Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times

Advertisements

And Los Angeles is ultimate. I love LA. Love hopping in to some of those Korean places on Western...went to see an acoustic show up in some cool bar north of downtown...prefer Santa Monica Main St. to 3rd St. Prom...

But problem in LA is that Melrose, Santa Monica Main, Sunset, Santa Monica Blvd, Robertson...and such all have the same sidewalks and storefronts. Just different signage and demographics, really.

In Houston...at least you can tell the difference in vibe between Morningside St.(Rice Village), lower Westheimer (Montrose), Travis St. (downtown) and White Oak (the Heights)...the streetscapes really differ from each other...thus giving a contrast of ambience to me.

That matters to some of us.

Miami?

Really, Houston doesn't compare in scope of various nightlife?

Can you find those awesome Asian chill and eat late night places like Cafe 101, Yummy's Cafe, Happy Teahouse and such in Miami? Those are sprouting big time in Houston. Damn, I really LOVE Cafe 101. I really want to go again...if my wife let's me. Miami can keep its unfriendly cafes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I have been to South Beach.

What is so urban about that?

It's kind of pre-fabricated...to polished. It's there for whoever thinks they want to rub elbows with celebrities or are celebrities themselves.

But the AREA...not nearly in downtown Houston's class in terms of urban flavor.

And South Beach is not downtown. Los Angeles downtown is comparatively dead after the Garment District shutsdown apart from Lakers games.

And why would Houston, a culturally-sophisticated metro of almost 6 million including millions of transplants and transients (many with money) not have nightlife comparable to LA and Miami?

South Beach is NOT pre-fabricated. It's a historic district that was re-gentrified starting back in the late 1980's. If you want "pre-fabricated" in Florida, Celebration over by Disney World would suit your needs.

Like I said before, Houston is a cosmopolitan, international city in its own right and they have some great things going on, but Miami and LA it ain't. Sorry to burst your bubble of delusions of grandeur and blind homerism.

A comparison of South Beach to DT Houston is apples and oranges. If you were comparing DT Houston directly to DT Miami, then I'd say you'd have more of an argument.

And yes you are right, the service in South Beach is downright rude and disgusting. I just remind myself that working models and actors aren't waiters.

Last edited by grindin; 02-12-2010 at 07:12 AM..

Old 02-12-2010, 08:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
And Los Angeles is ultimate. I love LA. Love hopping in to some of those Korean places on Western...went to see an acoustic show up in some cool bar north of downtown...prefer Santa Monica Main St. to 3rd St. Prom...

But problem in LA is that Melrose, Santa Monica Main, Sunset, Santa Monica Blvd, Robertson...and such all have the same sidewalks and storefronts. Just different signage and demographics, really.

In Houston...at least you can tell the difference in vibe between Morningside St.(Rice Village), lower Westheimer (Montrose), Travis St. (downtown) and White Oak (the Heights)...the streetscapes really differ from each other...thus giving a contrast of ambience to me.

That matters to some of us.

Miami?

Really, Houston doesn't compare in scope of various nightlife?

Can you find those awesome Asian chill and eat late night places like Cafe 101, Yummy's Cafe, Happy Teahouse and such in Miami? Those are sprouting big time in Houston. Damn, I really LOVE Cafe 101. I really want to go again...if my wife let's me. Miami can keep its unfriendly cafes.
Sorry dude, but no way in hell does Houston have a better nightlife than Miami or LA. All of the neighborhoods you mention in LA are different and Miami is known worldwide for their nightlife.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Having lived in Dallas, Austin, and partied in Houston and San Antonio until I was blue in the face, I can say that the clubs scenes in these cities are not as good as they used to be. Yes, they're still good, but if anybody honestly believes that Houston OR Austin are better than LA, they're hugely mistaken. All the Austin (and other Texas cities) pimping just makes me really hate Texas as a whole, even though CD is only a small representation of what people actually believe.
AMEN! Points to you!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
From that indmix website, Houston's hip hop club scene seems better than here in Atlanta.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
From that indmix website, Houston's hip hop club scene seems better than here in Atlanta.
I wouldn't know. Houston does have a very underrated scene but I'm sure Atlanta has a website like this.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM

^^^I think every city has something their nightlife does best.

Cities like Houston and Atlanta are known for their hip-hop club/culture. Thats what they do best.

Cities like Dallas and Miami are known for their electronic/rave/techno culture. Thats what they do best.

Then there are cities that are bar cities like Austin and New Orleans.

Then there are the all around cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and New York. They do everything well.

Though Miami, Houston, and Dallas all have tons of reggaeton, salsa, bachita, latino, etc. clubs as well.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
^^^I think every city has something their nightlife does best.

Cities like Houston and Atlanta are known for their hip-hop club/culture. Thats what they do best.

Cities like Dallas and Miami are known for their electronic/rave/techno culture. Thats what they do best.

Then there are cities that are bar cities like Austin and New Orleans.

Then there are the all around cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and New York. They do everything well.

Though Miami, Houston, and Dallas all have tons of reggaeton, salsa, bachita, latino, etc. clubs as well.
IMO, this is a shame. I remember when Houston was more cutting edge and used to be known for places like Club 6400. THAT was when Houston had a good nightlife scene.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
IMO, this is a shame. I remember when Houston was more cutting edge and used to be known for places like Club 6400. THAT was when Houston had a good nightlife scene.
Houston has a good nightlife scene. It's just not at the level of South Beach or New Orleans or anything. They probably still have the type of clubs you are talking about. But Houston's hip hop clubs have been popular in the city for a while.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:00 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston has a good nightlife scene. It's just not at the level of South Beach or New Orleans or anything. They probably still have the type of clubs you are talking about. But Houston's hip hop clubs have been popular in the city for a while.
When compared to other cities regarding nightlife, Houston fared better in the early 90's. I guess almost every city goes through a watered-down stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City