you do know Miami is one of the largest international finance centers in the US. I think maybe only NYC beats it. Lets not forget about some of the large companies based in Miami and the 100's of multi-national companies that have Latin America HQ's in Miami. Also Miami is a huge media center. Yes there are a lot of tourist in Miami but there are also a lot of tourist in New York and ONLY tourist in Las Vegas. There are also A LOT of very wealthy and sucessful people who live in Miami running these international companies, law firms etc.. Miami might not be on the same level as NYC but its night life is one of the best in the world and it is known worldwide for it. People in Europe dont go to Las Vegas for night life they go to Miami.

I guess doc. Miami is cool...you dont have to prove anything to me...I just dont think its on par with NY...I doubt people in Europe go to either Las Vegas or Miami for nightlife unless they are less wealthy...I suspect most people from Europe go to LA and/or NY for kicks, but I guess Miami could be a destination for some also.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:58 PM

353 posts, read 816,628 times
^^ What dude are you serious?!!! why do you speak like Miami is nothing for Europe, IT'S HUGE OVER THERE! trust me I have a grandma that lived in spain (canaray islands) for more than 6 years, and even myself lived there for 2 and a half year, also she traveled all across Europe and I can tell you that Miami is significantly important in Europe, I guess the weather and is gorgeous beaches plus it's people equal some sort of paradise to them... LA is to far, I wouldn't be surprise if Miami gets more European travelers.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I guess doc. Miami is cool...you dont have to prove anything to me...I just dont think its on par with NY...I doubt people in Europe go to either Las Vegas or Miami for nightlife unless they are less wealthy...I suspect most people from Europe go to LA and/or NY for kicks, but I guess Miami could be a destination for some also.
Europeans love Miami, they travel here often and more often it is higher income europeans that come here. Miami is not cheap and Miami is known for having a much better nightlife then LA and better beaches as long as you do not like surfing. Italians flock to Miami, Germans love it here, British love doing the Miami/Orlando trip. Spanish come here a lot and so do the French. You could not be anymore wrong. I am trying to talk about this with personal experience, facts, knowledge of tourism and airlines and you are just suspecting and your guesses are wrong for the most part.

As for Miami being on level with NYC that is all up to personal opinion I guess. So there is not wrong or right answer.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Europeans love Miami, they travel here often and more often it is higher income europeans that come here. Miami is not cheap and Miami is known for having a much better nightlife then LA and better beaches as long as you do not like surfing. Italians flock to Miami, Germans love it here, British love doing the Miami/Orlando trip. Spanish come here a lot and so do the French. You could not be anymore wrong. I am trying to talk about this with personal experience, facts, knowledge of tourism and airlines and you are just suspecting and your guesses are wrong for the most part.

As for Miami being on level with NYC that is all up to personal opinion I guess. So there is not wrong or right answer.

Could be...I have my doubts, but you could be right....I just havent heard of many foreigners making a beeline to Miami just for its nightlife...Most Ive heard usually go to the beach...but oh well, like I said, you dont have to prove anything to me, believe what you want to believe..But since Im a Houstonian it doesnt matter to me one way or the other who goes to Miami...My point this whole time has been that both Miami's and N.O.'s nightlife is better than Houston's.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
What does being a immigrant destination in the 1800s and early 20th century have to do wit this. 50% of Miami population was born outside the US if you want to talk about immigrants. That is the highest percentage in the world. I was actually talking to a women from spain today and she knew nothing about Mardi Gras in New Orleans and almost nothing about the city. She studied 4 years in the states too. When New Orleans has more then just a 45 Seat Regional Jet to ONE international city then we can talk about International tourist. New Orleans in no way is an international destination like Miami. People from Italy or Russia dont have second homes in New Orleans they do in Miami. The two can compare in Night Life fine I will give it that. But in NO way can they compare in international tourist or being known internationally. The city is lucky to have one International airline flying there. Again if so many international tourist went to N.O. why no flights?
New Orleans may not bring in as many "international" tourists as Miami, but you don't have to ask who wins the national concensus for nightlife out of the two.

New Orleans was flooded out with tourist for the superbowl. Metro area booked solid. Many of those who went to Miami from N.O. for the superbowl came back complaining.

BTW: as far as the one flight. We can thank Katrina and the fact that it's more profitable for CO, DL, & AA to connect intl flights in Houston, Atlanta, and Miami then it is the come to New Orleans. Also, ask someone from Central America, South America, France, or the UK about New Orleans. Also look up how many intl flights come to N.O. that stop somewhere along the way. I think Continental flight 4 might be an example. Look up the foreign cruises that come in and the seasonal British Airways and Monarch charters.

What do Russians having homes in Miami have to do with nightlife?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
DC, Boston those are college towns
LOL, I can only assume that you were kidding.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I agree, I didn't even know the Halle Berry was a dance, they're getting less and less creative.
They have a dance to this? No, seriously?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Could be...I have my doubts, but you could be right....I just havent heard of many foreigners making a beeline to Miami just for its nightlife...Most Ive heard usually go to the beach...but oh well, like I said, you dont have to prove anything to me, believe what you want to believe..But since Im a Houstonian it doesnt matter to me one way or the other who goes to Miami...My point this whole time has been that both Miami's and N.O.'s nightlife is better than Houston's.
Take it from someone who has no dog in this fight, Miami is a HUGE destination for Southern European Countries (Spain, Portugal, Italy, and France). Its not as big for the English, the Germans, or the Scandic countires (minus Finland-for which Miami again is very popular). Its popular for Russia as well.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Take it from someone who has no dog in this fight, Miami is a HUGE destination for Southern European Countries (Spain, Portugal, Italy, and France). Its not as big for the English, the Germans, or the Scandic countires (minus Finland-for which Miami again is very popular). Its popular for Russia as well.

Cool..thanks for the info...for the last time though I personally dont care about Miami nor its nightlife..The thread is comparing Houston's nightlife to other sunbelt cities. I did that..I never said that Europeans dont go to Miami..I said I dont think they go there for its nightlife, as much as for its beaches...Europeans come to Houston, but I doubt its for its nightlife..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City