Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I've met plenty of people over 25 who still enjoys Austin's nightlife, but that's not true for everyone obviously. Which city has the better nightlife is subject to opinion (you can find a lot in Austin that you can't find Houston and visa versa), but the OT was about how Houston's downtown compares in liveliness compared to other Sunbelt cities. From my experience, Houston's downtown liveliness pails in comparison to San Antonio and Austin (not to mention New Orleans or SF)
I agree, but he also brought up other nightlife districts in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:57 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Has L.A.'s reputation changed in the last 24 hours or something? It's one of the US's nightlife capitals along with Miami, Las Vegas, and NYC.....
They're talking stricty about the downtowns of these cities.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Houston may just not have a centralized nightlife. I will say though, having a bar district does create a very cool vibe. In Dallas, The Mckinney Ave/Uptown, Greenville Ave/M Streets, Main St/ Downtown & Cedar Springs/Oak Lawn areas have great street scenes and its so fun to hop from bar to bar. I was with friends and they had friends/family in town from Austin and they said Austin was fun but didn't have nearly the scale and options Dallas offered. A friend of mine was just in Dallas for work and had previously gone to Houston for something and said Dallas was a lot more fun. I would say Dallas, Las Vegas and LA have the best nightlife in the west. And, I just realized this thread was about downtown comparisons sorry! =) Anyway, the Main St and West End areas of downtown Dallas have pretty good crowds, not like what you see in the other areas of town I mentioned though.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree, but he also brought up other nightlife districts in Houston.
Well, I can't blame you for a badly worded OT. Besides, the clips he showed where not very "lively" for a Saturday night and I think most people would agree with me. Nothing against Houston's nightlife (I agree that it is a bit underrated and it's certainly not "boring"), but to me it seems the OP is trying to make it appear to be something it's not. There's nothing wrong with Houston's nightlife being spread out, but I don't think I would refer to the spots he mentioned as being the most lively in the Sunbelt.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
So what sunbelt cities actually have large, vibrant nightlife/entertainment districts in their downtown areas? The only ones I can seem to think of are Austin, New Orleans, and San Diego. Maybe Tampa with Ybor City? Is San Antonio's nightlife concentrated in downtown too? Miami is SOBE, LA's is not concentrated in downtown. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston don't seem to have their nightlife concentrated in downtown entertainment districts.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Is San Antonio's nightlife concentrated in downtown too?
Yes it is. Mainly around the Riverwalk. Also, I believe more people live in downtown SA than any other downtown in Texas.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So what sunbelt cities actually have large, vibrant nightlife/entertainment districts in their downtown areas? The only ones I can seem to think of are Austin, New Orleans, and San Diego. Maybe Tampa with Ybor City? Is San Antonio's nightlife concentrated in downtown too? Miami is SOBE, LA's is not concentrated in downtown. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston don't seem to have their nightlife concentrated in downtown entertainment districts.
I agree with your list

SA, SD, Austin, NO & Tampa

Old 02-11-2010, 01:22 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
To the person that said something about bar districts. That is very very true. Those are very fun. DC has lots of them. I'm now at the age where clubs are BORING to me. Bars are much more superior to me than clubs and going from bar to bar equals a great night. Houston is developing one at the Washington Avenue corridor.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
I like Clubs because I like to Dance I dont drink at all so bars would be boring to me just sitting there watching people get wasted.... So I would need a city that offers great clubs and Houston would do good in that area.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To the person that said something about bar districts. That is very very true. Those are very fun. DC has lots of them. I'm now at the age where clubs are BORING to me. Bars are much more superior to me than clubs and going from bar to bar equals a great night. Houston is developing one at the Washington Avenue corridor.
Yeah it is.
Party On Washington | Archive for Bars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7S93...layer_embedded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City