Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 09:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

My problem was just people trying to downplay South Beach to uplift H-Town, when it is REALLY REALLY famous. Personal preference is one thing, BUT facts, are facts. I just don't like when people try to designate everyone as zombies or followers if they like South Beach. It's not like people from Miami are constantly disrespecting Houston and others. Miami is in the same category as Houston in the disrespect category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 03:54 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
EEERRRR! pump the brakes. New Orleans nightlife is always ranked at the top in the country. Many times it is the best. Personally I would say that it is better than Miami's. I would lay that it is better than LA's, and I would say that it's better than New York's. I would say it's better than the A. Sorry... I have not been to Europe, but I have been to those cities. New Orleans is just good at parting. I know it's smaller than those, but you got to give credit where credit is due. It may not be your cup of tea, but if you've been there you can see why some people may feel like that is it for them.
New Orleans does have great night life but it is much more known in the US. It is not on the same level of Miami or Vegas or NYC in world wide popularity. New Orleans does have great night life but it is much more known in the US. It is not on the same level of Miami or Vegas or NYC in world wide popularity. Your poll is America's not the worlds. I will say for the South the battle is between Miami and NO no one comes close and in the US New Orleans might win it is very much liked in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Let's not downplay New Orleans one bit. The world knows of Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street and the famous architecture that surrounds that area. It is very much known like South Beach.
I can almost garuntee if I walk outside my Apartment right now (in Barcelona Spain) and asked people what is Bourbon Street or what is New Orleans a lot less people would know if compared to South Beach or Miami. It would not be close. When I tell people from Spain I am from Miami they ask about it, they are impressed they know about the city etc.. I highly doubt the same would be true if I asked about New Orleans. The only International flight to New Orleans is a commuter jet to Mexico City. If it was so famous why dont people go there? It is very famous in the US but not that much of an international destination unlike Miami which is a international hot spot for tourism.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 AM

353 posts, read 816,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree Bourbon street is world famous.
Mardi grass does not make it world famous, I'm sorry
American Famous yes, but definitively not world famous... I think the poster above me described it well

Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 AM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I agree. Miami the city has nothing that compares to the French Quarter. South Beach is a different story and again, they are about on the same level. That's me though.

And the French quarter is nothing like south beach..Miami tourisM
blows NO out the water nationally and internationally. That's why I say people are way more familiar with South Beach.. Miami nightlife caters to too many genres of people.. I'll put money that more people have partied in Miami than NO. New Orleans is not some place that I'm just going to pack up on a regular weekend and go to have fun or vacation. Plus I'm a gay male and NO definitly does not cater to the gay community like Miami does fads as nightlife.. I like options and I have plenty when I'm in Miami

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 02-15-2010 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
While Ive thoroughly enjoyed Houston's nightlife, those videos did more to damage Houston's nightlife credibility than to build it. It would have been much better to just skip the vids and let people wonder what Houston's nighlife is like, than to show them those videos and reaffirm their perception that its dead.

That said, I think Houston's nightlife is pretty comparable to Miami's...I dont think it beats Miami's..but it wouldnt just be a blowout...But, although I think NO's nightlife is one of the best in the U.S., and certainly better than Houston's, I still categorize it as a very niche nightlife environment...I think the strength of Houston's nightlife lies in its diversity, and the wide dispersal of its venues across the city.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
In terms of gay nightlife I dunno how Houstons is but the Miami scene seems to really be moving up to Ft Lauderdale and their bar scene is pretty sad for a metro that big. And surprisingly not the most attractive people I might add.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
While Ive thoroughly enjoyed Houston's nightlife, those videos did more to damage Houston's nightlife credibility than to build it. It would have been much better to just skip the vids and let people wonder what Houston's nighlife is like, than to show them those videos and reaffirm their perception that its dead.

That said, I think Houston's nightlife is pretty comparable to Miami's...I dont think it beats Miami's..but it wouldnt just be a blowout...But, although I think NO's nightlife is one of the best in the U.S., and certainly better than Houston's, I still categorize it as a very niche nightlife environment...I think the strength of Houston's nightlife lies in its diversity, and the wide dispersal of its venues across the city.
You just said Houston's night life is like the videos and then you say Houston has a good night life? Which one? And it is in no way comparable to Miami's if we are talking Miami/Miami Beach as Miami and Miami Beach put together still does not even get close to the size of Houston both population and area.
Cities that Miami is on in the level of Night Life are:
New York, London, Barcelona, Madrid, Las Vegas, Berlin, Tokyo that is Miami's crowd. Houston does not come close to Miami's night life.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I highly doubt the same would be true if I asked about New Orleans. The only International flight to New Orleans is a commuter jet to Mexico City. If it was so famous why dont people go there? It is very famous in the US but not that much of an international destination unlike Miami which is a international hot spot for tourism.
The lack of slow down of intl flights is due to Katrina and the fact that it's easier to connect in Houston, Atlanta, or Miami. We do charters flights from Europe, South America, etc. all the times as well as cruises coming in from Europe. If it's not on the level on recognition with Miami, then it's close.

I would research all of this if I was you. You'd be surprised.
Happy Mardi Gras!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Oh yeah, today is Mardi Gras.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
Mardi grass does not make it world famous, I'm sorry
American Famous yes, but definitively not world famous... I think the poster above me described it well
My friends in Paris and London are well aware of Mardi Gras (one just e-mailed to ask if I was there LOL)...what Europeans seem to be the most aware of in NOLA IME is the city's jazz heritage. Louis Armstrong is like a god to the Parisians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City