Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 05:11 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,428 times

Advertisements

Sorry if I am not cooperating here and playing "follow the leader". I do not care what someone in Ibiza thinks or what they have heard of. I much prefer the nightlife of LA, New Orleans, Houston and San Diego (for sunbelt cities) and many Northern cities as well, over South Beach. I do not give in no matter how many people attempt to "shout me down" over the internet because they live vicariously through celebrity and model opinions on nightlife and I do not conform to this opinion. I did not find South Beach to be all that... sue me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
^ who is shouting you down? LA is just as glitzy as South Beach, thank God New Orleans has jazz because otherwise it would be a outdoor frat party interspersed with the Jerry Springer show.
Houston's nightlife? I would imagine a night at Dave & Busters would be as exciting.
Oh and I don't have to live South Beach through a celebrity or a model, I have lived it!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:10 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
thank God New Orleans has jazz because otherwise it would be a outdoor frat party interspersed with the Jerry Springer show.
A rather silly mischaracterization of New Orleans, IMO. There is far more to the city's entertainment and cultural scene than that...but I suspect that you know that already.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 AM

362 posts, read 1,057,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
It's different strokes for different folks. I don't feel that "edge" in Austin or San Antonio that I get out of downtown Houston. In numbers of pedestrians, you might have a point for your case. In terms of genuine "urban vibe", perhaps not.

New Orleans and SF don't follow typical Sun Belt construction...though they are in the Sun Belt, I don't really consider them as such.

In Houston...I take the overall context. The downtown is fascinating in its own way...yet it is but one point in what's morphing in a great hybrid metro.

San Antonio's downtown is really cool, more european feel, old world charm and lots of color. Street level is bustling then you have the Riverwalk below street level, it's another world. It's a mix of visitors and locals, at least what I noticed at the clubs, and miles of it, not just a few spots on one corner like in Houston. Houston has nothing comprable.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A rather silly mischaracterization of New Orleans, IMO. There is far more to the city's entertainment and cultural scene than that...but I suspect that you know that already.
lol Decatur I am just trying to be as silly. I know New Orleans is not a frat party with Jazz!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Does the fact that I live in DFW really make a difference?

Ive been clubbing and partying in every major city in the US, thats what I came away with. Im not talking about number of clubs.

Houston (for example) has hip-hop clubs that (in my opinion) are well above average. Lots of local talent showcased and there seemes to a real comradery among the local talent there.

On the flip side of that coin, the electronic clubs Ive been to there are below what I can experiance in most major cities. The local talent isnt nonexistant, but it doesnt stand out either.

The jazz clubs there are nice, but they didnt stand out like they do in New Orleans, Memphis, or St. Louis that Ive been to.

Im happy here in Dallas because the electronic clubs and raves Ive been to have been top notch. Dallas produces (and has produced) some amazing talent in that genre (DJ Avi, Maetrik, Shock of Pleasure-a bit more mellow, but still amazing electonic music, etc.).

On the flip side of that coin, every other hip-hop club Ive been to here has closed their nights with fights. Ive never seen so many fights at the club as I have here in Dallas. The local talent and scene dont seem to stick well together here either.

Those are just examples, but thats what Ive come away with. Only New York, LA, San Fran, Chicago, and Miami (to a lesser degree) seem to have above average clubs in every genre.
Very interesting insight (I'm not allowed by the moderators to rep you at the moment). While I agree with you on Dallas's scene, I always thought that Houston has historically had a thriving electronic music scene.

But I definitely agree with you on Houston's hip hop scene. It has had an excellent array of hip hop artists for the past 20 years--starting with the Geto Boyz--which includes the legendary Scarface--that basically was the first group to put the South on the map in hip hop. Although Atlanta is currently at the forefront of Southern hip hop--no matter if you personally like the Atlanta acts or not--it was Houston that was largely responsible for that specific genre of hip hop music.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM

965 posts, read 1,885,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Sorry if I am not cooperating here and playing "follow the leader". I do not care what someone in Ibiza thinks or what they have heard of. I much prefer the nightlife of LA, New Orleans, Houston and San Diego (for sunbelt cities) and many Northern cities as well, over South Beach. I do not give in no matter how many people attempt to "shout me down" over the internet because they live vicariously through celebrity and model opinions on nightlife and I do not conform to this opinion. I did not find South Beach to be all that... sue me

No one should be impressed by celebrities anyhow. Most of them are depraved devil worshipers or puppets of the Illuminati anyhow. Or MKULTRA mind control experiments gone awry (Michael Jackson [RIP] and Britney Spears are good examples of this, and I think that Miley Cyrus is another one).

Old 02-14-2010, 06:14 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
No one should be impressed by celebrities anyhow. Most of them are depraved devil worshipers or puppets of the Illuminati anyhow. Or MKULTRA mind control experiments gone awry (Michael Jackson [RIP] and Britney Spears are good examples of this, and I think that Miley Cyrus is another one).
Like, is Miley Cyrus a celebrity? Really?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1;12881464[B
]Sorry if I am not cooperating here and playing "follow the leader".[/b] I do not care what someone in Ibiza thinks or what they have heard of. I much prefer the nightlife of LA, New Orleans, Houston and San Diego (for sunbelt cities) and many Northern cities as well, over South Beach. I do not give in no matter how many people attempt to "shout me down" over the internet because they live vicariously through celebrity and model opinions on nightlife and I do not conform to this opinion. I did not find South Beach to be all that... sue me
You don't have to play follow the leader to ADMIT a place has good night life. South Beach has GREAT night life BOTTOM line. You don't have to like it if you don't want to, it's all subjective. But in the end it has great nightlife. The problem me and the other Miami defenders on this thread have is, why did the OP and others have to DOWNPLAY South Beach nightlife in order to UPLIFT Houston's nightlife? Let Houston stand on it's own two. Houston has PLENTY of artist in Genres ALL ACROSS the board, to support it's growing nightlife. Houston is a UNDERRATED nightlife city. Why PLAY the "South Beach isn't that great", or the "If you like South Beach you're just a follower" card? That's the only issue me and others have on this thread.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:30 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Illuminati got the mind soul and body. It's crazy isn't it? I wouldn't say MOST of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City