Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
IMO, this is a shame. I remember when Houston was more cutting edge and used to be known for places like Club 6400. THAT was when Houston had a good nightlife scene.
I think it's exaggerated. Hip-hop is definitely not Houston's strongest point. There's a scene, but it doesn't dominate the nightlife over the other genres by any means. The poster who said that lives in DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
And why are we digressing a bit to general "nightlife?"

Downtown nightlife in the Sunbelt. As Petula Clark sings..."DOWNTOWN."

I did not say "most vibrant"...I merely stated "most urban."

San Antonio's nightlife downtown doesn't feel all that edgy. It's lively but I don't feel like I'm in Chicago. Downtown Houston does feel fairly similar to Rush St. in Chicago.

Austin...same thing. More like Tampa's Ybor City of olde...with less douche bags.

Dallas...it's a bit too polished and whitebread in downtown for my tastes. It really is Oklahoma with more lights.

For that flair, I much prefer Ft. Worth, actually. The vibe seems more suited. Overall multi-cultural vibe of downtown Houston is much more appealing to me.

Of Sun Belt downtown nightlife...Houston's is most comparable to that of a Chicago in feel and vibe.
C'mon now, you know you're overexagerrating.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Truth be told, a large number of major cities do not have a large concentration of nightlife venues in the heart of their downtowns--especially if we use each city's respective definition of their downtown. For example, Chicagoans do not go out in the Loop as much as they do in neighborhoods such as Wicker Park or Lincoln Park. The cluster of bars and clubs that is near downtown isn't in the Loop per se, but rather it's along Rush Street and caters to tourists.

Dallas has Victory, but their downtown is pretty much dead at night. HOWEVER adjacent Uptown--which one could argue as part of their larger city center--there are blocks upon blocks of clubs and bars all within walking distance of each other.

Atlanta is pretty much the same way. There are some bars and clubs downtown, but most people go out in adjacent Midtown where there is a large concentration of clubs and bars in a very walkable area that is dominated by highrise development.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I think it's exaggerated. Hip-hop is definitely not Houston's strongest point. There's a scene, but it doesn't dominate the nightlife over the other genres by any means. The poster who said that lives in DFW.
Does the fact that I live in DFW really make a difference?

Ive been clubbing and partying in every major city in the US, thats what I came away with. Im not talking about number of clubs.

Houston (for example) has hip-hop clubs that (in my opinion) are well above average. Lots of local talent showcased and there seemes to a real comradery among the local talent there.

On the flip side of that coin, the electronic clubs Ive been to there are below what I can experiance in most major cities. The local talent isnt nonexistant, but it doesnt stand out either.

The jazz clubs there are nice, but they didnt stand out like they do in New Orleans, Memphis, or St. Louis that Ive been to.

Im happy here in Dallas because the electronic clubs and raves Ive been to have been top notch. Dallas produces (and has produced) some amazing talent in that genre (DJ Avi, Maetrik, Shock of Pleasure-a bit more mellow, but still amazing electonic music, etc.).

On the flip side of that coin, every other hip-hop club Ive been to here has closed their nights with fights. Ive never seen so many fights at the club as I have here in Dallas. The local talent and scene dont seem to stick well together here either.

Those are just examples, but thats what Ive come away with. Only New York, LA, San Fran, Chicago, and Miami (to a lesser degree) seem to have above average clubs in every genre.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Ive been clubbing and partying in every major city in the US, thats what I came away with. Im not talking about number of clubs.

Houston (for example) has hip-hop clubs that (in my opinion) are well above average. Lots of local talent showcased and there seemes to a real comradery among the local talent there.

On the flip side of that coin, the electronic clubs Ive been to there are below what I can experiance in most major cities. The local talent isnt nonexistant, but it doesnt stand out either.

The jazz clubs there are nice, but they didnt stand out like they do in New Orleans, Memphis, or St. Louis that Ive been to.

Im happy here in Dallas because the electronic clubs and raves Ive been to have been top notch. Dallas produces (and has produced) some amazing talent in that genre (DJ Avi, Maetrik, Shock of Pleasure-a bit more mellow, but still amazing electonic music, etc.).

On the flip side of that coin, every other hip-hop club Ive been to here has closed their nights with fights. Ive never seen so many fights at the club as I have here in Dallas. The local talent and scene dont seem to stick well together here either.

Those are just examples, but thats what Ive come away with. Only New York, LA, San Fran, Chicago, and Miami (to a lesser degree) seem to have above average clubs in every genre.
Well, I sure as hell won't be going to any hip-hop clubs in Dallas when I go there next week. I go through enough of that here in Atlanta. That sucks to hear.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM

353 posts, read 816,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

why to a lesser degree? Miami probably has more better nightclubs than chicago...

Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 PM

362 posts, read 1,058,131 times
H'towns downtown nightlife is not on the same level of Austin's nor San Antonio's.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Well, I sure as hell won't be going to any hip-hop clubs in Dallas when I go there next week. I go through enough of that here in Atlanta. That sucks to hear.
I dont want to scare you off, thats just what I found being through there. Maybe I went on bad nights, I dont know. I had a friend taking me around.

Check out Lower Greenville and Knox-Henderson. Those are great areas close to where youll be.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
why to a lesser degree? Miami probably has more better nightclubs than chicago...
Thats probably true, but I have found Chicagos nightlife to be more well rounded than Miamis. Miami's seems to be centered around the electronic and latin scenes. Chicago has that, plus just about everything else.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:30 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
well somebody has an axe to grind about South Beach! Houston may have a great nightlife but it doesn't compare to South Beach on any level! In fact very few cities do.
Go outside of the US and mention Ibiza, South Beach,etc. and people will recognize! Houston is not known for it's nightlife in the US and forget about it outside of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City